12 weeks after op

denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
Hi
I had my THR 12 weeks ago this week, I told my manager that I would be off work for the full 3 months as I work in a shop and stand for the full 5 hour shift also bring in deliveries in plastic totes and lug them about through doorways, also have to squeeze through a narrow stockroom to get the things out of the stockroom this even means getting down onto the floor to get stuff stored down there.
Anyway she rang me after 6 weeks and asked if I was off my crutches yet I told her I wasnt and would be on them for 12 weeks (consultants instructions) so I rang her yesterday to tell her that I originally thought that I would be back at work next week, but I will not be back as I am not fit enough yet, I told her I have my 12 week check on Friday and Docs next monday.
I was so shocked when she said take your time coming back you dont get any thanks for coming back too soon, is this the same lady who when I first found out I needed a Hip replacement asked me if I could still do my job. Forgive me for thinking ill of her but I think that she is up to something.
No doubt time will tell!!
Denise

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    denpen wrote:
    Hi
    I had my THR 12 weeks ago this week, I told my manager that I would be off work for the full 3 months as I work in a shop and stand for the full 5 hour shift also bring in deliveries in plastic totes and lug them about through doorways, also have to squeeze through a narrow stockroom to get the things out of the stockroom this even means getting down onto the floor to get stuff stored down there.
    Anyway she rang me after 6 weeks and asked if I was off my crutches yet I told her I wasnt and would be on them for 12 weeks (consultants instructions) so I rang her yesterday to tell her that I originally thought that I would be back at work next week, but I will not be back as I am not fit enough yet, I told her I have my 12 week check on Friday and Docs next monday.
    I was so shocked when she said take your time coming back you dont get any thanks for coming back too soon, is this the same lady who when I first found out I needed a Hip replacement asked me if I could still do my job. Forgive me for thinking ill of her but I think that she is up to something.
    No doubt time will tell!!
    Denise

she may just have realised that she would be better not pushing you ..... and you caught her on a better day this time :wink:

hope everything goes ok for you with your appointments and that you continue to improve.

hugs
    WOnky xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Denise, I'm suspicious of my boss too ...

You do have a sick note don't you? Have you read the company policy on sick leave and sick pay ... knowledge is power!!

My GP has written my off for 6 months with my hip resurface-replacement.

The type of job you are going back to really does influence when you are ready ... active jobs are very different to predominately desk jobs.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • denpen
    Hi Speedy

Yeah I do have a sick note it runs out this week so I have a appt. with my GP on Monday. When we first opened we had a supervisor that was off sick for months and months and my Manager said that the company couldnt do anything about it.
    I know her very well and my suspicion is that she is saving money on wages while I am off sick so it is suiting her because that makes her look good in the Company.
    Oh she is a REAL Company Woman.
    Denise.
  • speedalong
    Denise are you not getting paid?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • denpen
    speedalong wrote:
    Denise are you not getting paid?

Speedy

Yeah I get SSP
  • speedalong
    Yeah I get SSP

Is that less than you would get normally? Only asking because wondered it that is how your boss is "saving the company money?!"

Speedy
  • denpen
    speedalong wrote:
    Yeah I get SSP

Is that less than you would get normally? Only asking because wondered it that is how your boss is "saving the company money?!"

Speedy
    Yeah its less than I get normally but she will be saving money on the hours worked in the shop, all my hours will not be given to the other staff, she will come and do a few days there which she normally doesnt do because she works in another shop.
    Denise
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    ...sounds as though you've hit the nail on the head Denise! if she's saving the company money while you're off then it's to her advantage!

can't be easy for you just now.....do you get any other benefits or entitlements? what about DLA?

hope your appointment with the doc goes well...look after yourself..remember to tell him how heavy your job is... and do what's best for you.

Iris x
  • denpen
    dorcas wrote:
    ...sounds as though you've hit the nail on the head Denise! if she's saving the company money while you're off then it's to her advantage!

can't be easy for you just now.....do you get any other benefits or entitlements? what about DLA?

hope your appointment with the doc goes well...look after yourself..remember to tell him how heavy your job is... and do what's best for you.

Iris x
    Hi Iris
    No I am not on any benefits at all.
    Saw joint nurse and she said take another month and then see how I am and when I go back to work dont do anything that I cant do. Sounds fair enough to me. So I told doc and he gave me another 4 weeks.
    Denise
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Denise,

I'm glad your doc has given you another 4weeks as you need to know in advance of going back to work what support you need and what help you are entitled to.

I know you don't get any benefits other than SSP but maybe you should be thinking about applying for DLA?

I've posted you 2 links which I hope might be helpful. one is about working when you have a disability and the other to give you more info about DLA....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/YourEmploymentRights/DG_4001071

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/DG_10011731

best of luck and let us know how you get on or if we can help.

Iris x