help please i'm down to have a triple fusion

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,898
edited 3. Feb 2011, 15:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
and i'm having my big toe srraightend and my foot will be in plaster for 3 months what i want to know is how long cant i put my foot on the ground i did ask the consultant she said a while she told me i could use a wheelchair i cannot stand on one leg so i'm not sure about the op.
i have arther in every bone in my foot and was told it could not get any worse thats why triple fusion i dont have a lot of pain at the moment just swelling,
i'm sorry to go on but i dont know what to do.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You'll be fine Joan, promise you :smile:

I've just had my right forefoot sorted. I've now got permanent "jewels" of two titanium screws and three staples :grin:

I was told to keep my foot up for 8 weeks, obviously not as long as your three months and the instructions are totally apposite to hip and knee surgery where you're told to exercise, exercise! However this certainly wasn't written in stone and I shuffled about as and when to no detriment.

I did as I was told and joy of joys all being well with the pre-op assessment I'll be having my other foot sorted on the 16th Feb.

There is a marvellous aid called a K9 (yep, named after the movie robot) and it may well be that the surgeon puts you in one of those. With the K9 a patient is able to shimmy about a fair bit.

Go for it :smile: I've already posted today about my friend who has gout and I've another "bestest friend" (she has chronic myeloid leukaemia, so it's quite a thing for her to have an op) Three weeks post op with pins through every toe she's as happy as larry :grin:

Perhaps I should add that these are not recently acquired friends so I know their "history" as it were. Makes me feel very old that I've known each of them for 45 years plus, lol

Wishing you all the best xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Joan

I cannot say if you should have the operation or not but I had a quick look on the net and this is what I found out:

• Non weightbearing on crutches six weeks
    • Further six weeks in cast or moonboot
    • Ten months for full recovery

Could you not ask the consultant to be more specific on how long you would be "immobile" for as this is important for you to know.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello dachshund, ooooooh that is a poser, isn't it? I think the benefits of the procedure will be worth it, but it's the bit in-between which understandably worrying. I think the best thing for you to do would be to contact the surgeon's secretary and see if there is anyone who could have a chat with you about it all. I am sure that you would be able to put your foot on the ground sooner than the three months - that might well be the plaster time, but it cannot mean three months without having the foot on the floor, no-one could do that! I don't know how much your other condition complicates matters either - so my advice is contact your surgeon, or his secretary and see if they can give you some more information, I think you need some clarification about this. Try not to worry too much, Joan, it is all meant to help and I am sure it will, it just hasn't been explained too well, that's my thinking anyway. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Joan, no advice but wanted to wish you all the best with things... I hope that the op will be a big help for you..

We're all here awaiting pocket duties as per usual.. :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dachshund
    Hi Cherrybim Elna DD Tony.
    i was told i could cancel when i go for the pre check.
    thank you for replying.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Don't think too much about that - see what you can find out first, I am sure that once you know a little more about the aftermath, as it were, then you can decide what you want to do. I reckon it is possible, dachshund, I am sure that you would be able to cope, but talk to those in the know first - would your GP help you to contact them, or do you have their numbers already? DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Joan

Oh poor you :sad:

Now serioulsy he thinks you need it done? You have a scooter dont you? so you can get about while you are healing.

If it doesn't get put right will it get worse and then you can't walk at all? This is my worry especially with the recent falls. Did the doc give you any alternatives?

I take it Sue went with you? If so does she have an opinion?

Mine is to not panic (though i know I would be!!) as there is plenty of time for you to decide.

Love

Toni xxx
  • dachshund
    Hi DD Toni.
    the doc said my foot could not get any worse.
    i'm worried about going to the little room and getting into bed
    i cannot walk with crutches holding 1 foot up.
    i can use a wheelchair.
    i have to have my big toe done as it go's side ways.
    i do not want to fall over any more.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Joan
    I can hear the panic in your voice.....this is how I would be so you are not on your own....it takes a little time to take in ..
    Its good of cherrybim to take the time to tell you how she fared.
    Im with Toni...I think if you dont have it done it may well get worse...like my hips have.
    You certainly need more information, so I would take Sue or someone else with you, and ask all the questions you want, it is natural to be scared of not being mobile, that is my biggest fear, not the op.
    We will all support you with whatever you decide,
    Love and hugs (((((()))))
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Thank you Barbara.
    i hope you are not in too much pain with your hips.
    my leg is slowly getting better i cannot put all the weight on it yet to be able to walk with out the frame.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Joan.

I am down for a triple fusion too but am unsure of the recovery period. I have been told 3 months by peeps on here.That is no weight bearing for 12 weeks and I barely manage a half hour in this house!

