Rang union for advice on return to work

speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
Hi,
rang the union for advice on return to work after my hip op ... don't get much for your money really do you - well at least so far!

The chap I spoke to for advice on the phased return said this advice should come from consultant/GP ... that once I was back at work I was back at work and it was at my bosses discretion whether he paid me for the hours worked or my usual salary ... this is complex in teaching anyway - for hours actually teaching doesn't equal hours worked.

As he didn't mention either - I asked him about occy health, disability officer at job centre etc - he said yes I could ask for occy health appointment. He then said I would be better off talking to the health and safety chap at the union and he would ring me back ...

Feel no further foward really. Suppose I'd better make an appointment to see the GP then to discuss/plan phased return.

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Speedy
    Sorry you didn`t get a good response from the union rep. When i went back after my THR , I had been off for nearly 12 months. I had a meeting before I went back with my manager, HR, Occy Health and I did ask my union rep to support me but he wasn`t available. :roll: I was offered a phased return and it was set out on paper over a 4-6 week period. It is at their discretion re pay, but I was lucky that I was paid my full salary during the phased return.
    However this year , after my hysterectomy op I went back on a `Fit Note` from my GP recommending restricted duties, and had to take annual leave to reduce my hours to make my `phased return`.
    I am unsure what will happen when I am ready to go back this time, but do think the introduction of fit notes has changed things somewhat.
    Good luck x
    NB
  • speedalong
    Hi NB,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me how your phased return was structured .. ie how many days per week/ hours etc ...

When your hip recovers from its latest exploits you will be needing phased return and so on again wont you, I hope they are understanding - it is in their best interests to be .. they wont want your hip at risk anymore than you do surely ...

The union HS officer rang me back today and said I should see my doc about phased return and restricted duties and then send that in to my head and say I'm willing to attend OH review. He said the doc can make recommendations but the OH have more clout. He also said to consider what restrictions/support I would need in advance as the doc wouldn't have much idea about what a teacher did etc.

I have an appointment for Monday at the docs and have made a list of things I do each day at school that will be problematic (as I work in a special school you tend to work as a team and the cross over between assistant roles and teaching ones is blurry).

Much as I'm worried about coping at work, I also am going rather doo-lally at home now - I feel like I'm "wasting a lot of time" and not really accomplishing much and then feeling guilty about it and have too much time to worry about little things and make mountains out of mole hills ...

When I was first off, I really enjoyed it and my rehab took up all my time... I must be better then, even though I still feel I have a way to go.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Speedy
    I usually work 30hrs over 4 days, but on my phased return I started on 2 x 4 hrs days in 1st week; then 2 x 4 hr days and 1 x 6 hr day 2nd week: then 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 ; then because I was finding the 6 hr days hard I decided ot work my 30 hrs over 5 days which prevented me hitting rush hour traffic on way to and from work. I kept the 5 day week til after my hysterectomy op and had only started my `proper` hours again in school holidays . Typical! Now I will probably be back to short hours which is hard to arrange workload and means no day off :(
    Also during my phased return I had weekly meetings with my manager to discuss how things were going. i didn`t start with doing all my role, I couldn`t have doone the lifting, kneeling, etc... so started on office based duties, moved onto clinics before doing visits and all of role. At the meeting with HR before I went back I was very clear on what I thought would be difficult to do at first. They may not have dealt with someone returning fromthis sort of surgery and even if they have, everyone is different.
    Hope it is sorted to your needs. I know what you mean about feeling bored and guilty at home. I used to joke about having time off....never again!!
    NB
  • speedalong
    Thanks NB for your comprehensive answer.

Do you mind me asking what you do?

Speedy
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    I am sure I found a reference to something called "Rehabilitation Leave" on my internet travels, can't remember where I read about it, but I think it forms part of the DDA.

It allows you to have a phased return to work with your hours gradually increasing over a period of time, with 12 weeks being the maximum time available.

You should be paid at the full time rate during this period.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Ahhh....unions,why do we bother with them.They are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!!!! :roll:
  • speedalong
    Thanks Amboritic - am still searching ... finding references to it ... looks promising, but need something more substantial. If you remember where you saw it (!) let me know.

Speedy

Marc1 - feels that was .. and all the money we pay them!!

Speedy
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Speedy
    I am a health visitor (NHS). I was under the impression that the full pay on phased return was discretionary, but that is good news if you are `entitled` to it.
    NB
  • speedalong
    HI NB,

I was under the impression it was discretionary too ... but will be checking out this rehab leave stuff ... just in case it applies in my case too.

Ah, a health visitor - lots of bending, crouching down etc to little people and do carrying your bag of tricks around with you, lots of driving too....

Before your hip seriously misbehaved were you kneeling, sitting on the floor etc ok on a regular basis ok? Never found it so easy since my first THR, but could do it. Now a bit more of a challenge with both legs being "done."

Speedy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi speedy :D

your union rep was really not at all helpful was he?

You are entitled to ask for a phased return to work having been off long term sick.... but.... you need Occupational Health to recommend this as part of their assessment of what you require to assist you return to work. ... They should also be carrying out a 'Risk Assessment' prior to your return to ensure that you are not asked to do anything that might adversely affect your health (sitting on small chairs springs to mind!)

If OH recommend a phased return then you definitely should not be asked to use any annual leave to support the time off and you should also be on full time pay during the phased return.

If your employer hasn't referred you to OH then give him a dig in the ribs! You are covered by the DDA and should tell your employer that if he doesn't already know. :roll: your employer has a responsibility towards you...

I've posted you a link to NRAS.. they have a very helpful booklet for employees returning to work.. and one for employers... that you can either download or ask to be sent out to you. These helped me greatly when I was going through the same process as you.

DEA at jobecentre plus also have a role to play in assessing what supports/ aids you might require.

http://www.nras.org.uk/help_for_you/publications/publication_detail.aspx?id=a0B80000005CJTdEAO

let me know speedy if there's anything I can help with.

good luck!

Iris xxx

ps... forgot to say that although the booklets refer to rheumatoid the information and advice is relevant for PA and OA too. :wink:
  • speedalong
    Hi Iris,

thank you for the link shall download and read the booklet. I have my doc appointment on Monday and then shall contact boss about it all.

Will probably be on again for more advice!!

Speedy
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    I think I found it on a site talking about the DDA and what is considered a reasonable adjustment, the provision of a phased return on full pay but reduced hours comes under what may be considered a reasonable adjustment.

Did a google search and found these http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmbills/079/07079.i-i.html

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmbills/079/2007079.pdf

And these http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/humanresources/pmm/section5/chapter_4.html

http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/humanresources/pmm/section5/chapter_4.html

Hope they help.
  • speedalong
    Ah thanks Amboritic, will take a peak at these.

I did find some info on rehabiliation pay, on a unison website - not my union though and didn't find anything about entitlement to it, so your links will be useful.

Speedy