ibruprofen and alcohol

Options
kelly1
kelly1 Member Posts: 8
Hi

my teenage son has recently been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. he is on sulfasalasine and 1200mg ibruprofen daily.

he is coming to terms with this diagnosis and is very responsible in terms of taking meds, diet and exercise and has avoided alcohol.
however, he is a teenager and there is the odd occasion he would like a beer or two, or three.. ....
If he is taking ibruprofen should he not drink alchohol at all, is it dangerous ?

Comments

• rachelj
    rachelj Member Posts: 121
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

Like many on here I take Ibuprofen by the bucket, and still manage to sneak in the odd glass of wine. Its not dangerous as such to take alcohol and ibuprofen together, however drinking in large quantities will increase the chances of it irritating his stomach, and I dare say that its not too good for the liver either.

Its the other painkillers, codeine and the like which are a big no go for alcohol. The odd beer here and there should be fine, just make sure he has something in his stomach.

Rach
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    kelly1 wrote:
    Hi

my teenage son has recently been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. he is on sulfasalasine and 1200mg ibruprofen daily.

he is coming to terms with this diagnosis and is very responsible in terms of taking meds, diet and exercise and has avoided alcohol.
    however, he is a teenager and there is the odd occasion he would like a beer or two, or three.. ....
    If he is taking ibruprofen should he not drink alchohol at all, is it dangerous ?

Hi Kelly

I can understand the difficulties of being a teenager and the worry you must have as a mother when it comes to alcohol and medications. The safest thing to do is to avoid it when on drugs like DMARDS i.e. Sulfasalazine or Nsaids i.e Ibuprofen as the liver has to work quite hard when it has to deal with these medications and alcohol puts extra strain on it. You may find it more useful to read a an article published in our magazine called Drink and Thrive. You can download it from this link. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=alcohol

I hope you both find it a useful read. If either you or your son wish to discuss things further please feel free to give us a call.

Best wishes

Simona