New here and wondering

tansy1
tansy1 Member Posts: 3
edited 1. Jun 2010, 10:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
is moving to live by the sea was a bad idea. Since getting here 2.5 years ago my joints have got steadily worse. Last winter was terrible and I am not much better now as it is always blowing a gale here and damp. I am seriously considering moving back inland if I can prove location as a factor in my worsening condition. Has anyone else had problems with coastal living?

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the site, I hope that you find it helpful for you!

Firstly, I don't know about moving to the sea, but could it be that you have to walk further to the shops or drive more? Also last winter was a bkkkkkr for all of us! :oops: :shock: We hav't had weather like that to put up with for a long time. I personally found that it effected me, in 2 ways, 1 I couldn't get out much to walk or visit anywhere, as we live in the middle of the countryside and only have very narrow lanes! 2 When I did go out it meant moving awkwardly and putting stress on the wrong places, leading to pain and increased stiffness.

Lets just enjoy summer and the warm weather, when it comes and next winter will, hopefully, will not be so bad!!! :wink:
    Love Sue
  • tansy1
    tansy1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sue
    woodbon wrote:
    Hello and welcome to the site, I hope that you find it helpful for you!

Thank you :)

Firstly, I don't know about moving to the sea, but could it be that you have to walk further to the shops or drive more? Also last winter was a bkkkkkr for all of us! :oops: :shock: We hav't had weather like that to put up with for a long time. I personally found that it effected me, in 2 ways, 1 I couldn't get out much to walk or visit anywhere, as we live in the middle of the countryside and only have very narrow lanes! 2 When I did go out it meant moving awkwardly and putting stress on the wrong places, leading to pain and increased stiffness.

That makes sense. I don't have a car but I was battling the elements just to get to the shops and I walked like a pregnant duck ;)

Lets just enjoy summer and the warm weather, when it comes and next winter will, hopefully, will not be so bad!!! :wink:

Good idea.

Tansy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Tansy
    Welcome.....not sure about costal living.....I do know damp andcold affect most of us.
    On the other hand there is a thread somewhere saying about the warm weather we had and how it affected some people {who were affected by the damp as well} That included me I thought it was just me until someone posted about the heat so we cant win LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Tansy,

Welcome to the forum :D Its a good place and this lot are so good with help, support and friendship.

I am not sure about the sea bit..... I don't live by it but tis only 5 miles away and here is high and we get a lot of battering with the weather as well....... Its also a very, very, very damp place....

I wonder if its just the weather wore you down as its been so bad? Sea air.... well here we get that all the time even though its not quite on the doorstep. The rain can make me ache but it might be cus I also do the pregnant duck walk and worry about slipping over..... I do tend to fall a bit....

It doesn't sound like your too happy there so maybe that's got something to do with it? If you were to move in land I can't say it wold be better for your bones but maybe you would feel happier? Mind upheaval of a move..... i don't know as I could do that bit now :wink:

I hope you are not too achy and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Tansy,

hard to say as we are all affected slightly differently.

I find the cold makes my arther much worse, battling against the wind makes walking even harder. Also walking on the sand very far makes me ache.

However, the sunshine and lovely seaside scene makes me feel a whole lot better. Personally I love the seaside.

All you can really do is weigh up the pros and cons ...

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Tansy

I'm with the others - give it another winter incase it WAS coz this one was soooo very bad.

Some people are effected by cold and damp - others by heat :roll: we're alldifferent eh?

Ar you missing anyone from the urban area you used to live in? My sis lives in scotland and is freeezing, but her friends make her so happy that she would never move - not for anything.

Lots to think about eh?

LOve

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think that arthritis will do whatever arthritis wants to do, no matter where you live, how you live or what you try to do to stop it. People in Greece have arthrtitis, as do the Spanish, the Brazillian, the French, the German - I don't think climate matters. Winter, spring, summer or autumn does not affect my version of the disease. It's a b*****d all the time. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I think that arthritis will do whatever arthritis wants to do, no matter where you live, how you live or what you try to do to stop it. People in Greece have arthrtitis, as do the Spanish, the Brazillian, the French, the German - I don't think climate matters. Winter, spring, summer or autumn does not affect my version of the disease. It's a b*****d all the time. Dreamdaisy

I must have the same version of Arthur as you Dreamdaisy its always puzzled me when people say their Arthur is worse in the damp or cold as I notice no difference winter or summer I am always achy and stiff even my fingers and toes..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi tanith, I think it varies from person to person. I have PA and not once has the weather altered what's happening. Goes to prove we're all different. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben