Has anyone done self-management training?

Options
knitternsk8rgirl
knitternsk8rgirl Member Posts: 18
edited 2. Mar 2011, 12:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I'm interested in doing the self-management training that my local branch has made me aware of - has anyone else done it, and if so what did you think of it? What do you actually do/learn? And did you find it useful?

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I did the 'Challenging Arthritis' course in my local area about 7 years ago and it was very helpful indeed.

FIrstly it was good to meet up with others in similar positions to me (my group was lucky to have a spread of ages within it) and be able to share the frustrations and the coping skills that we'd already got.

Secondly, we learned lots of ways to help ourselves, such as learning how to understand our condition better, breathing and relaxation techniques, adapting ways of doing things to protect our joints, and where to go to access further information and advice.

I came away from the 6 weeks with a much better understanding of my condition, how I currently coped with it, and ways that I could try to improve things for myself. Also got quite a few ideas for how to broach the subject of my arthritis with my family and friends (never easy that one is it? :roll: )

hope that gives you some ideas.

If you're interested you could ring the people doing the course and ask them for info before-had - that's what I did and it really did help me not to worry before the first session

wonky
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I really want to do one - AC is running one in the next county to mine quite soon so I am going to contact them to see if I can sneak in if there is enough room. Any strategies and info would be welcome as far as I am concerned. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knitternsk8rgirl
    knitternsk8rgirl Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for replying and I'm glad it worked for you. I've filled in the e-form on the website just now and I'm hoping there's a course soon in my area soon.