New working hours!

joanneredshaw
joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
edited 5. Oct 2010, 10:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

I am still signed off work, but due to go back on Monday with my new working hours. I am pleased that I will only do till lunch time, but worried as my wages will drop by £200 a month. I don't earn a lot of money but really enjoy my job as a teaching assistant for special needs children.
I have had a steroid injection and due to have a top up this week as I haven't had much relief so far from swelling and pain.
I don't qualify for an increase in child tax credits as our combined wages don't drop below the threshold.
HELP, what else am I entitled to? I am in the process of claiming for DLA, even if I am entitled to the lowest amount it would be a help.
I do want to try and keep working although the fatigue and swelling gets me down. But I am willing to give it a go.

Would be lovely to hear any of your advice.

Jo :D

Comments

• Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joanne

I am glad that you are feeling slightly better and you have managed to cut down your hours. I am glad that your school as been sympathetic to you. I am sure you will feel better. You may be able to increase them again the future if things settle down.

Yes, apply for DLA. I know you can apply for tax credits for health reasons - there is a list of conditions that you must have. Might be worth a look into. I don't know much about it, just an idea.

Rest up this week before you go back.

Take care

Fayann xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Joanne

I do hope the reduced hours help you be able to STAY at work :)

Have you tried making an appt with CAB to discuss all the benefit options - they are so quick with there calculators that they would know in a flash if ther is anything you can try.

Love

Toni xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Joanne

You'll feel better now that you've cut your hours. Make sure you leave work on time. The danger of cutting hours is that some people think you'll do the same amount of work in the same amount of time.

The less hours you work the less tax you should pay.

You could ask the Citizen's Advice Bureau for advice or check direct.gov online for advice.

Good luck with everything.

Sharmaine

Hi Everyone

I am still signed off work, but due to go back on Monday with my new working hours. I am pleased that I will only do till lunch time, but worried as my wages will drop by £200 a month. I don't earn a lot of money but really enjoy my job as a teaching assistant for special needs children.
    I have had a steroid injection and due to have a top up this week as I haven't had much relief so far from swelling and pain.
    I don't qualify for an increase in child tax credits as our combined wages don't drop below the threshold.
    HELP, what else am I entitled to? I am in the process of claiming for DLA, even if I am entitled to the lowest amount it would be a help.
    I do want to try and keep working although the fatigue and swelling gets me down. But I am willing to give it a go.

Would be lovely to hear any of your advice.

Jo :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can't help on the benefits side of things but I am pleased that you have been able to reduce your hours. This is a very good thing and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Hi
    I reduced my hours by only 4 hours a week and over the month that is quite a chunck of money but it is worth it just to have that extra time off. I increased my days to 3 x 6 hours and it means I get monday and friday of so each weekend is a long weekend. It really is great and I'm feeling so much more positive about myself. Also the kids and hubby benefit because I'm not ratty all the time and I've got time for them again. Just little changes can make a big difference. So I can honestly say that money wise we find it harder but it is worth it to feel happpier.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Joanne, I'm sure the reduction in hours will make a huge difference to you and enable you to carry on doing the job you enjoy. I agree with Frog - definitely contact CAB, they are very knowledgeable about what you are entitled too and will help with the copious forms and hoops you will no doubt have to jump through.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi you might find the tax man does not come calling if wages have dropped enough that a big help . good luck hope it works out i only do 4 hours a day and can manage that only work in a shop but when do more it to much for me val
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Jo

I can't help with benefit questions I am just dropping in to say Good look on monday with your new hours.

Make sure in the afternoon you take a rest.

JuliePF x
  • joanneredshaw
    julie47 wrote:
    Hi Jo

I can't help with benefit questions I am just dropping in to say Good look on monday with your new hours.

Make sure in the afternoon you take a rest.

JuliePF x

Thanks Julie, I am so relieved that I have a caring boss! I will in deed have a rest when I get home. I will be able to have my lunch at home with my 3 little poodles. Looking forward to it!
    Hopefully I won't be as warn out and I will be able to get the evening meal ready and do a little housework.

Thanks for your kind words

Jo x
  • joanneredshaw
    Afternoon Everyone!

I have been back at work for 2 days now and it has been so lovely to see everyone. My Boss has been especially protective of me and has asked me to keep her posted about how I am feeling and if I am coping ok. I am so lucky that I have had my hours reduced so easily.

I am managing ok, but I am ready to come home and put my feet up by 12.30. The steriod injections have helped with the pain, but I am still very swollen..It's such a relief to know I don't have to struggle on anymore and I am so thankful to all of you for your support.

I have a Rheumy appointment in November and I will be discussing my treatment, as my Consultant was considering Anti TFl treatment. I think this is correct. Not sure :?

I have applied for a blue badge and I am trying to claim DLA. As my Son has to do more and more for me. Cooking meals, helping me dress etc.
    But I shall adapt to my new hours and pay even if I don't get any help.

Love to you all

Joxx :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jo!

Well done you! All sounding as though it is going to plan then.

Great to be back and good for you emotionally I can tell - great boss (Bliss) and DLA applied for . Rheumy appt next month.

I am so very pleased for you :)

Love

Toni xx