Hope :)

katherine810
katherine810 Member Posts: 67
edited 2. Jul 2010, 08:49 in Young people's community
Thought i'd bring a bit of happiness and hope onto this forum :)

I'm almost seventeen years old and i've had polyarticular JIA since i was four years old. I'm now pretty much in remmission and my methotrexate dose is starting to be reduced from 15mg down to 12.5 (which im on at the moment) and now 10mg. I'm also on enbrel twice a week which will start to be decreased if i have no problems with the lower doses of methotrexate. I've got no swelling, and everything is looking really positive for the future and im just really excited. Although i know i still have a long way to go, its an amazing feeling knowing coming off drugs may be a possibility when i was told i'd most likely be permenantly in a wheelchair by the age of fourteen!

Just a little message to all the parents with young children with arthritis to show that there can be positive outcomes despite what doctors may say in the begining and even more so now with all the new drugs!

Keep positive,
Katherine :) xxx

Comments

• wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katherine, that is great news and thank you for posting and letting us know.

I've just sneaked in (am 44 so far too old for this section!). I was diagnosed aged 7 and like you, didn't know which way my condition was going to go at the time, but it burnt itself out after a few years and although it has returned a few times, it has been easily controlled and hasn't stopped me doing much - gardening maybe, but as I'm not green-fingered, that's not a bad thing!

I'm sure there are many others like us who have improved greatly over time, but just stopped using the forum as their lives became busy in other ways. Can't blame them, but it does leave those who are suffering, wondering if they dare hope to get better.

Lois x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Katherine,

how fab, I'm so pleased for you. Your post will give definitely offer hope to others affected by JIA,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Katherine,

What a wonderful positive post.s0819.gif

As an oldie addressing a youngie ...I'm soooooooooooooo pleased for you.

Luv Legs :D:D:D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Aw, thank you Katherine for taking the time to spread your good news to one and all on the forum. It is truly good to read postings like yours. I do hope the youngsters call in and read your thread and also the parents of young children/teenagers/young adults who are going through it all.

I really wish you well and all the very best for the future. Do let us know how you are going on from time to time.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • katherine810
    Maybe i spoke too soon, i've had a swollen ankle the past couple of days, which gets worse after a day of standing and walking, but its not red, not painful and i'd put it down to the heat only its just one foot, my left one where all the problems started off..

As im not having any pain i dont think i should be worrying at this stage.. i guess ill just have to wait and see if theres any lovely inflamation in my blood test results (of a blood test i really should go and have, whoops bit overdue)

One question though, swelling without pain anyone ever had it? Is it linked to arthritis at all? xxx
  • katherine810
    Thankyou so much for all your lovely messages :) xxx
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi Katherine,

I've had that in my knees - sometimes a bit of heat as well, sometimes not. Best go get those bloods done, and hopefully things will die down. Try and rest it and maybe put some ice or frozen peas around the swollen area too.

Lois x
  • katherine810
    Thankyou :)

Probabally nothing to worry about, i'm still feeling postive :)xx