About to be diagnosed

Options
mystic
mystic Member Posts: 6
Hey,

I'm new to this so please bear with me lol.

I have been undergoing testing for a number of months now. The entire problem started in my wrist, and within a few months I was unable to really walk, get up out of my seat, and was in constant pain all over my body in almost every joint.
I am on my last stage of tests now...a steroid injection to see how it effects my body. I was told if it works (Which it is) I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I'm petrified. I'm 25 and am in complete and utter shock. The stress of having to wait so long for a diagnosis is taking its toll on me mentally and the constant pain physically. And also have the DWP on my back trying to force me into work when I can hardly move and before I officially know whats wrong (But thats another story).

There are so many questions I want answering but no one can tell me until they 'know whats wrong' and my GP says she isn't trained enough to go into detail, but there are months in between my RA consultant appointments. But the prospect of knowing this can progress and become worse, effect more than just the joints etc is a terrifying thought. All I have at the moment is what I have read online.

I know RA is the immune system attacking the body. My worry at the moment is I am coming down with what seems to be a bad cold.

Does anyone know how this will effect me with pain. Obviously colds make the immune system stronger to fight the cold but does this mean I will be in more pain? (All I am on at the moment are strong painkillers. No immune suppressing tablets etc.)

Regards

Mystic

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mystic

I'm not surprised to you are feeling how you are as this waiting to be told period is the worst! Hopefully you are not coming down with a cold, however if you are having an RA flare up it can feel as though you are about to come down with the worst cast of flu ever.

Regarding the DWP do not worry, every time you get a letter just give them a call to let them know your situation. Don't sit on the letter and let it stress you out. Just remember the letters come from someone trying to do their job, it is not personal even though it may seem like they are out to make your life difficult just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. The more you keep them updated the better. What you need to concentrate on is to be as stress free as possible right now as stress and anxiety will increase your pain.

If it would help to talk things through with one of us, give us a call. You never know having a chat may help to relieve some of that stress. Until you are put on the right medication you may want to consider take some omega 3 fish oil as this has anti-inflammatory properties.

Best wishes

Simona
  • mystic
    Options
    Hey

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is a cold I have and boy is it taking it out of me and still getting worse. I can say 100% its not a flare up as it was my partner who brought this home from work and currently he is suffering as well lol.

I'm just confused over what I should do. Obv a cold will mean my immune system will kick in more and make my RA worse. Do I take painkillers or cold/flu remedy lol. I'm going to my doctors tomorrow, I just hope she can help me.

The DWP I am currently in appeal with. One of their medical assessments has found me 'fit for work' so am appealing and may have to go to tribunal. So unfortunately I have no choice over the stresses that go with it, and it seems they don't really care about the fact I've not been diagnosed etc. They just want me back in work....even though my consultant has said under no circumstances should you work. and I have ALOT of discrepancies with the findings from it alot of contradictions have been found, not that I am surprised lol.
    I've called them etc to tell them and they don't listen. They have the 'results' from a degrading test and thats all they care about, regardless of my actual GP and Consultants advice to me. People laugh when I tell them what I had to do in this assessment, even my doctor found it ridiculous lol.

I might very well give you a call, but find it hard to talk at the moment as normally end up in tears (yes I'm an emotional person lol)

I just hope July hurries around soon, I just want to have an official diagnosis so I can start to get my life back on track as best I can.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    Options
    You really have got a lot on your plate at the moment haven't you. When it comes to emotions its not a problem we have broad shoulders and can cope with tears! :wink:

Simona
  • mystic
    Options
    Lol certainly do. Few other things going on around this as well which don't help health and family wise lol, but such is life :) Just gotta get on with it, and try not to let it drag you down too much.

When I have my voice back and my blocked nose has gone I might call lol, I think you might find it quite difficult to understand me at the moment as I am very nasal :lol: even the other half is like 'what' and I am to him...nightmare, I fear we will sit in silence due to not being able to understand each other lol!!

:)