waiting time for surgery

rosbul
rosbul Member Posts: 2
edited 1. Jan 2011, 19:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I live in Bucks and am waiting hopefully for hip replacement surgery.Has anyone information on waiting times for surgery.
also I have an unsympathetis GP and an astonishingly arrogant consultant.Opinions please

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,
    At the hospital where I had my hip re-surface the waiting time was 3months from when the surgeon puts you on the list.
    Not sure if it's the same everywhere.

Arrogant surgeons seem to be the norm- I personally have never met one who isn't arrogant.
    Your GP- is it possible for you to see another at the practice or indeed move practices?

I have just changed my GP- the old one would not even look at my sore feet but the new GP says it's arthritis.!!!!

Unfortunately it seems to be 'pot luck' with GP's

Hope you get sorted out soon.
    Take care.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am not that worried about a surgeon's interpersonal skills - when he is doing what he does I am out like a light. They know stuff we don't, and they do stuff we daren't. They must also meet some truly horrible patients (in their arrogant opinion, of course). I see no reason why you cannot see the GP of your choice - receptionists are not the gods they think, don't give them that kudos - and why not change practice, if you have another available? Take a poll of your friends and see which GP wins. I wish you well and I hope the surgery helps. It is a good option to have.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,403
    Hi Rosebul

It does vary from area to area my MIL had hers within 3 months from contacting the GP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is service eh?

I hope you dont have to wait too long and am sure as DD says - he will be good at the important stuff like sorting your hip out.

LOve

toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi rosebul

Just want to say hope you are not waiting too long
    and wish you good luck with the surgery
    Juliepf x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Rosebul, I had my hip op in May last year and at that time there were government targets for waiting times. I also remember looking up waiting times on the internet - I think they were compared on an NHS choices website.

Might be worth ringing the consulants secretary/admissions to find out what waiting times are.

It also depends on how urgently you are considered to need the op.

If your deteriorate any more - then be sure to let the hospital know.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    after a hysterectomy in 09 an anthroscopy in may last year and TWR last november each time i was told I should wait no longer then 8 weeks from first date of seeing the consultant and each times it was almost right on time but with cutbacks etc maybe its not like that anymore, good luck though