Just diagnosed cervical osteio arthritis

cowren
cowren Member Posts: 13
Hi just had Dr verdict om brain and neck MRI
" brain fine no lesions or sign of stroke neck well lets just say tablets ain't going to put it right"

been of work since June started back in feb march severe muscle spasm in neck and shoulder first MRI done result slight bulgeing disc C5/C6 had a cortisone injection under shoulder blade
after 2 wks off returned to work
Still pain in neck but not much more then fell down stairs for no apparent reason actually scored hatrick in one week!
More medication from dr ice and heat therapy
resolved by may still continued to work .
Then June another accident mini bus decidec to move when I was still trying to board ! A&E visit one x ray later to my leg no broken bones but muscle damage to lower leg and more muscle spasm to neck.
I had a follow up appointment at hospital from orignal referal in march
and had emg inbetween results of emg showed damage to all nerves and muscles tested . Consultant decided another MRI and results as per top of posts.
Need to get back to work for finacial reasons what do I do ? Awating neurolgist appointment and spinal consultant approx 12 wk waiting list !!! And that an urgent referal

Sorry so long winded but feel better now the whole sorry saga is down in black and White

Please help !!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Morning cowren, you poor thing. I am sorry about your situation but I cannot help as I have the wrong sort of arthritis. It may be better for you to post along similar lines on the LWA forum (living with arthritis) as more people tend to hang about there, they should spot your name and hopefully respond with ideas and info. Please post again - and join in on chitchat - all sorts goes on there! Comedy, philosophy, politics, gardening, poetry etc etc. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cowren
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Morning cowren, you poor thing. I am sorry about your situation but I cannot help as I have the wrong sort of arthritis. It may be better for you to post along similar lines on the LWA forum (living with arthritis) as more people tend to hang about there, they should spot your name and hopefully respond with ideas and info. Please post again - and join in on chitchat - all sorts goes on there! Comedy, philosophy, politics, gardening, poetry etc etc. I wish you well. DD

thanx
    DD
    was really low yesterday just feel so useless at the mo !
    Can't lift anything and moveing into a bungalow in three weeks as husband us terrfied the next time I fall down the stairs it will be the last time. I'm used to moveing house but this Is so much harder coz I have to think about my limitations !
    I will chech out the site you recommend.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The stress of moving won't help, it is something I have to face as our current place is soooooo user un-friendly now. We were going to do it this year but somehow . . . . . . .

Pace yourself energy-wise, do a little then rest, do a little more then rest, etc etc etc. It does help, tho things take longer to get done. Be kind to yourself too, try not to stress too much, you won't help your health, either mental or physical. Come and moan to us, we are good at listening, have a wealth of experience between us, and are very good at practical suggestions for living. The move, tho stressful, will reap huge rewards: all the good things in life take effort. Take some time out to look at the other forums here, you will get the feel for it - join in! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cowren
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    The stress of moving won't help, it is something I have to face as our current place is soooooo user un-friendly now. We were going to do it this year but somehow . . . . . . .

Pace yourself energy-wise, do a little then rest, do a little more then rest, etc etc etc. It does help, tho things take longer to get done. Be kind to yourself too, try not to stress too much, you won't help your health, either mental or physical. Come and moan to us, we are good at listening, have a wealth of experience between us, and are very good at practical suggestions for living. The move, tho stressful, will reap huge rewards: all the good things in life take effort. Take some time out to look at the other forums here, you will get the feel for it - join in! DD

hi DD I survived the move only just !' most my furniture doesn't fit :( go new sofas on order 5-6 wks lucky I had an arm chair ! It's a fight between my husband me and the dog ! I'm going to go back to work next week Dr said why are they going to give you a medal ! My response no wages! He said phased return oner 4-6 wks as I work 8-4 full time . Work have got there own OH company comeing in to do a new desk assesment on Friday as I had a new chair b4 I went on sick it just may need adjusting and my desk. Going to make sure I get evreything they agree in writing thou. I just hope I can do it :( the Dr will sign me off mo problem if it doesn't work but it's the not knowing that's doing my head in well wish me luck !
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I have osteoarthritis in my neck and some of my other joints and I'm not working. I had to accept early retirement as occy health said I wasn' t safe. Luckily, they gave me a small pension early. I'm 55, my work was as a care assistant, so that is a lot more physical than yours! If you get all the equipment they are promising you, I hope it helps a great deal. At home, simply lowering my chair makes it possible to type for longer.

Has the doctor recommeded that you have any physio? That can help to make the muscles stronger, so they can help support the neck. They are very gentle exercises as too much can be very painful, but they say you increase with time and you slowly get stronger. Its wortj mentioning it to your gP, he'll know if its the right thing for you and if so refer you to an NHS physio. I do hope you soon get some relief from the pain.
    Love Sue. xxx
  • poet1
    poet1 Member Posts: 3
    I have OA in neck, since early 2009, along with all other joints affected since 2006, often wear soft collar, have you tried that at times eases slightly, plus bio freeze or FreezR gels work sometimes for me re neck
    await injections? ouch l tried Tens machine no
    dihydrocodiene ,want to comme off these no help there
    cold yes up here Aberdeenshire like artic
    work? no adjsutsments, moved 5 times in under 3 years, now in wait for it
    stores?? down to 3 days a week and getting worse
    yes time employers faced facts and were brought to book but mine
    well greedy, money grabbing inconsiderate and well know for that
    and i need to work to survive
    sorry that's all i can offer but need to find out what DLA and other i can or able to apply for as this place makes it all worse and yes they don't advertise and don't consider the likes of us
    yours
    poet1