"Too Young for Arthritis" Diagnosis...Very much in

sunnyhours
sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
edited 12. Sep 2010, 23:05 in Young people's community
Hi All,
As some of you might of read in the "Living with arthritis" forum I've been having pretty bad knee and back pain for over a month...
I saw my "new" doctor who thought it could probably be a form of Arthritis as I suspected and prescribed Arthrotec 75mg... It brought back the migraines I used to have before so I stopped use after a week and went back to a different doctor since my "new" doctor is on vacation.
He took a quick look at me and came to the conclusion that since there wasn't any inflammation at the moment that it wasn't Arthritis. He said that "your lower back is very stiff" though but that's all...He prescribed the max. dosage of Celebrex (200mg) and sent me home. On the chart he wrote "Gonalgia" (knee pains) and "Arthralgia" (joint pains).
I am still in pain even with the celebrex...the pain is mostly in my knees and my back, but also in my elbows and neck...
Since I went wakeboarding this weekend the pain in my back is hardly tolerable...he went with his uncle who has Degenerative disc disease and he offered me a Percocet which helped somewhat with the pain and helped me start moving a bit again...
I'm just wondering how I could bring it up to my doctor since I'm just 21 and I know how reluctant doctors are to prescribe this type of medication to younger adults...
Thanks a lot,
Fred.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey sunnyhours! NIce to hear from you again, even if it is with bad news. I am so sorry you are still struggling to get the help you need. I have heard of percocet, but I have no idea what our quivalent is. There is a parent on this forum who has just come to England from the States, so he might have a better clue. Surely, aged 21, you are an adult. Anyway, just ask. Surely YOU should be able to have the pain relief you think you need, but shouldn't THEY really be trying to diagnose you first? It would be good to be able to get to the bottom of what is going on with you, for your sake. You must be feeling so frustrated: please keep in touch with us lot over here, Fred. I want to know how things pan out for you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Fred, I think you need to get back to the new doc once he is back from his travels. Have you been referred to a rheumy/ortho yet?
    If the meds aren't working and you would like to try something - no harm in asking ... Just might be that doc hadn't thought of it!!

Speedy

PS if your back is very stiff and lacks movement - have you had physio to work on this? If not physio or remedial sports massage might be helpful.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sunnyhours
    I'm planning on seeing the "new" doctor as he seems nicer and not too closed minded hehe...I'm taking around 8 Tylenols a day and it does nothing for the pain, along with the Celebrex...I mean it isn't that bad but it's the fact that it's always there and that sometimes I get a flare-up, that is taking the life out of me...
    My doctor is coming back on the 30th so I'll see him then, and I received a letter from my insurance stating that I should receive my card soon so I'll be able to get the blood test before my doc comes back...
    Anyways,
    Thanks for the support, love you all :)
  • dreamdaisy
    I know what you mean about the pain always being there: mine hasn't gone for years and now I don't want it to: it would only come back and that would mean adjusting all over again - NO THANK YOU! I envy you the celebrex, that worked so well for me but I was taken off it for reasons of cost.

Keep fighting your corner sunnyhours. And please keep in touch. DD
  • sunnyhours
    Yeah it seems to be helping a bit with the pain and it works well to relieve stiffness...but you are right it is darn expensive...around 2$ per pill seems abusive though.
    Especially in my financial situation...I just found a job after 2 months unemployed without any government help...so money is a big concern...but it does help overall much more than anything else I've tried except for those pain meds my uncle gave me...
    And yes I'll keep updating on how I'm doing,
    Thank you so much for the support all :D
  • dreamdaisy
    I am so pleased you have found work. What is it? When do you start? Hey, sunnyhours, this is good news! DD
  • sunnyhours
    I'll be working in a pet shop...it's a s***ty job but it's better than nothing, I'll be able to survive and I'll only be working 3 days a week so I'll have time to look for another job meanwhile, and work on my online web design portfolio...
  • dreamdaisy
    You are right: it may not be the best job in the world but it will keep the wolf from the door, leave you time for the stuff you want to do and get you out and about. Good on you, sunnyhours. I hope it all pans out OK. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I've spotted your name - how are things? DD
  • sunnyhours
    Hi DD,
    I'm doing OK, I'm struggling a bit at work since I have to bend down and stretch to reach stuff or clean stuff but at least I'm enjoying most of the time I spend working with the puppies and kitties lol
    I just saw my dad and he gave me a bit of money to go to the doctor so I'll do that on Friday since it's my day off...
    The worst part isn't at work but when I come back from work and start to relax, the pain seems to get worse when relaxing...maybe just that I'm not doing anything to take my mind off of the pain when I come back from work...I mostly feel depleted of my energy, so I try to take it slow...
    I've started using Tylenol no.1 with 8mg of codeine in them which seems more effective than anything else but still not enough...it's over the counter without prescription at the pharmacy so at least I have access to that...
  • speedalong
    Hi Sunnyhours, when you are at work you are busy and distracted from the pain. When you get home - you have done a days work so will start to ache more and whilst relaxing or trying to get off to sleep - you are less distracted - hence notice the pain more. Try and think of things to occupy your brain whilst you are relaxing. Also learning to relax the body properly with a relaxation/mediation CD might help especially if you tense up when in pain.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sunnyhours
    yeah I'm guessing you are right speedalong cuz my mom gets prescribed a sleeping pill which has some muscle relaxant properties and when she gives me one the pain is slightly reduced so I am guessing even if I don't notice I'm tensing my muscles it might still happen subconsciously...makes me sleep very well too :P
    Also the flare I'm having today is probably due to helping my mother get her new mattress to the 4th floor...we are pretty much "alone" so we have to help each other. We help each other get through the day, even though some days are harder to get by than others it's working so far :P
  • speedalong
    Not surprising you are suffering after carrying the mattress up all those stairs.

Hope you find some relaxation/mediation CDs that work/help you.

I think you and your Mum have a good arrangement.

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    I think that one does, unconciously ('cos you're asleep) tense muscles. I wake up (thanks to pain) and find that my jaw is rigid, teeth stuck together. I have to make a determined effort to relax it, then stretch and release all the tight muscles from toe to head in order to go back to sleep. 90 minutes later , sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, I go thro the whole performance again. You will find a way to cope sunnyhours. Everyone does. YOu mentioned struggling with the walk home - do you use a stick? Support when walking can really help matters. Take care, keep in touch. DD
  • sunnyhours
    Well I do transcendantal meditation, when the pain is so bad I can't sleep...when I am able to sleep that's what I do LOL
    I mostly think about the day I'll have a break from the pain...
    Thanks to everyone for the replies!