Steroid joint injections

anniesmum
anniesmum Member Posts: 102
edited 2. Sep 2010, 04:45 in My child has arthritis
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience of steroid joint injections. Annie is likely to need just one, maybe two and the consultant will do them either under a light general anasthetic or with laughing gas. They feel she would be a good candidate for laughing gas as she does take most things in her stride. I am worrying she is a bit young at 6 to go through something that sounds pretty unpleasant to me while awake .What do other people think??

Comments

• butterflywings
    butterflywings Member Posts: 25
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

My daughter is 9 and she has had two lots of steriod injections. Her first lot was last October (she had one injection in each knee) and then the same again in April this year.

She went to the children's hospital as a day patient and then after booking her in and doing a few health checks she was given some 'numb' cream on her hand and then when they were ready she was taken to theatre where she had light aneasthetic. After about half hour she was waking up in recovery. We had to stay in hospital for about 3 hours or until she had eaten and had a drink, been to the toilet etc and then we were allowed home. She had a little round plaster over the 'hole' which came off before the night was over.

I have to admit that she was nervous and it did worry her and afterwards she was sore in her knees for about 3 days, but after that she was more mobile. I would say though that I was more scared than she was which is normal for a parent.

On the notes we get given, usually a 9 or 10 year old can have the injections done by gas and air, and for a 6 year old it said anaesthetic, but maybe different hospitals have different procedures.

Every child is different though and I saw some chilren having the steriod injections in all sorts of joints, there were babies too and with each one I saw they were in and then out within a few hours.

This was obviously my daughter's experience and myself so maybe this will help ease your mind? I hope it does anyway.

X
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Annie's Mum, this is a tricky one. I have had neither steriod injections or laughing gas, so I have no personal experience of either. However I am a Mum, and I would say docs know the procedures best but we know out kids best. I would gather all the pros and cons from the docs to both approaches and then go with your gut feeling. I don't know Annie - some 6 years old are more mature than others - would it be worth seeing what she would prefer? I wish you well which ever way you decided to go and hope she gains some pain relief and more movement. Let us know how she gets on.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • anniesmum
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Annie's Mum, this is a tricky one. I have had neither steriod injections or laughing gas, so I have no personal experience of either. However I am a Mum, and I would say docs know the procedures best but we know out kids best. I would gather all the pros and cons from the docs to both approaches and then go with your gut feeling. I don't know Annie - some 6 years old are more mature than others - would it be worth seeing what she would prefer? I wish you well which ever way you decided to go and hope she gains some pain relief and more movement. Let us know how she gets on.

Speedy

Thank you Speedy - I will definitly ask more questions on this one - both from the hospital and Annie.
  • anniesmum
    Hi

My daughter is 9 and she has had two lots of steriod injections. Her first lot was last October (she had one injection in each knee) and then the same again in April this year.

She went to the children's hospital as a day patient and then after booking her in and doing a few health checks she was given some 'numb' cream on her hand and then when they were ready she was taken to theatre where she had light aneasthetic. After about half hour she was waking up in recovery. We had to stay in hospital for about 3 hours or until she had eaten and had a drink, been to the toilet etc and then we were allowed home. She had a little round plaster over the 'hole' which came off before the night was over.

I have to admit that she was nervous and it did worry her and afterwards she was sore in her knees for about 3 days, but after that she was more mobile. I would say though that I was more scared than she was which is normal for a parent.

Thank you for that info - I appreciate it and I hope your duaghter is doing well at the moment.

On the notes we get given, usually a 9 or 10 year old can have the injections done by gas and air, and for a 6 year old it said anaesthetic, but maybe different hospitals have different procedures.

Every child is different though and I saw some chilren having the steriod injections in all sorts of joints, there were babies too and with each one I saw they were in and then out within a few hours.

This was obviously my daughter's experience and myself so maybe this will help ease your mind? I hope it does anyway.

X
  • jordansmum
    jordansmum Member Posts: 257
    hi annies mum my son jordan is 12 and has had steriod injections in his hips and knee's he went into the children's ward as a day case and was given heavy sedation on both occasion's i would certainly ask advise on this one because it is a painful prosedure even though it is over quickly hope all goes well for you both the first injections worked for about 3 months but the second one's only worked for a month take care .
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    My daughter has to have this but they are trying to decide which joints to do just waiintg on her latest MRI results to come through. We've been told it's under GA but then she is only 4. I don't think even at 6 I would let her do it awake jjust seems a lot for them to have to deal with knowing what has happened as well. I know more worry with having them asleep but I would rather that. Def best to discuss your options and only you know your child best and how they will react to it all.

good luck
    Michelle xxx
  • anniesmum
    anniesmum wrote:
    Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience of steroid joint injections. Annie is likely to need just one, maybe two and the consultant will do them either under a light general anasthetic or with laughing gas. They feel she would be a good candidate for laughing gas as she does take most things in her stride. I am worrying she is a bit young at 6 to go through something that sounds pretty unpleasant to me while awake .What do other people think??

Thanks for all the replies - we had positive session with the consultant on friday and are leaving Annies knee for a little while as it has actually gone down slightly - great timing Annie. We are hoping the mtx will work its magic and the knee will reduce further in size - cant believe it doesnt actually hurt but I and Annie are definitly not complaining. Great to feel a bit more positive for a change.
  • lucymum
    lucymum Member Posts: 113
    hi my daughter had this done under genral anistetic as they ended up injecting about 30 joints!! I would seak advice about having her sedated as she is so young. I mean some kids are very relaxed about things like this but if it is the first time having it done i would request something hevier!!

hope she feels better soon x x x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    That is great news for Annie, hopefully the mtx will continue to do it's magic.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • becky89
    becky89 Member Posts: 8
    anniesmum wrote:

After personal experience i'd opt for her to be "knocked out" under a GA.

I was 11 when i was diagnosed and had my first steroid injections, i hate needles and therefore my mum opted for me to have a GA

When i was 13 i had two more again under GA

When i was 17 i had both my knees aspirated and injected using gas and air... :shock: never again! - i felt everything and even though i was 17 it was still traumatising.

then earlier this year, (im now 20) i had my left knee injected whilst watching and that wasnt too bad cos the local ansathetic worked as the needle went in, but it didnt work and wasnt effective and 4 weeks later my rheumatologist repeated the procedure but this time he aspirated it too so i had a needle in my knee to freeze it , a needle in aspirating the fluid and then he injected it again with the steroids!!

:roll: again my body being my body, the injection didnt work and the arthritis spread to my ankles, spine, neck, elbows, wrists, shoulders and the other knee!!

So 7 weeks ago i had 8 steroid injections all under GA!! :lol: I'm a wuss!

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have had both knees aspirated and injected with steroids. Being an adult they do not sedate you, they just put in local anaesthetic and then dig about. I am a tough old broad and can handle most things, but this I cannot do. I have had some horrific experiences having this done - please, please, please sedate the child. It is a ghastly procedure, the pain afterwards is very distinct and uncomfortable, not like the arthritis pain at all. Take them away from it all. Sedation is the best option. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • anniesmum
    Thanks Becks and DD for that - i think you are both absolutly right - we already feel Annie has been though enough and why put her through even more so we've said that if she does have to have this injection we want under GA. Decision delayed now until October - the mtx has a little longer to work! Fingers crossed.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am so pleased to hear that, it really is the best option. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben