mobile phones for arthritis fingers

Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 4. Nov 2010, 19:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI

just wondered whether people found any particular type of mobile phone easier to use with stiff & swollen fingers.

I am likely to have to replace my phone soon as the battery is dying and I can't seem to find a replacement. I am certainly going to take my time to find one that suits, but not sure where to start.

My existing one was bought because it had slightly larger keys, but even then I sometimes resort to using a pencil!! It only phones and texts, and the range of phones aroundnow (and prices :shock: ) are mind boggling.

was wondering if a touchscreen was going to be better than a keyboard. Anyone got any experience of using them?

thanks
WONky

Comments

• poppygirl
    poppygirl Member Posts: 23
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi I've got PA and am on mtx and sulfa also co-dydramol for pain as
    I'm currently having a bad flare with 3 of my fingers in my left hand, and I'm left handed!! However even with all that I can type reasonably well and quite easily with my iPhone. I've used one of my sons touchscreen phones also and found that to be just as good. I find it easier as it's such a light tap it doesn't hurt my fingers too badly. Hope that helps? Best of luck with your choice x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Wonky, I have a touch screen phone and it's quite good for using, having said that, my fingers aren't too bad, it's more my hands and wrists, but still, if you get one with a decent sized screen on you might be ok.
    If you go to your local phone supply shop, like Carph0ne Wareh0use... UK?
    Tell them exactly what your concerns are for using a mobile and they should be able to help..
    Or there are plenty of websites like this-

Link deleted as forum rules disallow links to commercial sites.

Moderator D

Not had a real good look at this site but it should give you an idea of what's out there..

Good luck in your search

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Wonky :D

I have the same problems and now have a touch phone that I find so much easier to use .... I can hold it in my left hand and just use my left thumb to do the texting!

It's not an expensive one either.... an LG 'cookie' phone.

Whatever you decide ...try it out first... what suits one person might not necessarily be the right one for you. Once you've found one that suits... google it to see if there are any bargains around. That's what I did and saved £20.00 on the shop price.

Good hunting!

Iris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    There is a new phone out called something odd - it isn't pretty but it has big keys i think its called the doro and is not the prettiest phone.

I myself dont like touchcsreen as I touch all the wrong bits :oops:

and a qwerty was was too fiddly.

I am currently using a blackberry with an ordinary keypad.

Good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I find it much less painful using a touch screen phone. I have an HTC desire. You can programme it to understand the way you type, so it doesn't make too many mistakes.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Hi there , funnily enough I have just treated myself to a new phone from matomobile and am very pleased with it . Suggest you check out the website , they are easy to use ,even for a serial texter like me ! Hope you find one that suits you . Jilly
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    I use a touchscreen phone with a stylus. I find that when my fingers are sore I prefer to use the stylus. However, I don't think much of the LG cookie as half the functions don't work properly. There are other touchscreen with styluses though.
  • Wonkylegs
    thanks everyone :D:D:D

My dad is going to put some money for Christmas towards my buying a new phone, so I'm going to have a look round in town this week.

I will insist on being able to try them out though ... as I know just how long it took me to find the one I use now :roll: and they were not always that helpful at listening to what I needed ..... so I hope their DDA -related training has improved :wink::lol::lol::lol:

I keep looking online but it is so tricky to know how things feel, so I'm going to be like a naughty schoolgirl and try everything out :lol::lol:

I'll let you know what I find out!

WOnky
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Please do let us know Wonky - I need a new phone, but had to go back to an old phone which I knew I could use. All those shown to me at the time were so tiny I could hardly hold them, much less use them! They were not very helpful....that was C*rph*ne W.

Annie
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    Ive got a touch screen mobile phone it comes with a stylus too
    I find it easy to use as its touch sensitive
    Its an Lg renoir if thats the correct spelling
    Maria x
  • Wonkylegs
    boy have I had fun today :D:lol::lol::lol:

decided that the Samsung Tocco Lite is the phone for me - it has handwriting recognition, a better size of touchscreen keyboard to suit my fat fingers, and felt safer in my hand than the LG cookie did.

I would definitely suggest that anyone thinking of getting a new phone ask to see one working ....... I would have ended up regretting my purchase if I hadn't walked round town until I found a shop willing to open three boxes and try them for me!

only problem now is deciding which PAYG tarrif to choose and where to get the phone from :roll:

choices choices eh :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

soon I'll have to make a decision as my phone lost it's charge in a day today :shock:

thanks again

WOnky
  • Wonkylegs
    Well I am now well and truly into the 21st Century :lol::lol: though I think I have rather a lot still to learn about my new phone :wink:

have managed to send some texts, put in some contacts, and play around a bit, but it has so many widgets that I may be some time :oops: :oops: :oops:

ONe thing I am glad about is that I got a stylus just in case it helped. It is only a small, telescopic metal wand (think shrunken radio aerial) but it is much easier for me to use than just my fingers.

have managed to find a spare piece of plastazote tubing miding in my cupboard with a really small bore hole in the middle, so I have popped it onto the stylus and now have a large squashy handle to use, and it makes all the difference.

now on the lookout for a small beanbag to sit the phone on, or might just use my 'book chair' (like a small deckchair) to stand it on.

fun fun fun!!! definitely would recommend a touch screen
    :D

WOnky
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Really glad you got something easier for you to use Wonky :D:D

I just got a bog standard one that half the time is too small to see.... anyone who has text from me know this :lol::lol:

You take care and see you Friday. (((( )))) and slurps Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Woo- woooo!!

Wonky look at you!

Totally trendy :)

Hope you find it a little beanbag or chair to sit on :wink:

love

toni xx
  • Wonkylegs
    frogmorton wrote:
    Woo- woooo!!

Wonky look at you!

Totally trendy :)

Hope you find it a little beanbag or chair to sit on :wink:

love

toni xx

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

it is sitting on my 'book chair' for now, but will have to find it something of it's own, as my book is going to need it's place back :wink: :!: maybe another book chair will be on my christmas list :idea:

even took a photo on the phone today (just typing that feels odd! phones are for phone calls :wink: )

can't stop texting now :D

WOnky xxx