Boss does not understand

sparky130471
sparky130471 Member Posts: 13
Hi there I was recently being diaganosed with arthritus I have had pain for years but never thought much about it so went to gp who told me it was arthritus, I have found myself not being able to do jobs at work due to the pain as a result I had to take last night off work as the pain was so bad I phoned the boss up to tell him and all he could do was down me and asking if i would be back the next night, I said i would see how I felt but the docter has given me a sick note for two weeks telling me to take it easy.

I am not sure if I would get sick pay as I work in a chinese shop even though I am on the books and without the money I am unable to pay the bills, I am not sure what to do any ideas thanks. :?

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Boss arent on whole sympathic as they want you in work!

You need to take the time off to recover as going back early could set you back and you will be off longer.

Get some suggestions for your boss e.g. different ways to do jobs to avoid extra pressure on body etc.

You should get sick pay, check with directgov site for more info or look on usdaw site - union for shop workers

good luck and try to relax.
  • sparky130471
    Thanks for the advice oneday I had a look at the work life site tonight and if my employer cannot pay me ssp I may be able to claim employment support but will not know until Monday.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    good luck.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Dear Sparky

I was struggling for months trying to work and cope with the pain, swellings, no sleep etc. Getting up at 5.30am to drive 2 hours to work and then another 2 hours to get home at 8pm.

It was no quality of life and eventually I was unable to do it and had to give up work in March this year. I stressed out about how to pay the mortgage etc and I signed up for the first time in my life for Jobseekers. After a few weeks I made an appointment with disability lady at jobcentre and told her everything saying I wouldn't be able to accept a job just now. I actually burst into tears whilst talking. She was very sympathetic and I told her I was determined that this would be temporary and I would kick this illness in the backside eventually. She was really helpful and I am now on ESA. I am awaiting to do the medical malarky and everything and have applied for DLA also. I guess it will be a battle however I think what I am trying to say to you is that it is your health that needs to take priority just now. Stress trying to continue work can hinder your progress therefore please take one step at a time and work out what you need to do in the short term. Lots of people on here have gone through similar and are full of good advice and support.
    Keep us posted and please remember that there is always a solution.
    Carol
  • sparky130471
    being back to the doctors today the pain was unbearable give me strong pain killers and give me number for physio, gave them a ring going to get me refered to see them, she said I was too young to be having arthritic pains and thinks that I might have sprained my knee after falling down the stairs a few months ago, I will have to wait and see.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Sparky, unfortunately no one is too young to have arthritis, but it would be great if your pain was the result of a sprain. Let's hope your physio appointments come through very soon. In the meantime take the advice above and rest plenty (whilst you have your sicknote) - RICE = rest, ice, compression (tubigrip or similiar) and elevate ... and why you are doing that get on the telephone and check out your SSA...

Hope the knee improves soon, keep us posted.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.