Odontoid peg fusion

Options
julie47
julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
Hi there
You may have seen my post on lwa a few weeks ago when i came back from a visit with the surgeon.
He is going to do an operation with screws into my odontoid peg. This will stop me from turning my head left or right.
He will then put back in place my discs c4 and c5 by rodding them too.
Can you please tell me (I don't see surgeon again till may and at the last app I was too upset to think) will I still be able to drive, will it affect the way i sleep. and will it make doing things even more difficult than RA does.
I am also very worried about the op because of the stay in hospital, I am a below knee amputee and it is OH who puts this on for me I can't see nursing staff wanting to do this.So would be without my leg too. (I can't use crutches as my hands are deformed and wrists are very weak)
Is there anyone who can help with my worries.
thankyou
juliepf

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Julie,

I am not surprised you are worried there is a lot of questions that have been left unanswered about your upcoming surgery. Unfortunately we are not medically trained so we cannot say how your upcoming surgery will affect you, you will need to discuss this with your surgeon alongside your care needs after surgery. I would encourage you to make a list of these questions, so that you make sure you get then answered before your surgery so that you can make an informed choice.

You may find it useful to read our booklet Surgery and Arthritis, which details what to consider before and after surgery:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/SurgerybookletApril10.pdf

Best Wishes
    Adele
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thankyou adele for your reply and the link you gave me to look at.
    I am going to see the rhummy dr on friday and I have made a list of similar questions I asked you.
    She may beable to give a little advice as she may have seen someone who has had this type of op. (fingers crossed)
    Then as you have said I will have to ask the surgeon next time i see him.
    Thankyou again for your help
    Julie