Arthur & Parathyroid glands

lozza812
lozza812 Member Posts: 25
Hi, I have Arthur in my knees and right hip, (long history), and I am finally waiting for my 1st Rhuemmy appointment in July.
However my blood test results have come back as low calcium and low Vit D.
I'm told by my work doctor that this is an unusual combination and may indicate problems with my parathyroid not functioning properly, again apparantly quite unusual.
I've found out that a hyperactive parathyroid is linked with oestoporosis, but can find little about hypo.
Symptoms include random cramping pain, mainly in legs, hips and the bottoms of my feet!
Does anyone have any experience of this sort of issue.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there and welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help I have OA ...but others will be along soon with some advice.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lozza,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. Am I right that your main arthritis diagnosis is osteoarthritis?
    I wonder whether you know the major reason for the rheumatology referral? Because rheumatologists tend not to manage a lot of osteoarthritis unless there are additional complications or difficult diagnoses.
    On the question of paranathyroid this is a medical enquiry which goes beyond our lay-persons medical knowledge. You might want to discuss this with someone medically qualified. If you need some support with this you can conact the rheumatology nurse and see if there is anything they would advise.
    I hope that is helpful

Guy