Blood blisters in mouth and throat, anybody else??

suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 1. Mar 2011, 09:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, have just had a cold and have started sulfalasine. Have got blood blisters in the roof of my mouth and throat, have had it before. I had to increase steroids but don't want to bother my rheumy again.

Wondered if anyone else experienced this with their arthritis, and if they had any tips, it is very uncomfortable.

Any ideas why either?? I am slightly concerned it has happened again.

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Suzygirl,
    I often get bad mouth ulcers, I'm on Sulfa and Meth but think it's more meth related as it seems to be worse 2 or 3 days after taking it.
    I would give your Rheumy a call, or do you have a Rheumy nurse? Please don't think you are bothering them, as mine says to me "if I don't know about any problems I cannot help". In my case they increased my folic acid which helps, have you tried a mild salt water mouthwash? just add a sprinkling of salt to cooled boiled water to gargle that sometimes helps me, but I'm not medically trained and I do think you should contact them or your GP for advice. Hope you feel better soon all the best Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Suzy,

Sorry you have this one flower.

I had big problems with sulfa and had to come off it and yep the ulcers and the continuous cold were part of the reaction so maybe you should run it past your gp? Its possible that you need to adjust the dose till they have healed up.

Hope it will soon sort out for you. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Suzygirls

Take some advice tomorrow I think that woudl be wise. Blood blisters? I am aware that mouthulcers are a common side effect, but still you should check it out.

Love

toni xx
  • suzygirl
    Thanks guys, for your advice. I think I may give gp a call tomorrow. Hope it doesnt signal yet another flare, my joints are on fire today. So painful.
  • frogmorton
    You ok today suzygirls?? did you get your GP??

Love

toni xx
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Toni, I did pop to the gp today. She said the blood blisters were part of my systemic illness and needed to be mentioned to the rheumy, who I am seeing in a couple of weeks.

I mentioned my trouble swallowing at the bottom of my throat, which I assumed was the same. It appears not, I also have oral thrush!! :shock: :eek: Apparently it is common in diabetics, stupid diabetes. She also wants me to have my bloods checked asap????

I fobbed her off as I am having my bloods done later in the week for the rheumy, and didn't want to go twice. I have to get the rheumy to check my throat when I go as well.

How are you?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Suzy
    Sorry I am late, I dont know anything about these meds, but I do remember reading that others have these blisters and ulcers...I hope they clear up very soon, I know they can be so painful.
    Hopefully your rheumy can help.
    Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Hi Suzigirl

I have suffered with blood blisters in my mouth for some years due to sulfasalazine and methotrixate. I have been advised by my Rheumy to up the dose of folic acid that I take to 5 times a week. This helps with the ulcers as well. I have not had a blood blister since and only an occasional ulcer in my mouth.
    Hope this helps.

Jo :smile:
  • frogmorton
    Hi Suzy

Thanks for letting us know.

Did the doc give you anything for the thrush then? I hope so and I agree that diabetes is an extra thing you just don't need. :x

I would also let the rheumy check for the other bits too....l have an aversion to needles!!

Love

toni xx