Neuropathic pain and OA?.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 31. Oct 2010, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just getting over a flare again, mind you I caught this bugger early but still it's not like the normal day to day bone pain that pain meds can handle, this pain comes on slowish and creeps in when your active, so I sit down to relieve the discomfort which works for about 20 minutes and then I have to get up to do the same, it's a slow sickly squeezing discomfort that goes from just under the front of both kneecaps and travels down the shins.
Also I get a feeling like I am kneeling on a pencil just at the bottom of both kneecaps, also I get what feels like a cold draught blowing on my shins I also get a odd slight tingling in my feet and toes?, the only thing I can do is crawl into bed and wait till it buggers off, afterwards I feel like a chewed bit of string,
Anyway I'm off to a neurologist on Tuesday to have my wiring checked out, I bloody well hope they find what's causing it as it's about done my head in. My only hope is they link it to some type of neurological disorder, has anyone on here got or been tested for this type of pain with their OA, and what are your symptoms if you do have it and what are the tests like, what should I expect?.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mel.

You got back trouble? Sometimes that does the shin thing and a whole lot more I guess.

Its good your being checked out but I hope they link it to your bones cus that's a better kind of nerve pain really. The tests I had were years ago and then after the mri and a cap scan they told me I had nerve damage in the spine. The wrists and elbows were done with electrodes but they did do an EEG as well now I think about it.

You hang in there and have big pockets cus a few of us will be in them! I often bring a sheep r a horse so its big pockets needed :wink: I really hope hing get easier for you soon. ((( ))) Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh mell, I do sympathise. I don't have anything like this at all but it sounds miserable and very uncomfortable. I hope they can discover something when they investigate you, it does sound nerve-related, perhaps a vertbrae is squashed or summat. I dunno, I'm not a doc, but it could be something like that, yes? I wish you well and let us know how you get on please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Mel :shock: that all sounds too painful :!:

I'm glad you're going for investigations... and will keep my fingers crossed you get some answers. :wink:

I have PA painful knees that stop me in my tracks... and get nerve pain down the back of my legs and cramp in my feet, particularly at night.... but
    doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as you are suffering. :roll: :!:

let us know how you get on Tuesday?..... and can I jump in a pocket that don't have either smelly brie (Tony) or will be likely to get kicked by a horse (Cris) :lol::lol::lol:

If DD's going she usually has Pink Fizz :wink:

good luck Mell...

Iris xxx
  • skezier
    Hi Mel,

You need a bod warmer with as many pockets as this one got :lol: xx

Hey Iris,

She wont kick you but I shall bring a sheep instead and she can go in with Toni and her smelly brie cus she likes cheese :lol::lol:

I am going in which ever pocket has the fizz actually....... :lol::lol: xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi all well been kicking this bugger around for the last two and a half flippin years and still no reason for it, it is however defo linked to my knee op so I was wondering if there is any chance of nerve damage down there, the feeling comes just at the bottom of the kneecap, first thing is it starts to feel like I am kneeling on a pencil or cable, not painful just annoying.
    Then what normally happens is I get very tired so tend to have a kip when I get home, each bloody time I do I always wake up with my right knee aching and then the fun begins, shins below the knee feel sort of cold my feet and toes have a slight vague tingling in them and slowly the discomfort starts to take hold, in the end it's like a crushing feeling that isn't like anything else I have ever come across, pain meds don't touch it only complete rest helps, if not the longer I am up and mobile the longer it stays and the stronger it gets, now skezer I have had a brain MRI a spine MRI a neck X ray with my neck flexed, I have an unstable disc at the C7/C6 joint not to bad I also have a slight disc bulge there, I am told it's not anything that can cause the knee problems as the disc doesn't touch enough of my spinal cord. Oh I also have two pairs of fused discs higher up my neck again I am told this is not the cause.
    I also have a small Cyrinx cyst in my mid spine.
    So now I am off to the nerve dude but again I bet nothing is found, I am totally pissed off with it all as these attacks come and go and can take days to come and bloody days to leave, afterwards I feel like a chewed bit of string, it's not in my head it's defo in me knees or lower legs but there isn't anything there that they say could do this to me, totally odd and frustrating.
  • skezier
    Hi Mel,

Are they nerve testing from the knee do you know? It might well b coming from there and with a bit of luck they will get you sorted out better than this.

Have they ever given you the nerve blockers at all? Might be worth a try if they haven't. Hang in there and hopefully they will sort it this time. Cris xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    No wonder you're feeling so p***d off with it all Mell :roll: ... that's a long time to be suffering... and a lot of tests to have gone through without answers being given as to the cause. :!:

Somebody, surely, must be able to track where it's coming from! I hope that this appointment with the nerve guy brings with it some answers... and some advice about what can be done to alleviate the effects and the pain. :shock:

will be thinking about you mell ....

Iris xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Mell
    So sorry you are suffering, half the battle is knowing what is going on.
    I do hope they can give you some answers, Good Luck with it all.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi mell

are we getting in YOUr pocket now too :shock:

you have to be warned I WILL bring my brie butties with me and it is well ripe :wink:

everyone has posed some good questions haven't they> is it from the knees, back or even the neck? I do hope that they will get to the bottom of it.

The symptoms do sound like nueropathy dont they? I hope they do some tests to get to the bottom of it. It sounds really not only frustrating, but scary :(

Love

toni xx