how much longer

jordansmum
jordansmum Member Posts: 257
edited 26. Aug 2010, 09:38 in My child has arthritis
hi guy's i wonder if you could tell me how long it took for mxt to give any relief to yourself or your child as jordan has now been on it for 6 weeks and so far no improvement i am hoping it will kick in before we go on holiday not sure wether to give it longer or to see the gp any replies as alway's much recieved. jenny

Comments

• illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Kayleighs took about this long to start taking effect. It was a good 3 months before it was significant enough for others to see the improvement but even now it's not 100% would say more like 75% as she still needs the max dose of ibuprofen daily often topped up with paracetamol :( she's been on it since January and they have now decided to give Enbrel on top. I hope you start seeing a light soon hugs

Mchrlle
  • jordansmum
    cheers michele jordan is also still on his max dose of diclofenic plus parasetamol it never gets any easier does it. I just hate seeing him in so much pain. Walking is getting so hard for him so we are limited on where to go out.I expect you feel the same still at least he's not struggling like this at school so at lesst i'm there to give him a cuddle, glad kayliegh is abit brighter hugs to you both jenny x
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    It could take between 3-6 months to get the optimal result on MTX. It might be that the MTX isn't enough on it's own and they have to add to it. I also take hydroxychloroquine and Humira because the MTX just didnt cut it on it's own.

I hope Jordan starts feeling some relief soon.
  • andylambs
    andylambs Member Posts: 71
    We were told 8 to 12 weeks for the MTX to kick in, and my daughter was on prednisone (or prednisolone) during the ramp up period. I can't say that I ever personally noticed a huge improvement on MTX, she continued to have flares. The best instant fix for my daughter has always been joint injections which work well for her. I know they don't work for everyone.
  • jordansmum
    jordan has had prednisalone before when he has been in alot of pain and he has had the joint injections unfortunatly the last one only lasted a couple of weeks which is why they put him on mxt. i don't want to keep phoning the rhummy nurse as like she said last time it is early day's but it's not nice seeing your child in pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Meth is a contrary beast, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but as with all of these meds the standard refrain is 3-6 months for any benefit to come through. Hang on in there, there is a chance that he might be one of the lucky ones. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • becky89
    becky89 Member Posts: 8
    Hello!

I Started MTX 8 Weeks ago and my Rheumatologist told me that i'd see a start of improvement within 6 weeks... if anything i've got worse!

at 8 weeks im still waiting for even a little bit of improvement..... I've gotta see him next week, dont know what to expect.
  • jordansmum
    hi becky, jordan gets more tired quicker since starting the meth he has been for his blood test today so i will be interested to see if there has been any change since the last blood test 4 weeks ago after his first 4 weeks worth. I will persevere with it because i am told the benefits far outweigh the side effects but just wish his pain would go away.Keep well
    jenny
  • becky89
    becky89 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I was told i'd feel like a new woman, but unless ive missed something.... :lol: no improvement!

x
  • andylambs
    andylambs Member Posts: 71
    Poor Jordan and poor you, Becky.

Best wishes for it kicking in really soon.

MTX is very weird, so far I've not heard of anyone who's said it's wonderful and works perfectly. There must be someone out there and I've missed them?!
  • dreamdaisy
    It isn't a wonder-drug. It doesn't work that well for the vast majority - doctors should be much more honest about its expected level of benefit. DD
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    My Mtx experience has been positive.

It took about 12 weeks to kick in and during that time I felt worse rather than better however after what seemed like an eternity I could distinctly feel a difference, particularly in my hands and feet.

I was using it in addition to Enbrel (Etanercept) which also took its time making its presence known but has ended up helping me immensely.

Now I am off these drugs and on steroids and loads of pain killers in prep for TTC and I really, really miss the benefits of Mtx and Enbrel. Ho hum, the choice has been mine so we shall wait and see what happens.

Arna x
  • jordansmum
    cheers for your responses i phoned for the results of jordans last bloods for aug and july the nurse from my surgury said that in july his crp level was 60 now it is 69 i thought the levels were ment to get lower not higher. :shock: . oh hum the joys of this horrible disease. keep well all xx jenny
  • dreamdaisy
    Meth alone isn't enough to control things. He hasn't been on it that long, but still, the fact that the figure has risen shows the disease is active. When is your next review? DD
  • jordansmum
    hi dd his next review is in oct but i have left a message with the rhummy nurse so i am sure she will phone tommorow .Not a good day with jordan he is in pain other joints are hurting now as well and he is feeling quite low :( . He has been very mumsy today bless him
  • dreamdaisy
    He should be seen before then. I am so sorry - you may well need to pressurise and nag. MY own rheumatology department is very good regarding emergency appointments, but I only know the service from an adult's point of view. I wish you both well, especially Jordan. DD
  • jordansmum
    morning all the rhummy nurse has just phoned and they are seeing him today at 12 so will let you all know how he gets on. Keep well xx jenny
  • dreamdaisy
    Well done you for persisting. I hope they can do something. Don't let them fob you off. DD
  • jordansmum
    hi guy's well wev'e just got back they have taken more xray's and have put jordan on steroids for a month so hopefully these will help they did last time so fingers crossed enjoy the rest of your day xx jenny
  • dreamdaisy
    Steroids do make a difference - I hope he feels brighter soon. DD