another kick in the teeth.

Options
seamonkey
seamonkey Member Posts: 323
Hi, just to say I went in for a days supply work at a school yesterday. I had been asked to go in all week but lady who i had replaced was able to come back early. I went to work crutch in hand and thought the day had gone really well. I was shattered and in a lot of pain but i had managed to do the work. The manager then said that they would have to think very carefully before asking me back for more supply work due to insurance reasons!! Incase they ask me to do something which i shouldnt be doing and i su them. Ive worked on and off for 2 years for them and have even done long stints. Supply contract states that they are under no obligation to offer me work and i am under no obligation to take work that is offered so they dont have to offer me any but i so angry that they get out of it so easily! Im still me, i still have a strong work ethic and want to pull my weight. :cry: Seamonkey

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear seamonkey
    I am so sorry that you have experienced this, which to my mind screams discrimination. I hope that you are able to find work soon, are you registered with more than one agency if you are not I suggest you sign up with others to gain maximum opportunities. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and I am sure that something will come soon
    Cath
  • seamonkey
    Options
    Thanks cath,
    It was with the local council and in any school within that council area. Im in a small place and no agencies here. Ive got 3 hrs evening work on a fri night which is caring privately but i really need something in the day. Kids away at school and ive had to give up childminding. Im at such a lose end. We really need my income as it lets us have a better standard of life, I used to hate telling kids they couldnt have stuff all the time and were back to it. I was hopefull of getting a contract at the school untill summer but wont happen now. Life sucks big time! :x
    Something positive must be going to happen soon,
    Seamonkey
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Of course something positive will happen soon. Have you discussed the health and safety issue with the manager, perhaps you could approach her and ask for a risk assessment, it may alleviate their fears if you can have something on paper that actually says that you do not present a risk within the workplace. I am not too sure what health and safety risk they are talking about is it because of the crutch.
    Perhaps it might be worth also talking to Access to Work.

Cath
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Seamonkey,
    What a blow! it's bad enough coping with arfur and all that entails without employers using it as an excuse to avoid treating people properly. I am thinking of you, I'm in pain with a very swollen knee thanks to arfur at moment but it's my last wk of notice from giving up childminding and I've no idea what I'll do, so I really sympathise, you found something you could do and it gets snatched away, it's all so unfair. Hang in there, something will turn up, thinking of you Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Seamonkey

I can't add to the advise but am sorry to see this. You do have my sympathy and I hope you do find something that suits soon and is more permanent. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Chris
  • seamonkey
    Options
    Thanks every one,
    Helps knowing there is folk who can see what a blow this is. Im feeling totally worthless, work wise family wise as i cant contribute financially and totally alone. Im sick of comments folk make when i do go out that im not bothering anymore, I feel trapped at home and with no hope of things being any different in the future. Does any one have any ideas on what i could do with arthritis in my back? I will retrain and go to college if needed.
    Seamonkey