Shoes!

monkey17
monkey17 Member Posts: 2
edited 19. Aug 2011, 15:22 in Young people's community
Hi everyone,
I've recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees which subsequently affects my hips and back. I'm wondering if anyone can help with any shoes they find comfortable to wear, at the moment I live in my ancient battered nike air trainers but being 25 would like some funky shoes / trainers which don't make my hurt my knees and hips more. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    if you do a search for 'shoes' on the LWA forum you will find this has been a frequent topic of interest to all ages.

Have you looked at 'hotter'? they have some more modern designs now, and are very comfy. Other people swear by crocs, but I haven't tried them.

hope you find something to suit you.

wonky
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    monkey17 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I've recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees which subsequently affects my hips and back. I'm wondering if anyone can help with any shoes they find comfortable to wear, at the moment I live in my ancient battered nike air trainers but being 25 would like some funky shoes / trainers which don't make my hurt my knees and hips more. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    hi i got some trex walking boots i got from L***S and they are light weight and i got insoles in them that i got from the same shop and because they are light they seem to help and also help support my ankles, much better than my trainers which i wore the heels down on, i will now get another pair like this in future it seems to be helping me, i have OA in my knees as well.

I hope this helps
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • stephibabe2
    stephibabe2 Member Posts: 60
    Hi, being 18 I have the same problem as you willnever believe all the shoes I have that I have worn but find them to uncomfortable or painful and they are never worn again. I have recently brought a pair of Uggs and although I realise they are very expensive but they are like walking in slippers! I would highly suggest them as they are fashionable and comfy. Apart from them and ones already suggested, m&s do a range called footglove which are great for smart shoes for work etc.
    Take care, Steph xx
  • sherry33
    sherry33 Member Posts: 25
    Hi, I swear by Fitflops and Fitflop boots in winter. They are now starting to do bright coloured trainer/shoe styles and also really bright-coloured slip on sort of clog shoes! (I know I haven't described them very well but Google Fitflops and you'll see what I mean)! They have lots of bio-mechanic research and doctors have recommended them as well.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Uggs do not support your feet, and are lethal in the wet. FitFlops are a much better idea, as for me I cannot live without my Crocs. They cushion everything beautifully, thus reducing the pain of walking from that of standing on razor blades to only crushed glass. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    When I was working I always used to buy Clarkes court shoes.

Now that I am not working I live in Converse trainers. They aren't very supportive and can be slippery in the wet but they are perfect for my flat feet and long toes, are easy-ish to put on and come in loads of colours!I have just bought a pair of black and silver ones - Yay! I can often be found in Uggs when I am at home chilling out but don't go out in them. They are great for keeping rugged up nice and warm. The brand 'Emu' is more reasonably priced than Uggs.

Sketchers are very comfortable, come in a range of styles and look good. There is also a brand out there called Acupuncture or something similar that I hear are great.

A friend of mine swears by Birkenstock and Doc Martin shoes (not boots!) - they do look good but I find them too hard on my feet.

Other than that, I have in the past bought very comfortable 'sensible' shoes from The Natural Shoe Company that were kind to feet, supportive and sort of funky looking.

Good luck - The thought of shoe shopping makes my toes curl! :D

Arna
  • marooned
    marooned Member Posts: 68
    Hi, being 18 I have the same problem as you willnever believe all the shoes I have that I have worn but find them to uncomfortable or painful and they are never worn again. I have recently brought a pair of Uggs and although I realise they are very expensive but they are like walking in slippers! I would highly suggest them as they are fashionable and comfy. Apart from them and ones already suggested, m&s do a range called footglove which are great for smart shoes for work etc.
    Take care, Steph xx
    MY DAUGHTER IS 232 ALSO HAS HUGG BOOTS WHICH SHE ALSO SAYS ARE GREAT :)
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Hi
    I love my ugg boots but are not supportive at all.

I have a pair of ART shoes, they are as funky as you can get. The are so comfrtable and have lasted me years already and kept their colours.

you can usualy get these in surfy shops like animal and such places
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Fitflops win every time for me. I especially love my sparkly ones. As it is winter time now, I am awaiting delivery of the new trainer ones.

They are pretty expensive however you could maybe get them as an early christmas pressie?

Until struck with this illness I used to be in high heel platform shoes ALWAYS so had to get my head around the fact that I could no longer wear them. However have much fun rooting around for funky flats now and the shop Du*e do some fab ones. My latest ones are flat black ones with a cluster of shiny pearls on the front.

Let us know what you get.
    Keep smiling, Carol :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Bumped up for meanyjar :grin:
  • Rictina
    Rictina Member Posts: 95
    I swear by Uggs, I live in those & my Addidas running shoes ( no I dont go running, lol ), they are so supportive & cushioning.

Its so disheartening when your so young, & you see all the lovely high heels especially when it comes to special occasions.

Im 37 now & have been like this for the past 12 yrs or so :sad: .

take care Xxx
    Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg
  • meanyjarReA
    meanyjarReA Member Posts: 39
    frogmorton wrote:
    Bumped up for meanyjar :grin:
    :grin:
    Jean-Mary
    www.meanyjar.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/meany_jar
  • meanyjarReA
    meanyjarReA Member Posts: 39
    This is brilliant!

I couldn't find the Natural Shoe Company but the fitflops are fab!!

Can I ask, are we not allowed to write complete company names, I notice that the vowels are all st*rr*d out??

:smile:
    Jean-Mary
    www.meanyjar.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/meany_jar
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think it's seen as advertising, which is banned. Posting commercial links is also frowned upon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sullivt56
    sullivt56 Member Posts: 33
    Try love those shoes in search engine.....

Purchased a pair of confortina shoes which i use as slippers in the house. Even the most painful of days these relieve the pain in my legs etc. They are really really comfortable too......

The site also has a full section of shoes etc for various conditions arthritis was one of them.
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I love m&s and hush puppies for shoes!
    they may not be the most fashionable for a 20 something but they at least mean i can manage a full day at work on my feet!

I've also started to wear Clarks heels as they are very supportive and comfy ... although only during working hours!!

x
  • leosmum
    leosmum Member Posts: 9
    my son has arthritis in left knee and both ankles and a lady in the shoe shop turned us on to shoes by this company http://www.terraplana.com/uk/
    apparently gtreat if you have back problems too - supposed to be like walking barefoot.
  • Rictina
    This thread has been great to read, thanks everyone. :smile:

sfsf.jpg
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    i got a good pair of laced up walking boots, and if you have a problem with laces then get some cord elastic and use it as elastic shoe/ boot laces it seems to work for my son who cant do laces.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • Rictina
    only49 wrote:
    i got a good pair of laced up walking boots, and if you have a problem with laces then get some cord elastic and use it as elastic shoe/ boot laces it seems to work for my son who cant do laces.

Thanks for the tip, I have seen those & wondered if they really worked.

sfsf.jpg
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Shoes are the bane of my life right now. I love my UGGs. They are soft and warm and the only things that feel comfy for my feet. The orthotist told me I need to wear trainers. I've tried lots of pairs of trainers. They're too hard and too uncomfortable. The podiatrist suggested F Flops and I have a pair but I find them even less supportive than my UGGs. The only shoes I like are my fur lined crocs. As soon as I get home, I'm in them!
  • He1en
    He1en Member Posts: 19
    Hiya!
    I am also 25 and have same probs as you - I love Skechers coz they are quite wide and very comfortable (also a Physio I had once swore by them - so also a good sign!) I don't mean those shape-ups - just the standard trainers!
    I have very wide feet aswell which doesn't help, but I also wear shoes from Evans coz they are fashionable and have wide fittings - wedges are very comfortable if you want a heel - hope this helps :smile: x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Does anyone here have orthotic insoles? They make shoes a nightmare. They're quite bulky and make me feet look huuuuuuge in anything other than UGG boots. :shock: Not sure what I'm going to do come summer when I need to wear trainers/ballet pumps.
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    I have recently bought some shoes & sandals from the 'unstructured' range at Clarks. They have real leather, padded inners/heels. They do me for work/daytime although they are not really fashionable. I too feel very frustrated by the footwear situation & I am 38. Thinking about flogging my pre-arthritis shoes on ebay.......
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    i swear by my hush puppies, even tho theyre sandals theyre just so comfy, got 3 pairs white tan and black, also love my sketchers lite trainers because theyre lightweight they are really comfy (think theyre different ones, mine are from a holiday trip to florida so not the ones that have been advertised of late)
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png