Now my left shoulder has started to disintegrate

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 27. Apr 2011, 12:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got up yesterday, and as my left shoulder left the pillow, I let out a scream in pain, and heard the joint disintegrate.
Now, it had felt a bit iffy for 4 days or so, but I put it down to a big flare up, but when you actualy hear the joint clicking, and grinding, you know you are in trouble.
I had the right shoulder replaced 3 years ago, with the same problem, I think I'll give it another 5 days, then see what happens. If it settles down a bit fair enough, otherwise, it could be another phone call to the surgeon's secretary. Alanthemanc

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That does sound horrible..

I suffer with my shoulders so i know how painful it can be.. not sure i can understand the pain when it pops... that must be awful..
    Don't leave it too long if your suffering..
    Hope you get some comfort soon..
    Take care
    Tracy
    xxxxx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    oooh that did sound painful. Hope it eases for you.
    take care
    juliepf :smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, Alan, not more trouble. I am not sure whether you are wise to wait or not - if this is familiar ground then perhaps help should be sought sooner rather than later? I cannot really advise as mine are relatively unaffected (they only hurt when I flare). Yes, things may settle, but what is the level of the damage? Perhaps an Xray would be a good idea but as I say, I don't really know. Take care, coddle your shoulder as much as you can - perhaps keep out of Carlos for a while and certainly don't go dragging busted gas fires around! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    D.D.
    When the surgeon did the right shoulder, he x rayed the left as well, and told me it was nearly as bad, so I knew I would be in trouble sooner or later. Shoulders are the worst of the lot, because at night there is no respite from the pain. The last time I was walking the streets at 4 am in the morning just to take my mind off the pain. I'll see what this week brings. Tracy, thanks for your concern, Alanthemanc
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi alan :sad:

I am so very sorry to hear this.

I do hope it goes off, maybe it will, but if not I hope you can get it replaced as soon as possible :shock:

Thinking of you

Love

Toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Alan,
    I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through this very worrying time.
    I do hope that it eases off for you over the next couple of days.

Difficult one for you to decide about but being woken up in pain does drain you. Hopefully if it is what you think it is the procedure will have improved and a better pain control programme put in place. Fingers crossed for you.
    Take care,
    Lv, Ix
  • alanthemanc
    Ironic
    Thanks for that...... if this thread is still on by Friday, I will let you know the state of play. Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Your thread won't be going anywhere alan - if it's sunk you can resurrect it, it will probably only be on page 2! Obviously the surgeon is aware of it so mebbe get it fixed asap? I know it's a pain (literally) but get in before the cuts begin to bite, perhaps? DD
  • alanthemanc
    D.D.
    I seem to be having a masssive flare up, I can tell because even my elbows are grinding. I will take an extra Steroid tonight, it has worked for me in the past. I will leave it until Thursday to make the phone call, who knows I might improve a bit because I have in the past, after a 48 hr flare up. It does seem strange after one of those flares where 48 hrs after, you can be almost " back to normal", will keep you posted . Alanthemanc.
  • dreamdaisy
    I missed your reply Alan, I do apologise. I hope that it does all settle as quickly as you hope, that would be good, yes? I expect the steroid has made a difference, they always do which is why I am coming off them - who the hell wants to take meds that actaully improve something? I have been playing this game long enough now to realise that that is SOOOOOO not the point! :grin: Take care and do let me know how it goes. I will keep a better eye open, I promise! DD
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Alan,
    Yes please let us know how you get on. I do hope the extra meds are doing some good, and your flare settles down soon.
    Thinking of you,
    Lv, Ix
  • dreamdaisy
    It's been a couple of days now, Alan, how are things? DD
  • alanthemanc
    Delboy
    D.D.
    Shoulder not as bad when I'm walking around, doing everyday things. At night though is a different proposition. I took an extra Streroid at midnight on Tuesday, it seemed to work for Wednesday, although I don't like too many Steroids because you are just masking the problem.
    In general, I have had a bad 10 days or so, I feel awful, and was up at 4.am this morning, so I am not out of the woods just yet. Alanthemanc.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Thinking of you Alan

l do hope the shoulder lets you sleep tonight.

Take the steroids if you have - it's only short-term hopefully :smile:

Love

Toni xx
  • alanthemanc
    Frog
    Thanks for that, nice to have some support. This has been the fortnight fron hell. Alanthemanc
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Hi Alan.

I've just read your post about shoulder replacements and am sorry to read that your shoulder has become painful again.

I went to see a shoulder surgeon yesterday and I honestly thought that I had a frozen shoulder or something like that but no, I need it replacing. I was really shocked to hear that I needed a replacement as it had come on so fast and as you say in your post, it could be a flare. I was wondering if your shoulder suddenly started to hurt more than usual and did you seem to suddenly lose movement overnight as I have. I can’t wash or dress myself and am having trouble with my personal care and feeding myself, all this happened within a few days whereas my other joints I’ve had replaced seem to gradually deteriorate.

I was also wondering about the operation itself, in terms of success and what the recovery was like?

Hope you get some relief from the shoulder soon.

Sally.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hi Alan,

I've been hunting for ages for this post!! How is your shoulder? I've brought this thread up again because I'm needing your advice. for over 10yrs I've been getting pain in my shoulders and was prescribed amitryptilline to help with sleeping. It was put down to sero-neg arthritis. Years have went on and now both my shoulders are really causing me alot of problems. Right one is the worst and now they say it's the fibro but my shoulder really clicks, cluncks and it's crunching. I can feel it all irregular around the joint when I put my arm up and down. Drs won't xray it. One says it's just OA and the other dr says it's just the fibro. I'm at my wits end with this. Just wondered if this sounded similar to your problems?
    Thanks,
    Magenta x