help anyone else like me.

jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 8. Jan 2011, 14:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi , I have'nt been on for a long time due to being not well. I have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid I wondered if anyone else had the same problem . I have OA in most of my joints and had knee and hip replaced. since having my knee replaced i have never been well all my joints now give my trouble my neck and shoulders are really bad . I go to the pain clinic for injections in my shoulders and spine every 3 months which do help , but i feel ill all the time it seems like all my joints have all joined in I also have a problem with my voice which is very husky and low .
I wondered if anyone else had had trouble with OA and Thyroid and does it make you feel ill every day . sorry i am moaning but i really feel fedup and i dont think things are going to improve . I asked the pain clinic if i would get any better and they said they thought not . They say to concentrate on managing my pain.
They are really good and i do appreciate all they do for me and everyone ,they are the only medical people that have listened i just feel down today 2011 on its way and all i can think about is months of cold weather and pain.
Anyway i was told that autoimune problems run along the same line as RA but i have been tested for that i havent got it , but it does seem strange that all my joints are painful and a problem to me now . Anyway does anyone else have the same problems ...best regards jilly.............. Alicea

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't have your version of arthritis nor do I have a thyroid problem but I am sorry that things have been so rough for you: one thing is enough to cope with, we never need more but always seem to get it! I know there are meds for an underactive thyroid - my auntie takes summat and she's doing OK, so perhaps there is hope on that front for you. As for the low, husky voice - well, you lucky, lucky thing. I think a lower-pitched voice always makes a woman more attractive and far easier to listen to: those with bat squeaks drive me nuts. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi
    Sorry I cant help with the thyroid, but I do have OA, and it is spreading to multiple joints, I am due to have an x ray to determine if it is inflammation or damage to to the joints, I do hope you can get some answers.
    And I wish you well.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Alicea

I do remember you from being on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so rough and for such a long time.

I had a nodular goitre removed when I was 16 years old and as a result have had to take thyroxine from that time onwards. Over the years the dosage stayed much the same once it was sorted to suit me. Only in the past few years has the daily dosage gone down. I am 60 years old now. I have OA and have had both knees replaced in the last two years. My thumbs look horrid from OA but I still have movement in them so I can still manage quite well. My shoulder is affected and my lower back.

Hang on in there, Alicea, the cold, damp weather will soon pass and you know you can always call in here and have a rant or ask any questions. I know there are others on here with an underactive thyroid. How much thyroxine do you take daily?

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Hi there - I've just had to sit and work out again that I've been taking Thyroxine for near on 15 years now.

An under-active thyroid was the first autoimmune problem I developed. Once the dose had been stabilized (which did take a little while) I had absolutely no problems and I was so delighted to get back the energy I had lost.

Suspect it will be reviewed during the next year or so........I'm on 100mgs daily still.

Best wishes to you.

Annie
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    HI Alicea

I have under active thyroid and RA the thyroid problem started when I was 18 but taking thyroxine never got it under control until I was 30 when I started taking liothyrinine 20mg(T3) and thyroxine 100mgs (T4) since then my thyroid is settled and happy Im now 39. RA and hypothyroidism runs in my family. I feel for you. PS my RA is sero-negative so doesnt show in my bloods but has been clinically diagnosed 6 years now.

Hope you get sorted
    Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Alicea,

I haven't got thyroid so can't help with that but just leaving you some ((( ))) and with luck you will start to feel better soon.

Hey the nights are lengthening and the warmer weather isn't too far off. I know what you mean though... the recent cold has trashed me it feels like, roll on some warmth eh? Cris x
  • jilly
    Thanks to you all for your help , i am feeling better today , well in my head . wishing you all a happy new year and less pain . jilly .
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Jilly I don’t have the thyroid problem but it is in my family and I know they can bring it under control, I have a whole host of problems but suffer with RA. At the moment my neck is causing me more grief than I want. I’m a bit like you with the arthritis reaching parts of me I would never have believed I even have it in my eyes. Anyway Jilly that’s not answering your questions. I’m no expert and because I have something does not meen you will get it. First of all Arthritis can effect the voice box with me it is sometimes painful in my throat and swallow muscles, My voice changes tone and sometimes its all sort of gruff I have on occasions lost my voice with it. I find when I’m tired it effects me most. You never said what meds you take, some meds you take can make you feel really unwell and at times I thought the illness was better than the effects of the medication. As for feeling so ill and tired all the time I know just how it feels I used to tell the Rheumy I don’t feel unwell I feel like I’m going to die I’m that ill. The problem with people like us Jilly as that its hard to get a diagnosis because we suffer with an illness that is like many other illnesses, I know its not what you want to hear but it is true. The inflammation caused by Arthritis can make you feel quite ill but the biggest thing is depression you have no idea you have it and it makes you feel so ill. Fibromalgia is something else that can make you feel really ill and cause widespread pain again hard to get diagnosed because its so like arthritis. Coping with long term pain and illness is really hard and it does take its toll on you, long term pain with no bright outlook for the future is hard to cope with and like me you have now been assigned to the pain clinic its like they are saying there’s nothing we can do but we will try to teach you how to live with your pain. Try and book a double appointment with your GP and have a good chat or moan see if he can help or advise in any way. The other problem people like us suffer is you can-not see our illness and although we feel so terribly ill it cant be seen. If you are depressed don’t be embarrassed it happens to the best of us. The important thing is talk to your GP and explore things. I know how bad you can feel and I feel so sorry for you, these things are so hard to deal with. Please take care and please try to explore some of these things with your GP he find the answer you so much need.

Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi jilly
    Dont have thyroid problem
    just wan to say glad you are feeling a little better today
    and send you some hugs ((((()))))
    happy new year
    Juliepf x
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    hi I am exactly the same as you I take throxine every day 225mg and the rough voice is a sympton of under active thyroid you might need a new blood check mine was fine on 200mg for a while then all of a sudden I felt really ill tired beyond belief anemic and feeling generally unwell my Dr has increased my dose by 25 and will increase it another 25mg shortly, like you also I have OA after 16 xrays all showed up sever OA in practically all my joints my left wrist is the first of many ops I will be needing in the near future my right knee and hip is bad along with toe joints and my fingers are awlful I have OA and sero negative as well, I sw my surgeon on a check on on 23rd dec and he said the wrist was so badly deformed by the OA he asked how I managed with the pain, I also have type 2 diabetes spinal muscular atrophy and spondelothesis in my back all of which cause me untold pain and discomfort,
  • jilly
    Colin1 wrote:
    Hello Jilly I don’t have the thyroid problem but it is in my family and I know they can bring it under control, I have a whole host of problems but suffer with RA. At the moment my neck is causing me more grief than I want. I’m a bit like you with the arthritis reaching parts of me I would never have believed I even have it in my eyes. Anyway Jilly that’s not answering your questions. I’m no expert and because I have something does not meen you will get it. First of all Arthritis can effect the voice box with me it is sometimes painful in my throat and swallow muscles, My voice changes tone and sometimes its all sort of gruff I have on occasions lost my voice with it. I find when I’m tired it effects me most. You never said what meds you take, some meds you take can make you feel really unwell and at times I thought the illness was better than the effects of the medication. As for feeling so ill and tired all the time I know just how it feels I used to tell the Rheumy I don’t feel unwell I feel like I’m going to die I’m that ill. The problem with people like us Jilly as that its hard to get a diagnosis because we suffer with an illness that is like many other illnesses, I know its not what you want to hear but it is true. The inflammation caused by Arthritis can make you feel quite ill but the biggest thing is depression you have no idea you have it and it makes you feel so ill. Fibromalgia is something else that can make you feel really ill and cause widespread pain again hard to get diagnosed because its so like arthritis. Coping with long term pain and illness is really hard and it does take its toll on you, long term pain with no bright outlook for the future is hard to cope with and like me you have now been assigned to the pain clinic its like they are saying there’s nothing we can do but we will try to teach you how to live with your pain. Try and book a double appointment with your GP and have a good chat or moan see if he can help or advise in any way. The other problem people like us suffer is you can-not see our illness and although we feel so terribly ill it cant be seen. If you are depressed don’t be embarrassed it happens to the best of us. The important thing is talk to your GP and explore things. I know how bad you can feel and I feel so sorry for you, these things are so hard to deal with. Please take care and please try to explore some of these things with your GP he find the answer you so much need.

Colin
    thanks colin your words are very helpful , everything you say is so true . i have sent you a pm , thanks again jilly
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Jilly I got your post, I remember you well the little chats we used to have and the poem, hope your family is ok to. My heart went out to you and your family My own Regiment have now lost 9 men some of them just boys and people from my own Family are now serving in Afgan. Anyway enough of that, so sorry to hear your suffering so much it must have really got worse at a rapid pace. Wish i had a magic wand for you guys i know how bad it can get and how hard it is to cope. Anytime you need to talk just pm me. I know it sounds a bit silly but i just had a thought, Have you had a depot medrone injection. Its a cocktail of steriods injected into the bum and can give you pain relief for weeks. If you havent had it its worth asking the Rheumy. Its not a fix but it gives you some relief and allows you think straight for a while without the pain.
    You take care Jilly I'm thinking of you
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • jilly
    thanks everyone for the help , lets hope the weather improves then we will all feel a little better . jilly
  • jilly
    hi I am exactly the same as you I take throxine every day 225mg and the rough voice is a sympton of under active thyroid you might need a new blood check mine was fine on 200mg for a while then all of a sudden I felt really ill tired beyond belief anemic and feeling generally unwell my Dr has increased my dose by 25 and will increase it another 25mg shortly, like you also I have OA after 16 xrays all showed up sever OA in practically all my joints my left wrist is the first of many ops I will be needing in the near future my right knee and hip is bad along with toe joints and my fingers are awlful I have OA and sero negative as well, I sw my surgeon on a check on on 23rd dec and he said the wrist was so badly deformed by the OA he asked how I managed with the pain, I also have type 2 diabetes spinal muscular atrophy and spondelothesis in my back all of which cause me untold pain and discomfort,

