Employment Agencies

Options
greeneyedlady
greeneyedlady Member Posts: 25
Having had to leave 2 jobs in the past year and a half because of people's attitude to my arthritis (and not necessarily the condition itself), I signed up with an employment agency. I explained I have arthitis, diabets and a couple of other autoimmune problems. Anyway, they keep phoning me up and offering me cleaning jobs!

They did find me one interview in my own field, and they actually said they woulod find it problematic to let me have time off for hospitalo appointments. I would have to arrange appointments for first thing in the morning.... these must be super hgealthy people who've never actually cfome into contact with the NHS, and the whole 'say no to 2 reasonable offers of an appointment and you're discharged' thing which my local hospital enforces.

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    When I worked for the Council they liked us to have our gp appt. in our own time, but working shifts made it easier. Hospital appointments were different and they recognised that a hospital visit is difficult to get and you had to take what was offered.
    I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with work. What about the disability Discrimination Act, I know it does't just cover employment, but it is a wide rangeing and covers all aspect of life. Have you spoken to the Disability Advisor at the jobcentre, they should have one and they might be more use to you. I hope something turns up. Love Sue
  • greeneyedlady
    greeneyedlady Member Posts: 25
    Options
    The Disability Employment advisor said she can't help me because I'm not entitled to any benefits (savings) and added that 'we can't wave a magic wand and make a job appear'.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Greeneyedlady,

the DEA wasn't very helpful was she.

Was it the people you would be working with "in your field" who said you couldn't have time off for appointments or the actual employment agency?

Maybe you need to check you qualify under DDA first (which you should,) then look for a job, playing down the whole hospital appointments thing, once you have the job arrange blood tests outside the working day if you can or at the start of the working day and then use your protection under DDA to attend appointments that it isn't easy to reschedule - consultants/rheumy etc

What do you do? Is there an perhaps an employment agency which deals more specifically with your field rather than with multiple cleaning jobs?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.