dla appeal on thurs

nuishka
nuishka Member Posts: 28
edited 10. Aug 2010, 17:18 in My child has arthritis
hi everybody.havent posted for a while,but i have got my dreaded dla appeal on thurs,went to speak with welfare rights officer last week,and she told me she cant or wont represent me,due to very brief consultant medical back up letter,i do admit they describe laurens condition briefly but what she said was because it said (which may limit mobility at times) in the letter ,she doesnt think it is a very good letter,so isnt going to help me,so.dont want to go myself,but i have came this far now,think i need some moral support.i got last week another letter from consultant saying that lauren has now got significant problems with her hands now,dont know if that is a better letter,i suppose it is up to me to fill the gaps in about her condition.she is due back in hospital anytome now for more steroids into her hands i hope the letter comes before thurs so i can take it with me.any help would be great. thanks lorraine and lauren

Comments

• Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I would take all the letters and appointments with you. I guess they make a judgement based on all that you put in the form. So I think you have your say on Thursday, so the more evidence you have then the better.

I don't think it is right the the advisor as said that she won't support you, isn't that their job? She seems that she has already made her mind up, but she is not the judge in this situation.

Also consultants are very busy people and probably did not even write the letter, just gave notes to his secretary and he signed it.

I would go, take all your letters and appointments, write down how the condition affects your daughter on a day to day basis, explain how it affects her mobility specifically. Explain her bad day as the norm, I know you know all this but when you get in there you might be so nervous you forget. This is your chance to put forward your case.

I would phone the organisation again and tell them that you are unhappy with the way the advisor helped you, surely she should of given you advice about the type of evidence and letters that needed to be submitted. (It might make you feel better)

Thinking of you for Thursday and let us know what happens.

Fayann x
  • nuishka
    Rainbow77 wrote:
    Hi,thanks for your reply it was taken on board everthing u said.i myself have got all letters from consultant, doctor,hospital appointments,every piece of evidence i have sent them,and a copy to dwp also,her dla was stopped in dec so i have bombarded them with letters since,then i met up with the wrofficer she read the notes of submission,and has decided that she couldnt go because she thinks my med iv is crap.i am sitting writting all my points out now.my daughter is 12 rec 15mg methetrexate inj wkly.along with 16 injections last year ,5 more febuary this yr,and more to come next month awaiting letter from hospital,i hope this comes before thurs,the consultant sent me letter last week,states jia wkly inj of methetrexate.but has significant symptoms in her hands now,brief but if the doctor at the tribunal knows his stuff he wil c the bigger picture .sorry for rabbling on but i am on a mission,u know what i mean and i was also going to take her with me and tell her to show them her joints one look at her hands would tell all.what u think love lorraine

I would take all the letters and appointments with you. I guess they make a judgement based on all that you put in the form. So I think you have your say on Thursday, so the more evidence you have then the better.

I don't think it is right the the advisor as said that she won't support you, isn't that their job? She seems that she has already made her mind up, but she is not the judge in this situation.

Also consultants are very busy people and probably did not even write the letter, just gave notes to his secretary and he signed it.

I would go, take all your letters and appointments, write down how the condition affects your daughter on a day to day basis, explain how it affects her mobility specifically. Explain her bad day as the norm, I know you know all this but when you get in there you might be so nervous you forget. This is your chance to put forward your case.

I would phone the organisation again and tell them that you are unhappy with the way the advisor helped you, surely she should of given you advice about the type of evidence and letters that needed to be submitted. (It might make you feel better)

Thinking of you for Thursday and let us know what happens.

Fayann x
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Hi Lorraine

I have not applied for DLA, so I do not know everything about the process, but have managed my own medical problems, so giving you advice based on that.

I would take your daughter with you if she is happy to go and show them. She could go in for part of it and not sit through the whole thing if it is not appropriate. Is there also someone who could go with you to support you?

Why did they stop your DLA in Dec?

You doing all you can, writing everything will help you to organise it in your head and be organised for thurs (it works for me)

I am sorry that you have to fight, but that is what you have to do to get anything. The system is so unfair.

I would concentrate on all the normal everyday situations that it affects your daughters mobility - spell it out.

Getting to school, going to hospital appts, going to the shops, etc.

I think also if you post this on the Living With Arthritis thread, you will get a lot more responses as it is much busier than this part of the forum.

Fayann xxx
  • nuishka
    hi again,her claim was awarded hrc hrm from 2005-2008 on the onset of dla.then from 2008-2009,dec 22 to be exact,in aug 2009 4 month before claim was due to end they hassled me to fill in the claim pack ang get it back,which i did,but because i made a mistake with judging the walking distance they suspended benefit,i got recons done on the fone,they over turned it instantly reinstated it back to origional dates of 22nd of dec,so i sent another claim pack away in november my mistake i shouldnt have,i should have appealed the one i origionally sent in,but it was all confusing.i went to a disability forum,and he told me to leave the form blank and ask for doctor to visit for examination,which he did,on the week before new year,the claim was turned down,and stopped from the 22nd of dec and awarded lrc till 2013,and this has been going on from there,does that make any sense to u,lorraine.oh and they took her car of her in june also
    Rainbow77 wrote:
    Hi Lorraine/
    I have not applied for DLA, so I do not know everything about the process, but have managed my own medical problems, so giving you advice based on that.

I would take your daughter with you if she is happy to go and show them. She could go in for part of it and not sit through the whole thing if it is not appropriate. Is there also someone who could go with you to support you?

Why did they stop your DLA in Dec?

You doing all you can, writing everything will help you to organise it in your head and be organised for thurs (it works for me)

I am sorry that you have to fight, but that is what you have to do to get anything. The system is so unfair.

I would concentrate on all the normal everyday situations that it affects your daughters mobility - spell it out.

Getting to school, going to hospital appts, going to the shops, etc.

I think also if you post this on the Living With Arthritis thread, you will get a lot more responses as it is much busier than this part of the forum.

Fayann xxx
    Edited by Moderator
  • nuishka
    keep clicking wrong button sorry,lorraine