Hi
    thanks for the help i think they are all connected , i feel a bit better tody i think it just gets to me every now and again . I have been worse since i started with the thyriod trouble i am on 125 at the moment . perhaps i should ask for a blood test as you say . thanks again hope you are keeping ok at the moment. jilly x
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    jilly wrote:
    Hi , I have'nt been on for a long time due to being not well. I have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid I wondered if anyone else had the same problem . I have OA in most of my joints and had knee and hip replaced. since having my knee replaced i have never been well all my joints now give my trouble my neck and shoulders are really bad . I go to the pain clinic for injections in my shoulders and spine every 3 months which do help , but i feel ill all the time it seems like all my joints have all joined in I also have a problem with my voice which is very husky and low .
    I wondered if anyone else had had trouble with OA and Thyroid and does it make you feel ill every day . sorry i am moaning but i really feel fedup and i dont think things are going to improve . I asked the pain clinic if i would get any better and they said they thought not . They say to concentrate on managing my pain.
    They are really good and i do appreciate all they do for me and everyone ,they are the only medical people that have listened i just feel down today 2011 on its way and all i can think about is months of cold weather and pain.
    Anyway i was told that autoimune problems run along the same line as RA but i have been tested for that i havent got it , but it does seem strange that all my joints are painful and a problem to me now . Anyway does anyone else have the same problems ...best regards jilly.............. Alicea
    Hi Jilly,

Now, I don't have an under-active thyroid or OA, HOWEVER, my sister has an under-active thyroid. When I mentioned this to my rheumy, he did say that it IS a connected auto-immune disease type of thing, so in my case it looks like my sister has the thyroid problem and I have the RA. My sister takes thyroxin and it took nearly a year for it to work for her. She found that for a long while she was very groggy, constantly under the weather, lethargic and generally unwell. It takes a while for the thyroxin to get into the system, but when it does finally take hold it really makes a difference. I am not sure how this would affect your OA :?

However, I empathise with the voice box issue - I sometimes wake up with a husky voice sounding as if I have spent the whole night shouting and singing loudly along to music at a club... alas, no fun has led to this symptom which can stick around for a couple of days. Although when I answer the phone at work sounding all husky, people do have great fun in telling me what my part time job on the side should be, so at least some people like it! :wink::lol:

Hope you get to the bottom of it all soon. xx
  • jilly
    Hi thanks that is really helpful , i think it is all connected but sorting it out is not easy the doctors only see their own side and dont seem to listen . GPs say take the pills and everything should sort out . Thanks for the help and all the best for 2011..jilly
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Jilly,

Just wanted to drop you a line.. Although i don't have a thyroid problem i can sympathise with the way you feel regarding your pain all over.
    I today have woke up and can barely move.. feel so heavy and achy all over and am feeling really lethargic...
    I hate these days.. but i am sat with my 2 children in the living room watching them play the computer .. they are certainly putting a smile on my face.. lol
    Wishing you well..
    Hope you are having a better day..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • jilly
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Alicea

I do remember you from being on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so rough and for such a long time.

I had a nodular goitre removed when I was 16 years old and as a result have had to take thyroxine from that time onwards. Over the years the dosage stayed much the same once it was sorted to suit me. Only in the past few years has the daily dosage gone down. I am 60 years old now. I have OA and have had both knees replaced in the last two years. My thumbs look horrid from OA but I still have movement in them so I can still manage quite well. My shoulder is affected and my lower back.

Hang on in there, Alicea, the cold, damp weather will soon pass and you know you can always call in here and have a rant or ask any questions. I know there are others on here with an underactive thyroid. How much thyroxine do you take daily?

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    Hi Elna , i am on 125 do you think some of the symptoms overlap with the arthritis , the trouble is you get as you dont know which is causing you problems . nice to speak again i had to change my user name as i had''nt been on for a long time. hope you are keeping well as you can be , we never seem to be really well. x