All the best Joan. It is meant to help with the dreadful pain so in the end it should be worth it,
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    Thank you Elizabeth.
    when are you due to have the op mine's april
    i have not got much pain just the swelling.
    i hope you are not in too much pain i will be thinking about you and i wish you all the best.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello again Joan
    I was thinking even thoe you are not in to much pain, maybe your foot was the reason you fell, you could be walking differently to protect your foot,
    Dont forget we are here when you need to talk or ask any questions.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    As usual frogmorton hits the spot. You will be able to get about etc but I can see why the lack of weight -bearing ability would worry you. Of course you are concerned about 'arrangements' etc but there are ways around those matters, dachshund. I think you have to think of the long-term here, you need that foot sorted out because if it isn't then life could get much more complicated than it is now. Don't rush into any decisions, perhaps go with Sue to see your GP - even better, get him/her to come and see you! DD
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Joan

So sorry this is all such a worry for you. I can't really offer any advise other than what others have said. Do try to speak to your GP or Consultant and get your questions answered personally. Hopefully they will be able to make it all sound a little less scary and explain the choices in more detail. Let us know what you decide.
    love to you and Sue. (((( ))))
    Chris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joan,

Oh flower what a choice you have there. On the one hand you might have less pain and it s often successful but on the other its a long haul recovery. I think a good talk through with your consultant might be useful if its possible to have that?

I had the toes on my left foot fused up years back. they removed the joints and then the wires and yep that took a while but the wires came out after 8 weeks and I think I was walking again with out crutches a couple of weeks after. Its a lesser op i think? Joan I was also 24 you heal up so much better then.

One didn't fuse but the others they have been kind to me, bar circulation, ever since. Its not the same Joan but it so helped and that's what you got to try and balance. How much you need it v/s how long the recovery is.

I wish i could help you to decide flower but will be there for you wither way.

Hope Sue is doing ok and love to you both. Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Joan

there are solutions to using teh little room and anything yo are worried about like that. I think you should tell your GP with Sue there and then ask if you could maybe see an OT for some bits and peices temporarily round the house for the time when you can't walk. You will be able to stand for short periods on ethe one foot I should think so I reckon you could just about manage.

So very reassuring that Elizabeth is going thorugh teh same procedure and also that Cris had similar many many many (Joke cris!!) years ago and hasn't really looked back.

Do keep us up to date on this one Joan. You are very often on here supporting others - we can help you now for a while eh?

Love

toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    dachshund wrote:
    Thank you Elizabeth.
    when are you due to have the op mine's april
    i have not got much pain just the swelling.
    i hope you are not in too much pain i will be thinking about you and i wish you all the best.
    joan xx

No date yet. I am holding out as long as I can. The pain can be just a little to not being able to walk on it at all on the same day. I do find I need to rest it a lot.
    There are a few of us going for ankle fusions and I hope we can help and advise each other through the days/months ahead.

All the best to you too Joan,

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    Hi Toni Elizabeth Barbara Cris Chris.
    thank you for your help.
    i'm still in pain from my fall iannot put all the weight on my foot yet because of pain in my groin its alright walking with the
    frame for a while i keep stretching the muscles and that helps
    with the weatbag.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    You have a lot on your plate at the moment dachshund, so let's take one thing at a time, yes? I hope the groin sorts itself out and soon - I reckon you've pulled summat there but remember I am not a doc! :smile: Keep on with the wheat bags and the gentle stretches, I hope that eases soon and then tackle the research on the fusion. It is a very big decision and you will need a very clear head to sort it all out in your mind. Start listing the pros and cons, perhaps, as soon as everything else is feeling better. DD
  • dachshund
    Hi DD.
    I think i need my big toe done.the doc said if the fusion did not work i could have a total ankle replacement but i dont have a lot of pain in my foot.
    how are you i hope you have not got too much pain.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Not having a lot of pain is very defintely a good thing! If it were me I would have the toe done, big toes are vital for walking and walking well, and that could ease the strain on the ankle. I am fully aware of the physical problems this will cause you for a while but the long-term benefit is quite something. It is a big decision Joan, I realise that, adn I have no doubt it's all wandering round your mind, in little circles, then slightly bigger circles, then little ones again.

As for me, things could be a damn sight better but I am pleased they are not worse. :smile: Thank you for asking, you are very kind to think of me when you are under the cosh, so to speak. (but then you are a very kind lady, we all know that!) DD
  • dachshund
    Hi DD
    you are a very helpfull lady and i know when i have a reply from you it will be a thoughtfull one.
    everyone on here understands about pain because they have it.
    thank you. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Joan,
    There is not much I can add to what others have said. I am sorry that you have all the stress and worry of it.
    Gather all the information you can, write down all your concerns.

Gentle hugs,
    Lv, Ix
  • dachshund
    Thank you Ironic.
    its a lot to think about it takes time to get it all straight in my mind.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx