teenagers in the house!

lare73
lare73 Member Posts: 154
edited 29. Aug 2010, 16:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
hiya,
my son tom has JA, newly diagnosed and so he cant play out -
i told his friends about his illness, i now have a houseful of teenage boys!!! 6 in total, how noisey are a bunch of boys? lol
he clearly has great friends who have all taken onboard the illness and adjusted so tom still sees his friends.

i am sat downstairs with a tear in my eye because he is obviously cared about but mostly because i can hear laughter and its ace after all the sadness we've had lately. :)

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well Hi

Good to meet you :)

I ahve a houseful of teenage girls here and it's mad isn't it?

One of their teachers said to me when they were little - have em round your house - then you know where they are who they are with and when they will be home.

Good advice eh?

Lovely boys they sound give em a treat tomorrow - fOOD -testamment to your lads character and I am so happy for you.

Oh

I have a tear too

Love

Toni xx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

Just popped in to say a warm welcome to the Forums.

This is a great place to be and there are mother's whose children have that too. You will get a lot of support from them but us as well.

That is juat what your son needs his friends to help him and the laughter.

Hope to see you around the Forums

Trish xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    lare73 wrote:
    hiya,
    my son tom has JA, newly diagnosed and so he cant play out -
    i told his friends about his illness, i now have a houseful of teenage boys!!! 6 in total, how noisey are a bunch of boys? lol
    he clearly has great friends who have all taken onboard the illness and adjusted so tom still sees his friends.

i am sat downstairs with a tear in my eye because he is obviously cared about but mostly because i can hear laughter and its ace after all the sadness we've had lately. :)
    enjoy filling your house with happy sounds and enjoy it, as my mum used to say when they go quiet that means trouble so enjoy.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How lovely. I am not a mum and don't 'do' children that well but the tears are swimming. He has some very good mates by the sound of it - and a lovely mum to boot. There is more to life than being defined by one's arthritis - I wish him (and you) well. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi and welcome again.
    How lovely, kids dont get enough praise in my eyes, I am so glad your son has such good freinds.
    I am like you , I have grandchildren now, but I love to have there friends around and hear them laughing, better them any medicine.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    so glad your son has such great mates. kids are great arnt they always full of suprises feed them boys love that and you will never get rid of them val
    val
  • frogmorton
    Are they still there??

Mine are nearly all gone now.

Hope he sleeps well and you will all the better for such a lovely day :D

Love

Toni xx
  • lare73
    hey what a welcome, thank you!

peace here now, they've all gone, but will be back so i've been informed :shock:
    its a nice feeling that through a challenge like this his friends came through for him, he's a good boy, and just to see his smile and hear his laugh again is priceless.
    we have rheumatologist in the morning so hope that goes well.
    just need to know what adjustments we need to make to ensure tom is happy and as painfree as possible.

glad i found you all :D
    clare x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Clare,

Welcome again from me. You sound a bit more positive. Good luck for tomorrow.
    Great that his friends are so supportive.

Glad you got some information :D

Lv, Ix
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Clare

So pleased to hear that your son had a great visit from his friends and just to say I hope he has a good appointment with the rheumatologist this week.

Keep in touch.

Marion
  • frogmorton
    hi Clare

glad you found us too :)

Hope the apt is a success and goes well for Tom too.

You off the hook for today then??

Me too mine are in and out riding with their friends.

Look forward to hearing your updates.

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    good luck at rhummy thinking of you hope it a great visit val
    val
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    That's great, sounds like you are in for a busy summer and Tom will have his mind on being a teenager and not on his arthritis.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope it goes well today and that you feel clearer in your minds - it's a steep learning curve for all of you, not just Tom. I hope you let us know how it goes. DD
  • lare73
    hi again,

housefull again :shock:
    went to the rheumatologist this morning, tom is doing ok, he still has some fluid still on the joints and gets a few pains but very much improved, he has to go for a one-off eye test at the hospital but likely to be negative so good news there.
    the doctor could not tell us what type of arthritis he has as still awaiting blood results.
    tom is to have physio as his muscles have shortened during his flare up, so hopefully will help ease the stiffness and get all the muscles going again.
    he was also prescribed a medicine for his tummy as the anti-inflammotary's give him tummy ache.
    going back to clinic in 6 weeks for results and review, the doctor said he may need more steroids and methotrexate.

hope everyone is well today and houses are not as noisey as mine! i took advice from here and stocked up with snacks for all the boys.

toms mum, clare x
  • frogmorton
    Hi Clare

well that all sunds really positive

hope Tom is feeling ok about it all.

It will be hard for him - not just the pain, but 'being different' from his friends, (I know this as my 12 year old has epilepsy). It will certainly help if he has a sound Mum with plenty of lads food :wink:

Mine have been all over the place today - horse riding, but at the mo I have a few who are about to go it being tea time.

This is my summer and yours too I reckon :)

Hey it could be worse :)

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • lare73
    hi all, hope the summer holidays are treating you all kindly :D

busy here, with baby and teenagers, i must be mad :shock:

anyway, tom isnt so good today, got pain in his neck, think hes overdone it, its hard for him to strike a balance bless him, ive told him to listen to his body, and when it hurts to slow down a bit, hes paying for it now.

think a resful day is on order tomorrow :?

c x
  • valval
    it not so easy to know you are over doing things you feel great at the time it only later it gets you get him to keep pain diary and what he does each day to see what is worse for him and what does not cause probs good luck enjoy hols
    val
  • frogmorton
    Hi Clare

Now if you had girls....

they could be teenagers looking after baby :)

Two problems solved in one hit :wink:

Hope Tom took it staedier yesterday and that he feels a bit recovered today? Necks are a sickening kind of pain you know :(

Two of mine camped in the neigbours garden last night :shock: - rather them than me eh? :lol:

Hope today is good for you

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    lare73, there are adults who can't get their heads round the restrictions that arthritis brings, so I have no idea how Tom is coping. How old is he - stupid question, he is between 13 and 19! It takes time to learn what you can and cannot do - and even then this bloody disease surprises you. I hope he has had a better day today - do we need to do a forum whip-round to help stock your larder? DD (who is 51 and after 13 years of this malarkey has been taken by surprise again - ooh-er missus!)
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi Clare just wanted to give you a warm welcome, sounds like you and Toni are going to have a busy summer. My youngest is 18 and doesn't need entertaining, but does like to be driven about :roll: I hope Tom is feeling better today.

Julie x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • lare73
    hi there,

just got in from work (im a theatre nurse at at james, leeds) busy day!

tom was stiff this morning but came round at lunch time and had a good afternoon, he is staying at his friends tonight, i was reluctant to let him go but feel we should try stay positive and normal whatever that is :roll: i have spoke to his mum so hopefully all will go well.
    a forum whip round sounds good :D think a few of us mums would benefit, or maybe i will just continue to feed the boys and be the coolest mum hehe,
    well, bath and bed for me another work day tomorrow, only do 2 days a week so not too bad.
    clare x
    ps. my baby oliver is cutting 2 teeth (hes ten months old) tom is 13 on sunday, so busy busy busy nite x
  • frogmorton
    Hi Clare

so Tom is going back into year 9??

Lucy is going back into year 8 and the other two year 11.

You are right to let him go - so right. Enjoying himself will take his mind of some of it wont it??

An the wee one is 10 months?? ah!!! and you are busy working too :roll:

Take the whip round Clare I would :wink: Boys eat way more than girls do :shock: Those jubblys go down ell when it's hot AND they are cheap too....

Hope Tom has a great night.

love

Toni xx

Who needs to do some ironing ASAP before the onslaught :shock:

Or maybe i can send it to ELna again???

(see the new forum club thread) :wink:
  • lare73
    hi there,

its tom's birthday today, 13! he's had a rough weekend, but think he's trying hard to enjoy his day.
    he's playing with his ipod touch.

hope everyone is having a happy sunday :D xx
  • dreamdaisy
    If you think it's appropriate, wish him a happy birthday from us. I hope he has a lovely day - are his mates coming round? Is the fridge/larder groaning with food? DD