Arghh!

rachelj
rachelj Member Posts: 121
Ah that feels better :-) Just had a frustrating meeting with HR, and now not sure how to progress, I am wondering if I have miss explained myself somewhere. I am stuck in limbo at the moment, the GP has diagnosed me as Sero negative rheumatoid arthritis, but don't see the rheumatologist for a few more weeks. I have had a horrid flare up in my wrists the past few weeks which means I haven't been able to drive in to the office as much as normal, but still working from home, so explained the situation to my manager, the tasks I couldn't do at the moment etc, will have to play it by ear as to how I am next week. This resulted in work getting the occupational therapist to asses me.

So the report came back, and focused around how to manage on bad days:
    Reduce my travel, so once a week, and that this would need to be assisted, so taxi to the station. Regular breaks through out the day, doing 2.5 hour blocks then a rest for me to walk or sleep. Changing tasks around where possible as fatigue and discomfort increases throughout the day. Minimise the hours work, I currently work a UK day and part of a US day as i work for a US company. General reduction in hours will aid my overall health and hopefully go some way to reducing the frequency and duration of flare-ups. Revisit the situation once I have seen the rheumatologist as we will have a better idea of how things are likely progress

HR's interpretation:
    Find someone in the office who lives near me and get them to give me a lift in for my usual 2 days a week. Move my hours to be a US day so its not so long Identify what tasks I will and won't be able to do and how I will feel for the next 4 weeks. Do I feel I need to look for another role

My immediate reaction is they clearly have no understanding of my condition, I wish I knew what I could do tomorrow, never mind next week. I do not want to travel in to the office with a stranger when I am feeling rough, if I am having a flare up I need somewhere to rest, a noisy crowded office provides me with nothing. For a condition that worsens with the day, working later isn't going to do much. More importantly I will not always be like this.

Am I being obstructive and overly negative? I have asked for another review in a fortnight to allow me time to digest and take on board their suggestions.

Unbiased, impartional views appreciated :D

Rach

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Tell me about it bloody HR!!
    had written warning regarding my sickness!
    Wait till they try to give me another one they wont stand a chance as Im off for their jugular :x
    Keep strong dont let them beat you down
    Cant remember if you said you have a union involved but they do carry a bit of clout
    Keep in touch
    Good luck
    Maria x
  • rachelj
    I don't know why I expected anything more, we have no union and for a company that supplies outsourced HR our our dept is shocking. My manager doesn't really care what happens as long as my work gets done.

Luckily my flare up has calmed down so I can drive in to the office, just got to take it easy until the end of the month when I see the rheumy and then they will see a less passive side of me!

Rach
  • rachelj
    Oh it gets worse, I put in a request for a days leave to attend a family funeral 300 miles away and all I get back is, questions on how I can manage to get the train to a funeral but not turn up to the office everyday. Well excuse me Mr HR, if you bothered to do any research you would know that I was in the office as expected yesterday and will be in tomorrow. Pah!

Is this how its always going to be when I need a day off?!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi,

the HR dept are lacking in compassion and people skills ... sounds like they need a few courses themselves!! I think they forgot that even those with arthritis have lives outside work .... I suppose they see staff just as resources and not as people ... the "human" bit gets forgotten.

Did you get granted the leave? I'm sorry for your loss.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.