Flu Jab and MTX

alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 3. Nov 2010, 16:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I hope that you all felt some benefit of the extra hour we all got this morning!

Quick question. My Rheumy said that as I'm taking MTX it's very advisable that I have the flu jab this winter and that I should get a letter from my GP summoning me to get one done. I've not yet had the letter. Have any of you had letters or had your flu jabs yet? I don't want to miss the 'season' and end up getting full blown flu over Christmas! :shock: :roll:

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi alarka :D

I'm on Mtx too.. and an anti tnf.. so should automatically have been 'summoned' for the flu jab. I wasn't!

I was in for my regular monthly bloods a fortnight ago and casually mentioned that I thought that the flu vaccinations were being done.

The practice nurse said I should have been notified... but when she checked found that I had slipped through the net; reason being, I get my Mtx jabs script & anti tnf infusion at hospital so the GP's computer doesn't 'know' that I'm on these drugs so doesn't automatically pull me into the 'immune compromised' group for vaccination.

so if in doubt... give the surgery a call!

I've had the jab now. :mrgreen:

Iris x
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Hi Alarkra,

OH and I had the 'flu jabs on 8th Oct. If you don't automatically get a letter from the Doctors' surgery then go and have a look see, ours have posters listing the criteria for those who should have the jab and the ladies book you in pronto :)

If offered, do also have the pneumonia jab (not at the same time!) My OH spent a week in ITU from the 29th Dec '08 with pneumonia, not a happy time as he's an asthmatic. I understand that unlike the 'flu jab the pneumonia jab is effective for a number of years.

Cherry x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi I don't get one, but my husband, who is diabetic has had his about 2 weeks ago. OUr surgery are doing it by alphabet and as we are B he was one of the first to have it.
    :wink: Love Sue
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I just made an appointment, didn't wait for the letter. They asked me if I was in the 'vulnerable' group.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am contacted every year by my surgery as a matter of routine, based on being asthmatic. It is possible you have slippped thro the net, as dorcas said, if your meth etc is prescribed by the hospital. Ring your surgery and check - I think it is a sensible precaution as meth does lower one's immune system, thus making one more vulnerable to infections. Let us know what they say. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    I also slipped threw the net (am on sulpha, not mtx) but a quick phone call to the docs, and am now booked in for my jab next Saturday.

Lois x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I have made an appt for my flu jab because I am on MXT, don't wait for a letter, get on to your surgery asap and ask about it, better still speak to your gp, you might be able to get a phone appt, you really need the jab so be a bit insistent love Jaspercatxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    I have also been told that I have to have the flu jab. At my surgery they are waiting for new supplies so will be having my done next Friday after having my bloods taken. :roll:

It might be best to check with your doctor as the others have said.

Lv, Ix
  • alarkra
    I shall give them a call tomorrow - thanks everyone! :D
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    My surgery has drop in sessions for this so you can't book them
    They always forget to send me a letter but my consultant constantly reminds me to do it.
    Co-incidentially i was in the surgery last week at the same time as a drop in session and so I got mine then....great lump on my shoulder to prove it :shock:
    Chrissie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Hi

I think all surgeries do things slightly differently, but I would definitely ask if you haven't had one before ....... it never hurts to ask.

personally I never get chance to ask .... as the practice nurse gives me my MTX injection every week, and usually as I recover from that she is already preparing the flu jab :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think I have been one of the first to be 'done' at our surgery each year for as long as I can remember ..... though my hubby still hasn't had his, as he wasn't well enough until now, and now has two weeks working overtime so that he can't get to the surgery :roll: :roll: :roll:

maybe by Christmas he'll get it!

WOnky
  • helend
    helend Member Posts: 35
    hi I am on methotrexate and have had a phone call about coming for the flu jab.Has anybody had any bad reactions to jab.Nobody seems to have had any bad symptoms but I allways like to be cautious.Helendx :? :?:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I didn't get a letter but I went to my GP (for other reasons) and it said on her screen "immunocompromised patient needs flu vaccine". I had it there and then. I was fine the next day but the day after was hell. I was swollen and sore around the injection site, which was bearable but I got the flu. I had a high temperature; hot, cold, sweating, shivering. I could barely lift my head. I was convinced the end was nigh. :oops: However it only lasted 24 hours. In hindsight, I'm glad I had it but no one warned me about how ill I could feel. I suppose it's better than getting flu-blown flu and ending up very ill.
  • jackie12
    jackie12 Member Posts: 9
    People react differently to the jab. Yes I had a sore arm for a few days and the day after the jab a little hot. The jab does NOT cause 'flu' as it's not a live vaccine. I know of people who get no reaction at all. :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The week I have my flu jab I do not have my meth jab. This is on the advice of the hospital that does my meth and so far I have been fine, but then I have never had any form of reaction to the flu jab. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jackie12
    jackie12 Member Posts: 9
    Never have given it a thought or been advised otherwise about not injecting metoject in same week as flu jab.
  • alarkra
    I spoke the the GP receptionist today. They can't do me until next Wednesday as they are awaiting another delivery of the flu jabs... shall we start taking bets on whether I get struck down with flu before I get the jab?!! :shock:
  • alarkra
    Oh God. All joking aside, I really think I am coming down with flu. I have a terrible cold and all my joints are swollen up (more than the usual RA swellings, they actually hurt more)... I'm so low today. :( I am supposed to have my next steroid jab on Friday to top me up, but I don't know if they will let me if I have this stinking cold / flu. :roll: :( So annoyed I didn't get a letter to remind me about getting the jab - I may not be in this position if I had. :cry: I hope that you are all doing OK and avoiding all the coughs and sneezes at the moment!
    8)