Due back at work next week and nervous

katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
Hi all,im new to this forum but so glad ive found it!

Ive been off work for a few months now with arthritis i have it in my hands,wrists,legs and back i cant stand for long,unfortunately my ssp is due to run out next week so will have no choice but to return to work but im really not sure if i will be able to cope i work in a very large electrical retail store and am on my feet for hours (we aare not allowed to sit down!)i have tried talking to my manager but he has said there is no eisier roles for me,i just dont know what to do :( ..........sorry if this is long winded and confusing lol

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome, you poor thing - I'm on phased return to work at the moment and finding it difficult/tiring/sore.

If you have arthritis and it makes daily living tasks difficult then you are covered by DDA and your employer has to make reasonable adjustments for you. I don't know how this would apply to the retail business. Have you had an occy health assessment or a workplace assessment by access to work?

If there wasn't the no sitting down rule (!) would there be aspects of your job that you could do sitting down eg on the tills etc? Maybe it would be a reasonable adjustment for you to sit down and this could be negiotated under DDA?

There others with more experience at all of this stuff ... hopefully they will be along later.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • katknapp
    Hi Speedy,
    I suggested to my manager about using the tills instead of running around chasing customers which i am unable to do now and he claimed there was no role for a cashier and that he was under no obligation to create one for me :( ,i signed a form agreeing to occy health assesment months ago and have just found out it hasnt been done ...1 week before im due to go back!!!!!! so i dont know whats going to happen now :?
  • Daisydo
    Daisydo Member Posts: 12
    It's a difficult time for you especially if work aren't being as helpful as they could be. I returned to work but was very fortunate that my employer let me tweak my hours as part of a "reasonable adjustment" to allow me to travel by train instead of car. I don't think the majority of line managers realise how difficult it can be to return after a long absence and any additional stress just makes in tens times worse.
    Hope you get something sorted out. Take Care x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi katknapp

Welcome to the forums, but sorry you are not having such a good time there with your return to work looming. I am still hanging on to my part time jobs and I do one day a week in retail so I do sympathise with the no sitting down rule, which applies at both jobs for my 8 hour days!. I had to get a letter from my doc for permission to use the perching stool when at the till if I need it. Bonkers eh!! Oh how I sympathise re the chasing customers too!

It seems a bit quiet on here at the moment but I hope those clued up on DDA and access to work see this and can advise better than I. I do think you should insist on the occ health assessment asap. Perhaps your doc, could write a letter of support to help get that done? As speedy has said and if you have been with your employer for a while you do have rights which can assist you to stay in your job. The CAB or disability advisor at the job centre can maybe advise you if you give them a ring. I found both very helpful and reassurring so do give them a call. You may also be entitled to disability living allowance. Or you could call the helpline on here number at the top of the page for a chat, they will certainly be happy to listen and advise as to what your options and rights are. The disability person at the job centre can visit you and your employer at work to assess any reasonable adjustments which could be made to help, and make recommendations. Even if it is something as simple as cutting your hours if that is an option you feel you can cope with financially.

Sorry feel like I am rambling here and may have confused you further, but do hope you can make some calls and get the information you need. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    take care
    Chris
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    HI Daisydo, ooh this sounds SO familiar!! My boss said he had referred me to Occy health - but neither occy health or HR had received the referral. So, I self referred. I rang the Occy health dept at the hospital that my employer uses and they gave me a cancellation the next day. I don't know whether this is possible for you to do. You could also ring the disability officer at Job Centre plus for advice and also ACAS.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • katknapp
    Hi all,thank you all for answering my post,well i went back into work to speak to my manager AGAIN and hes willing to allow me to be cashier over christmas after that he expects me to resume full sales role which i know i will not be able to do so im really not sure what to do now,they still havent requested an OT it looks like i am going to have to do that myself!i have a feeling once im back i will be squeezed out of my job as i will not be able to hit my targets as i used to be able to and its that type of company that has no time for lame ducks :(