Those Three Little Words... E.S.A.

dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
edited 3. Nov 2010, 10:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just read an update on ESA ...

The Chancellor it seems has decided to target only those claimants who are on contribution based ESA, so it seems that the changes will not effect those who are on Income based ESA.... irrespective of their position at the 12month cut-off.

So, thinking logically the chancellor is not basing continuance on this benefit on whether the person still meets the criteria on 'work capability' but rather is withdrawing it, without further assessment, on a purely time limited basis... but ONLY for those claimants who have worked and contributed to the welfare state ... those people who have found themselves , through ill-health or disability, in the invidious position of 'requiring' to apply for ESA .

am I missing something here?

Oh.. and after the 12mths those being 'cast adrift' may or may not be able to apply for other benefits.. depending on savings and whether they have a partner who is working.

Is Mr Osborne making an assumption that people who have worked but retired early due to ill health and who have an occupational pension can automatically afford to be 'dumped' onto some benefit bereft tip after 12mths? :x :x :x

Some, like me , having raised children and looked after elderly parents in between working years, have only a small occupational pension. ESA is already means tested for us.... and interestingly... is indirectly taxed too as your Tax Code is reduced to reflect the ESA allowance thus reducing the amount of occupational pension.

I am totally flabbergasted at this blatant form of discrimination.

rant over ......(probably not!)

Iris e010.gif

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think there a few more rants to go on this one, dorcas! No-one is thinking things through to an adequate level in their rush to be seen to be doing something: I think that is the fundamental problem, plus we can only rely on the press for initial information - and we all know how acurate they are.

I like your thundercloud.

DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Iris, I agree with DD, all the cuts and changes are based on crisis management and nothing is being thought through. It seems the government don't want to appear weak and so wont modify/refine their flawed plans.

I don't really understand all the ins and outs of ESA, but it does look like all you can do is fight, lobby and make people like your MP aware, exhausing though this is ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Iris,

I am truly sorry that you have to put up with all this. I know it will be doing nothing for your well being.
    Are you still in touch with your MP? It seems to be getting crazier by the day. I do hope there is a review of all this. In the mean time people have to live with all the stress.

Whatever happened to the promised fair society?
    s060.gif

Gentle hugs,
    Ix
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Iris,

Just sneaking in to leave you ((((( ))))) an legging it before you blow again :wink:

Its not fair but this lot were never going to be fair....

They won't change they have been the same ever since they started out! They are purely there for making the rich richer and a joke to any kind of fairness or social conscious..... They never once have had... its not what they believe in....

Its just unfortunate they are being propped up by people who are compromising their own principles! Cross as well for you. Love Cris xxx
  • cythna
    cythna Member Posts: 42
    This is really beginning to worry me. I received a fairly small (£400) a month pension fom my job, and with IB and DLA manage okay. However if they decide to cut off IB after one year I'll lose a lot of money. My ground rent on my home goes up from £70 to £700 next month, the building's maintenance is very high, I've a mortgage, and I'm paying for care, all out of this money. I've just been told my ramp is on it's last legs, and is going to cost £1,700 to replace.

Being disabled is so expensive. As I'm sure everyone finds, heating costs are very high, because when you are sitting around in pain you need to be warmer than if you are active, or out. You can't just buy the cheapest of anything, because you have to consider weight, ease of use etc. This whole thing is ridiculous. I have a friend who has never worked, who has RA, and who would qualify on the non contributery system, but because I've worked they might take it away from me :x

And this is even if I qualify for the support group.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi cyntha :D

it is a worrying time for lots of us. As far as I know the changes to IB won't happen immediately. I've posted you a link to a helpful website that explains the changes and where you can post a question about your own circumstances (if you want) to one of their financial or benefits experts.

http://savvywoman.co.uk/c8-pages/c8s3.php?art_id=419

and a link to the disability alliance who provide a number of helpful factsheets

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f32.htm

hope that's helpful,

Iris xxxxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Iris, you've got it right as I read the article anyway. And job seekers allowance stops being automatic after a year and is based on savings etc, so I know that I'll get nothing when they come round to calling me in. I'm a bit worried as it is nearly a year since I had my medical and they are still paying me at the basic rate. I don't want a bill, but don't want to rock the boat either.
    Our savings are over the top, as we have been left more than the amount you can have but that money is invested for a pension, as I won't get any more now and Jerry's won't be much as he's not won't have worked at the council for long enough. It is worrying in the long term, as care costs are going up and hopefully, we will live a few years after retirement. We thought we had made all the right moves, not spending too much now, so that we will have some for later but we could have gone out and spent the whold B++++ lot and enjoyed ourselves. Sorry, the rant is back, I'll go now! :roll: Love Suexxxx Just seen the Web site, Iris I'll look it up. Thanks
  • cythna
    cythna Member Posts: 42
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi cyntha :D

it is a worrying time for lots of us. As far as I know the changes to IB won't happen immediately. I've posted you a link to a helpful website that explains the changes and where you can post a question about your own circumstances (if you want) to one of their financial or benefits experts.

http://savvywoman.co.uk/c8-pages/c8s3.php?art_id=419

and a link to the disability alliance who provide a number of helpful factsheets

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f32.htm

hope that's helpful,

Iris xxxxx

Thanks Iris, those are very interesting websites! I try not to let it worry me too much, but I've never been interviewed about my IB, and it all sounds a bit daunting.

Glad to see you are keeping up the good fight!

Bests, Susan
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Iris

hope yo are keeping quite well.

Just to say thank you for the two websites you have put on
    just read them , just in case

Thik we are all waiting for a dreaded letter. Have a fear of brown envelopes getting too many recently, hosp app or results. :(

Juliepf x