New to this , some advice needed

dingbat77
dingbat77 Member Posts: 40
edited 31. Oct 2010, 12:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
I Went to an orthopaedic consultant re a painful back ( believed nerve compression) he found I had that on the MRI , however he dropped the bombshell that I have severe Osteoarthritis in both hips ( having x-rayed them) as have flexion deformaties of 45 degrees? and told me I would need them replaced in 2-5yrs even though have no hip pain unless I try and pull my knees to my chest , so my question is how accurate is the prediction likely to be? can he tell years left by amount of wear or is it hit and miss ??

In his report he also stated I am in the same category as Ankylosing Spondylitics not sure how bad that is, I'm 47yrs old.

I had my hips X-rayed last and they were normal can one go from normal to severe OA in a year ??

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dingbat,

Welcome to the forum, its a good place. It might be better to put this over on the living with site though cus not everyone comes to the cc one.

I'm like you the hips are bad but don't really hurt less I do something they don't like. I think that makes us lucky actually...... I also got lot of oa and pa in the back and that isn't so kind to me :wink:

How goo are their predictions? Its akin to how long is a bit of string I am afraid... it moves at its own pace and no one can predict what hats going to be I am afraid.

Nice to meet you and did they say anything about gong on the list for replacement? Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi that sounds scary, not what you want to hear he can not be accurate but must be educated guess, exercise does help with oa as strong muscles help keep joints stable sorry i not much help but one of the others who knows far more than me will be along soon val
    val
  • dingbat77
    Thanks for the replies

I don't need to go on a list as such as I have private health care , so would imagine can get them done as and when.
    He was concerned that my hips were causing me to not standing straight , however most of my problems are pain in my back diagnosed as stenosis.

I just found it strange that ones hips can deteriorate in a year to severe
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,396
    Hi Dingbat

Pleased to meet you - I have back issues too :x

My MIL's hips DID deteriorate very quickly but then she was 73 at the time so I hope yours wont.

I tend to think i wouldnt worry too much - like Cris dont do what hurts and hope for the best.

I hope you find us lot helpful

Love

toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Dingbat

Although I have had problems with my hips for a few years I did find I had a sudden deterioration with the right hip. For example my children could sit on my lap just before Christmas but a few weeks later I couldn't bear their weight at all. My right hip was replaced a year later.
    Walking up the stairs is a good indicator have you noticed any changes?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dingbat77
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Dingbat

Walking up the stairs is a good indicator have you noticed any changes?

Elizabeth

No I have no real problems walking up stairs ( unless four or five flights) , I have problems if I stand or walk any distance due to the spinal stenosis, I am stiff in my hips/knees when I get up in the mornings but have been like that for about 18mths.

The only time I have pain in my hips if I try and get my left knee to my chest , the right is better , funny but told right is worst than the left