not ra inflammation

amethyst
amethyst Member Posts: 30
edited 29. Sep 2010, 17:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
i was diagnosed with zero negative ra in 2007 now i have been told that i dont have that as bloods x rays and mri scan of hands dont show up anything.the doctor at hospital this morning made me feel that i was acting it. he did say that i could have inflammation . but he is not going to give me anything for it just to take painkillers .dont know what to do now as this outcome will affect my benefit that i receive. i just cant work
sorry to ramble on

Comments

• stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh you poor thing - please try not to think that the dr was insinuating that you were acting, you KNOW you how you feel and they aren't feeling it for themselves. Keep pushing them to get you sorted out. Surely they can't just give you painkillers?! Can you go back to the GP?
    :?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi stlucia
    I am so sorry you are being treated like this, sadly you are not on your own.
    The trouble is arthur is so complex, these blood test can change again, I am still in the process of not quite knowing what is wrong.
    Please don't give up, you know your own body, if your GP doesn't listen then see if you can find another one.
    I do hope you get the right treatment very soon.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    That must be very frustrating for you. Your pain is real. Arthritis is tricky to diagnose, especially sero-negative arthritis. Is it worth trying to get a second opinion? You are entitled to that on the NHS.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 29. Sep 2010, 12:39
    Sero negative RA doesn't show up in blood tests, hence its name. RA damage to affected joints doesn't necessarily show in Xrays either, but should show on an MRI - I presume that's why we have them! There are other auto-immune conditions that could be causing this - perhaps do some research, contact the helpline, but you do need to pursue this as it is causing you so much difficulty. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • amethyst
    amethyst Member Posts: 30
    thanks for your suggestions it wasn't my GP it was consultant at the hospital this morning
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If he said you 'could' have inflammation, then he 'should' have given you something for it. Go to your GP and ask about anti-inflammatories, I think they can prescribe those (My GP took me off ones that worked and put me on cheaper ones that don't!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    ask for second opinion to be sure val
    val
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    I don't have any permenant joint damage and I am sero-negative but I've still had RA (JIA) since the age of 7 and goodness knows what state I'd be in (aged 44) if I hadn't received treatment.

You need to see another doc me thinks.

Lois x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi, I've got sero negative and have no damage on xray.haven't had MRI. Maybe get a second opinion?