A Meditation

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 10,319
edited 29. Oct 2010, 19:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I posted this a while ago, and some people have asked me to post it again as they found it helpful.
...........................................................................................................

I have been trying meditation as a way of combatting pain, stress and tiredness. I have found this a beneficial exercise, so I thought I would post it for anyone else who would like to try it. It need only take 5 minutes, but you can build it up to longer ( preferably 15 to 30 minutes a day, 4 or 5 times a week) So don't just do something--- sit there!!

Begin by finding a quiet spot where you will not be disturbed.

Take the phone off the hook.

Turn off your mobile phone, radio, and television, as well as any unnecessary electrical equipment in the area immediately surrounding where you will be meditating.

Sit or lay down in a comfortable position. This could be in an arm chair with back straight, feet flat on the ground, and hands resting on thighs with palms flat. If you choose to lay down, this can be either on the ground with feet shoulder width apart, back straight and hands resting gently to the sides, or on a bed in the same position.

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath, hold it in and tense up every muscle you can. Exhale and release the tension.

Repeat this twice more, making three breath/tensions in total.

Visualize your muscles becoming relaxed and saturated with a brilliant, white light.

Start at your toes and work your way up to the top of your head, pay particular attention to the shoulders, jaw and facial area, and any other area that may be causing you particular concern. All the while taking gentle, deep breaths.

If you hear sounds such as cars passing by, people talking, dogs barking etc. Just let these sounds pass over you. Do not judge these sounds, simply allow them to occur and fade away, all the while taking gentle deep breaths.

When you feel sufficiently relaxed, draw your attention to your chest area, and visualize a tiny ball of light that rests half inside and half outside the center of your chest.

This ball of light can be any colour that feels comfortable to you. The ball of light starts out tiny, but expands gradually with every inhalation and every exhalation.

Continue to visualize for this meditation so that the ball grows larger and larger, all the while producing a greater feeling of loving peace and calm.

Allow the ball of light to grow as large as you feel comfortable with.

This ball is a ball of healing love-energy. Allow the ball to move to wherever you need healing in your body.

You can direct the ball or allow it to move by itself. If you have a loved one that needs healing or love, who may be emotionally troubled, you can send this ball of love-energy to this person in your mind.

Visualize the ball leaving the room and travelling to the person in need. Or you can allow the ball to leave of its own accord, it will travel to someone who needs your love-energy. Or you can simply reabsorb the ball back into your body.

When you feel that the meditation has finished, gradually and gently bring your attention back to your surroundings, and slowly open your eyes.

Do a few stretches after meditation and just chill and relax for a few minutes before moving on with day to day things.

Joan
:D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,303
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My problem is I have the attention span of a weasel on speed!, I tend to just go to bed and try and think/dream of something nice like bear baiting with the evil woman from HR as the bears adversary!, no seriously I do try and just drift off into a nice dream sometimes it works but as of yesterday it kicked off a flare so here I sit at home feeling like my legs are being slowly crushed whilst I kneel on two metaphorical pencils just below me kneecaps!, don't ask why but that's how it feels right now, I also lose the plot slightly and start forgetting things and loosing stuff, keys work pass etc, even if I think I know where I left them I haven't and they tend to end up in the oddest of places I become a walking liability and i can't concentrate of bugger all it drive me crazy.
    Sorry Joan I went off on one again!.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mellman01 wrote:
    My problem is I have the attention span of a weasel on speed!, I tend to just go to bed and try and think/dream of something nice like bear baiting with the evil woman from HR as the bears adversary!, no seriously I do try and just drift off into a nice dream sometimes it works but as of yesterday it kicked off a flare so here I sit at home feeling like my legs are being slowly crushed whilst I kneel on two metaphorical pencils just below me kneecaps!, don't ask why but that's how it feels right now, I also lose the plot slightly and start forgetting things and loosing stuff, keys work pass etc, even if I think I know where I left them I haven't and they tend to end up in the oddest of places I become a walking liability and i can't concentrate of bugger all it drive me crazy.
    Sorry Joan I went off on one again!.

    Hi Mell

    I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering at the moment, and I hope you will feel better soon. I certainly don't recommend thinking about the evil woman from HR. That would make anyone feel ill!!!

    Re the concentration difficulties with meditation, it does take a bit of practice to shut out distractions. The best thing is to concentrate on your breathing and to start with just a few minutes of meditation. The central purpose is to quieten the mind, and through this it can help to quieten the body. It is unlikely ( but not impossible ) that you will see results immediately, but with practice it can be very effective in helping to manage stress, pain etc.

    I was very sceptical about this to begin with, but now find it very helpful. Of course, like eveything, it works for some people and not others.

    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,131
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joan
    I have just answered your post on LWA, and will certainly give it a go, when our Grandchildren go back to school that is.
    I did try it many years ago, but I will stick with it this time.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Joan
    I have just answered your post on LWA, and will certainly give it a go, when our Grandchildren go back to school that is.
    I did try it many years ago, but I will stick with it this time.
    Love
    Barbara x

    Hi Barbara

    It is worth giving a try, but just begin with a few minutes and build up. As I said on the other forum, it's free, you don't need to see a doctor to obtain it, and the only side-effect could be that you might occasionally fall asleep :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 26,879
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Joan

    I need your voice recorded telling me to do that...

    then I KNOW I could do it :?

    Love

    Toni xx

    (zen candle is lit)
    Love

    Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,142
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    frogmorton wrote:
    Joan

    I need your voice recorded telling me to do that...

    then I KNOW I could do it :?

    Love

    Toni xx

    (zen candle is lit)

    Yes toni I need her voice too have to keep opening eyes for next instruction.

    Was sat earlier with cucumber on eyes, kept falling off :?

    JuliePF x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 26,879
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Julie

    I can see you now!!! :lol:

    Joan should make us a CD :D

    There you go Joan a nice gentle CD please - where do i send ma cheque?

    Toni x
    Love

    Toni xxx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I do a thing called vizulisation. I lay down and relax and then I visulize this evil little man called 'Arthur Eyetis'. As i imagine standing straight and tall over him I give him a bloody good kickingand hurt him more than he hurts me. The only problem with this is over the years Arthur has morphed into my ex-husband! :shock: :shock: Actually what am I saying!! - it's not a problem at all in fact it's rather liberating! :wink::wink::wink:
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    frogmorton wrote:
    Julie

    I can see you now!!! :lol:

    Joan should make us a CD :D

    There you go Joan a nice gentle CD please - where do i send ma cheque?

    Toni x

    I hadn't thought of that :!: A missed opportunity :?: :lol::lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    katekelly wrote:
    I do a thing called vizulisation. I lay down and relax and then I visulize this evil little man called 'Arthur Eyetis'. As i imagine standing straight and tall over him I give him a bloody good kickingand hurt him more than he hurts me. The only problem with this is over the years Arthur has morphed into my ex-husband! :shock: :shock: Actually what am I saying!! - it's not a problem at all in fact it's rather liberating! :wink::wink::wink:

    That's another kind of meditation altogether, Kate :!: :lol: I think it's called getting even :!: :shock: :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Actually I think its what's known as retaliation, nothing like it's distant cousin meditation.. LOL

    Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Actually I think its what's known as retaliation, nothing like it's distant cousin meditation.. LOL

    Tony

    There's a time and a place for both, but I would recommend meditation as the safer and more soothing option :!: :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif