pre employment health questionnaire

malsi
malsi Member Posts: 5
I have recently got a Job offer. With the job offer they have given me a pre employment health questionnaire. There are lots of quetions in it and one of the question is regarding Bone, Muscle Joint conditions. It is mainly the desk job. My question is:
- Can the employer revoke the job offer if I declare RA?

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I am not too sure, but if you completed their application form for the position, was interviewed and was selected for the position on the basis that you were the best candidate for the job then I think that it would be difficult for them to revoke on the basis of you declaring a health condition.

Does the letter offering you the position and the health questionnaire say anything about information that you provide (or fail to provide) could lead to withdrawal or disciplinary action leading to dismissal.

I think that they will have selected you for interview and offered you the position based on your qualifications, experience and your interview performance, to withdraw now could be seen as discriminatory under disability law.
    Cath
  • malsi
    Thanks Cath,

The offer letter says "The offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory employment screening, including reference
    s and your proven ability to work lawfully in UK". They have given a Medical questionnaire and a link for Back Ground checks. The Medical questionnaire states "The purpose of this questionnaire is to determine whether you are medically fit for the job for which you have applied and to advise your prospective employer of any health - related needs you may have while at work." I am just worried that if I declare the RA they may advice the employer that he is not medically fit.

One good thing though, In last one year I have not taken any sick leave so I am thinking that it may be difficult to prove that I am not fit.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I always think with these things that honesty is the best policy. If you don't admit it, then your health goes thro a bad patch and you have to 'own up' they may wonder about your general veracity, which is never a good thing. Be honest, it should not affect your worthiness for the job and if you have a good health record to date then they have no grounds on which to deny you the chance. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • caterina57
    Yes, you need to declare any diagnosis you have. If you do not it could be said that you have decieved your employer and although you have a good sickness record now, you may require their support in the future. Any decent employer will have robust policies and procedures for assisting disabled workers and may be able to ensure that you have suitable equipment etc through undertaking an occupational health assessment.
  • malsi
    would the revoking of offer after my decleration be classified as descrimination?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't know, you need to consult something like the CAB for an answer to that one. You don't know that they will revoke any offer tho, do you? You may still be pleasantly surprised. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • caterina57
    I agree with DD You might well be surprised, but I do think that it is important that you declare it on the form, Hopefully they will want you and your disability. I take it that your doctors feel that you are fit to work are you currently working and just changing jobs?
    Hope that it all goes well, let us know what happens.
    Cath
  • malsi
    I am already working with them on the contract basis for quite sometimes but now want to join them on permanent position. As such my line manager is happy with the performance but it is the HR which may cause issue...fingers crossed.
  • phill
    phill Member Posts: 8
    I dont really know but I would err on the side of caution, if you do not disclose it and then need to take time off because of it how are you going to explain being economical with facts to your new employer, also how will they be able to trust what you say in the future if you are willing to at best edit out unflattering parts.

I know its probably not what you wanted to hear (or read) but in the absence of any formal advice I would say tell the whole truth so it can not come back and bite you on the bum.

Phill.