cerviacl spondilosis of the neck anyone ???

cas1971
cas1971 Member Posts: 24
I have recently been diagnosed with cervical spondilosis in my neck and in pain most of the time with prescription painkillers .... i cant take anti in flammtory tabs as i am allergic to them.

I am looking for a part time job but really dont know what sort of thing would be best to do any ideas ???

Caroline

Comments

• amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have had this for about eight years after an RTC, it is another name for Degenerative Disc Disease and it basically measn that the disc between the bones in your back is worn out, I used to rub in deep heat and the usual anti inflammatories.

Now that my symptoms have got worse I wish that I had taken things easier, instead of continuing in a career that is hard on even the fittest of people.

If you get it in your early thirties, like I did, the pain tends to be a bit more severe, according to my research, but when you get into your 50's and 60's the pain apparently reduces in it's severity, great only 10 to 20 years to go for me then.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello cas1971, what a tricky one. Every job involves neck movement of some sort, so for a silly suggestion, would wearing a collar help in anyway? They are designed to keep the neck still, whiplash injuries spring to mind and obviously this isn't the case with you, but could that offer relief whilst working? I really don't know: perhaps an OT consult would be a good move. They do have lots of practical advice and solutions to problems. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cas1971
    amboritic wrote:
    I have had this for about eight years after an RTC, it is another name for Degenerative Disc Disease and it basically measn that the disc between the bones in your back is worn out, I used to rub in deep heat and the usual anti inflammatories.

Now that my symptoms have got worse I wish that I had taken things easier, instead of continuing in a career that is hard on even the fittest of people.

If you get it in your early thirties, like I did, the pain tends to be a bit more severe, according to my research, but when you get into your 50's and 60's the pain apparently reduces in it's severity, great only 10 to 20 years to go for me then.
    Hi i am 39 and i had 2 episodes of torticollis a few years back the had a RTC into the rear of my car last april and since i have had an MMR and it showed cervical spo ndiylolsis , ia m in constant pain and on painkillers all the time i just don't no what to do :( for work as i am used to doing something .
    what job did you do and how long did you work with your pain as i was working up until june this year till the doctor said no more heavy lifting which i did quite a lot of.

Regards

CAROLINE
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    I was in the Ambulance Service when I injured my neck, it was 7yrs ago and I have continued with my career as normal, just continued with pain killers as and when needed, I wouldn't consider it as a reason to stop working, even in a physical job.

I have used deep heat to good effect with my neck, but you will have good and bad days, physio helps aswell.

I have now developed thoracic spondylosis after a fall at work, about 6 foot onto my back, landing on concrete, but the was nearly three years ago, I was still lifting and carrying till about two or three months ago, but the inflammatory arthritis is the final nail in the coffin for me, along with the fibromyalgia.

One thing you will find, if you become less active your pain will increase, as the muscles in your back and neck will weaken.

The only thing that I couldn't continue to do after developing cervical spondylosis was ride a motorbike. As that wind and weight of the helmet made the pain worse.

Everybody has some spondylosis, but when you have a "trigger" incident, such as your accident will tend to exacerbate any mdee symptoms you may Have had up roll that point.
  • cas1971
    amboritic wrote:
    I was in the Ambulance Service when I injured my neck, it was 7yrs ago and I have continued with my career as normal, just continued with pain killers as and when needed, I wouldn't consider it as a reason to stop working, even in a physical job.

I have used deep heat to good effect with my neck, but you will have good and bad days, physio helps aswell.

I have now developed thoracic spondylosis after a fall at work, about 6 foot onto my back, landing on concrete, but the was nearly three years ago, I was still lifting and carrying till about two or three months ago, but the inflammatory arthritis is the final nail in the coffin for me, along with the fibromyalgia.

One thing you will find, if you become less active your pain will increase, as the muscles in your back and neck will weaken.

The only thing that I couldn't continue to do after developing cervical spondylosis was ride a motorbike. As that wind and weight of the helmet made the pain worse.

Everybody has some spondylosis, but when you have a "trigger" incident, such as your accident will tend to exacerbate any mdee symptoms you may Have had up roll that point.

Hi there

i can't take any antiflams as i have severe anaphlactic reactions having to have adrenilan so i am limited to what i can use or take on co codamol from gp as well as amitriptaline.

Been to see orthapedic consoltant about the accident he thinks the accident did not cause it i agree but i think it has exaberted it as i did not know i had it at the time and i am now always in pain which i never was.

hope your ok

p.s my husband also works for the london ambulance service :)
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I find Nortriptyline helps with mine, when it's bad I take Tramadol as well, it's never been a work issue for me but I find it is debilitating at times, I find concentrating can be hard and it gives me tinnitus which does my head in, also sleep is disturbed.