MTX and infections

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hi all at Arthritis Care......

I have been on methotrexate for a few weeks. I went to my GP yesterday and I have a chest infection, I've been put on anti-biotics. I asked if I should take my weekly dose of MTX but she was very non-committal. I have no idea what to do! Should I take my usual dose on Saturday or wait till I'm better or just skip this week's dose?

Thank you so much,
Sophie.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Sophie,

Sorry to hear about your chest infection. This is really a time where you'd need to check with the rheumatology clinic (ring the rheumatology nurse). They would always need to know if you have been given antibiotics and would advise over whether to stop the methotrexate for a while.

Hope it all clears up quickly.

Guy
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you.
    I left a message at the clinic but no one called me back. :? I'll try again tomorrow.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    Thank you.
    I left a message at the clinic but no one called me back. :? I'll try again tomorrow.

Hello Princess.

It' very difficult to know what to do. I was told at the very beginning that if I have antibiotics then I should miss my MTX for that week, mainly because the antibiotics stop the MTX working properly.
    Now, I am just getting over a kidney infection and had antibiotics and my consultant said to carry on with the mtx injection.

It depends on which antibiotic you have been prescribed.
    I would have thought that as you are in the early stages of taking MTX, to miss one week would not do any harm, because it can take about 3 months for it to start working anyway.

Always ask your rheumy nurse or dr though. always best.

Joy