Nearing breaking point.

littlemummy2
littlemummy2 Member Posts: 91
edited 13. Jan 2011, 05:04 in My child has arthritis
Hi everyone, :smile:
Phoebe had her check up with Dr wood today he was lovely as usual.
Phoebe had been complaining of her feet hurting, also told him about her right thumb looking swollen again. When she holds a pen/pencil it now rubs between her thumb and finger can look very sore. Dr wood has said she has active arthiritis in her ankles again which explains the pain. Even in pain she was bouncing about the examination room bless her. we have agreed that we need to start a log of when she is in pain. Also that school need to start one too. So i think i need to see phoebe's supply teacher. Doesn't help when i have to say everything i told phoebe's teacher to the supply one.
I'm now getting to breaking point, don't like seeing this little girl who one minute is lovely ans does as she is told to a little girl who is screaming, paddying and giving me a bit of lip.
I am getting an emotional wreck seem to be crying at anything at the moment. :cry: :oops:

Thanks for listening/reading, I hope your children are doing great.

Michelle A.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    In some respects Phoebe has it easy. Yes, she has the arthritis and the pain, but she also has the advantage of youth: as a sick child you are on the inside looking out, you do not necessarily recognise all the implications of being ill, you just are and you hope the doctors and your mum will make you better. As the parent tho, well it is a very different thing: you are on the outside looking in, fully aware of all the implications and also aware that it won't just get better, or just go away. This is as wearing on you as it is on Phoebe, perhaps even more so. You need some support too, plus a little TLC from time to time. Do you know any other mums in your area who are also dealing with an ill child? I know there are mums here, but it's not quite the same. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • littlemummy2
    No unfortunatly not. I am keeping my fingers crossed the the meds take effect soon. Dr wood suggested doing the joint injections using gas and air but phoebe won't let them, she can't stand needles so am hopeing that if she does have to have them that she will be put to sleep for them.

Michelle A.
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh I hope so too, she is so very young for all of this business. Let us know how she gets on, please. Make sure you take care of yourself, too. DD
  • littlemummy2
    Hi bit of an update on phoebe, her supply teacher caught me after school. After her playing out at dinner she ended up sitting on a chair for the rest of the sfternoon, seems she's getting quite sore now when playing out.
    I bought a book from a pound shop and some stickers, so phoebe and myself sat and decorated it ready to take to school, tomorrow the teachers have agreed to fill it in for me so when we go for appointments we can take it with us.
    It also allows us see how well or badly she is doing.

Michelle A
  • SaitenMar
    SaitenMar Member Posts: 24
    When I had two sets of joint injections as a kid I was allowed to be put to sleep on both occasions, so they should allow her to if she is scared of needles.

Having been through it myself, let me say how important a mother is. Obviously a mother is important to any child but when your suffering and no one really understands, a loving mother makes life so much easier. Be strong and supportive, even when times are especially tough, you probably know that anyway. Without the support and love of my mother and family, I don't know what would have happened to me when it got especially bad physically and mentally to handle RA.

I hope matters improve for you and Phoebe, best of luck. :smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    I think getting info from her teachers about how she copes in school is vital: the book is a good idea, surely her doctors would also want to know how she is coping. She cannot necessarily articulate for herself how things are, oh Michelle, it is such a lot to think about and deal with, yes? Whenis she due to go back to Dr Wood? DD
  • littlemummy2
    She goes to see him in about 5 month, but is due to see dr harvey in a couple of month, Dr wood has said if it gets too much for her to let him know and they will get her booked in for injections.
    SaitenMar thank you for your words, brought a tear. I think sometimes we forget just how important family is when it's painful. Phoebe used to have her injections by being put to sleep, i have mentioned to them that she's scared of needles, that was the whole reason why she stopped mtx injection last time.

Many thanks for your support

Michelle A x