R.A. sufferers could die 10 years early shock, horror.

tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 30. Sep 2010, 14:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey Alanmancunian

Well this is a cheerful post :roll:

Yes, I have heard this before and just choose to ignore it cos we can't do anything about it.

And in terms of the insurance policies I don't know about you but I reckon I am pretty much uninsurable, what the with RA and the drugs etc!

Ho Hum! You gotta laugh haven't you, else you'd cry! :lol::lol::lol:

Tilly xxx

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yep Alan,

I've heard that too... :( and the drugs we take don't do anything to extend our days either. :roll: although I'd rather have 20yrs reasonable functioning with drugs.. than 30yrs completely stuffed and immobile without them! quality not quantity !

ho hum... better make every day count then, hadn't we?

Iris xxx :mrgreen:
  • tillytop
    Hey Iris

I agree with you totally on quality of life and making every day count. Very wise!

Love Tilly x
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    Well well,, that's not easy to take! However, it just makes me think that I will do everything I can to keep as fit and healthy as possible and live each day to the max (pain and tiredness permitting)!

Be happy and stay as positive as you all can, given what we all suffer with. :D xxxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Alan,

Oh cheerful eh :wink:

I have heard this and well you can't worry about it at all... kinda what will be will be thing.

I know people with ra who are a good age so its not more than a generalisation thing.

I honestly do think this one isn't worth worrying about. Cris x
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Allways think of the half full cup, we might have lived to 110 without arther around, so living to 100 doesn't sound so bad! :lol:

I think doctors at the surgery would happily commit murder on whoever writes all these articles, they have some truth but not the whole truth.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    My bro reckons

So long as the ten years is off the a*se-end of your life - who cares?!

Likley to be too I think :wink:
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Oh Toni ... your brother is a doggon genius.... he's got the right perspective on this one d015.gif

hand me in stitches !

Iris xxx
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    I never wanted a letter from the Queen anyway!

These articles really annoy me - most people by middle age are on permenant medication for something or other.

I also read somewhere that left-handers die earlier than right-handers - so at 44 with RA, I'm probably already on borrowed time! :D

Lois x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    So there is a light at the end of this damn miserable tunnel. Knowing the Mail tho, it's a misprint: it should read that RA sufferers live another ten years thanks to the meds. It's all poppycock. We are what we are, we do what we do, we die when we die. I could be run over by a bus tomorrow - nothing to do with PA! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Don't believe what you read

Fate has the power.

juliePF x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Could die 10 years earlier, could get run over by a bus tomorow or get cancer next year. In my opinion you must live each day as if its your last.

Love this saying:
    Work like you don't need the money.
    Love like you've never been hurt.
    Dance like no-one's watching.
    Sing like no-one's listening.
    Live like there's no tomorrow.
    Fear like a stone.
  • tillytop
    Oh Delboy you do make me laugh! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And I loved your saying Bailey - and the one from Toni's brother!

Tilly xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    delboy wrote:
    It's makes me laugh when my GP tells me I could extend my life for 2 years if I give up smoking but then I lose 10 years because I have RA. I've 15 years to go according to statistics so I shall live it up for the next 3 years as anything after that is a bonus.

Life expectancy 77
    Current age -62
    RA -10
    Smoking - 2
    Total negatives - 74

Time left 3 years.

If I thought that was truly going to be the case I would seek vengeance on the government as I would be dead before they could bring me to trial.

Oh Del :lol::lol::lol: My life expectancy isn't 77...... I past my sell by date now if pa counts...... going to live it up dangerously now :lol::lol::lol: Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, alanmancunian. Statistics can be made to fit whatever view you want. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I've heard about this several times before and a better source for the reasoning behind it than the daily mail is an article on NRAS

http://www.nras.org.uk/about_rheumatoid_arthritis/established_disease/possible_complications/why_is_life_span_shortened_by_rheumatoid_arthritis.aspx

but pah! why worry about something you can't do anything about?

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean :lol:
  • tillytop
    Just read NRAS article (thanks cthornley) which does give good information.

Made me chuckle though that the article states that early death is an "undesirable" outcome. Nice to know that they think us RA'ers are worth keeping alive! :lol:

Tilly x
  • tweedie
    tweedie Member Posts: 70
    Frog, Skiezer, Delboy, and the crew, sorry I didn't reply, internet conection is a bit iffy.
    I was surprised this so called expert claimed it was 10, yes 10 years. If the average age of the population dies at say 80, an R.A.
    sufferer is going to die at 70................... I'm not avin it. He must just go over statistics all day on his computer, think of a number, a
    nd think " this will scare em ". Alanmancunian

Hi All,
    Thought I would as this --- my Gran bless her had terrible RA she lived till she was 94 BUT she also had Altzheimers for the last 8 yrs --- so who knows whats what ?????
    But please remember that the Lovely Goverment will probably kill us all off anyway to save money by denying us our DLA and other benifits --- remember the NEW Rule --- No Can Work --No Benifits Go Starve to death !!!!! ha ha if only this couldn't happen :cry::cry::cry:
    Joanna
    (Tweedie)
    xx
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    I just told my husband that he can marry Cameron Diaz after I'm gone....he wasn't impressed with the offer!
  • tillytop
    Hi Joanna and stlucia

Your posts did make me chuckle! Good job we've all got a good sense of humour isn't it- we really do need it!

Tilly x
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    I've been told by my haematologist that I'm unlikely to reach retirement due to my blood disorder. It was hell of a shock at the time and terrified me. I nearly died last summer (aged 32) because of my crappy blood causing a brain bleed. However, this year I've turned my life around completely and am living in the now. I have a 3 year old daughter so my attitude is so long as I stay around long enough for her to become independent I've done well.

Think about it, even the 'average' person (what ever that is) can be killed in an accident. How many people these days actually die of natural causes and what exactly are they? Ok, we might have health condition that could impact our life expectancy but the longer a person lives the more likely they are to develop complications of some sort. Stats (and I worked at the Office for National Statistics) are down to interpretation and the media usually get it wrong.

Bottom line, life is like a penny. You can spend it any way you want, but you can only spend it once. Make it count. Enjoy life. :P
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    I have always known since I was diagnosed that RA was life shortening - but then again I'd rather have RA and live to 70 than live to 80 and suffer from altzheimers and not remember the wonderful life I've had so far.
    After all - "there are only two sure things in life- death and taxes!!"