Clicky and confused

wannabewriter
wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
edited 31. Mar 2011, 07:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I haven't been diagnosed yet but I wondered if someone could give me their thoughts.

I have suspected RA (really swollen hands, knees, shoulders hurt to touch, wrists etc) and am waiting on blood tests. It's got really bad the last two weeks, and has definitely become worse over the past few days.

What I found strange is that my joints seem to be clicking a LOT - every time I move my wrist, or ankle, for example, I can feel the bones grinding or popping, sometimes you can hear it too.

I've not had joints do this before and wondered if it was something other people experienced?

Thanks for your help :-)

Comments

• keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello & welcome!

Best of luck with the diagnosis.

I too have clicky joints, finger, elbow & knee in particular.

Not sure if it's good or bad mind you!

:roll:
    315yexv.jpg
  • wannabewriter
    Hi Keith

Thanks for the wishes. The doc was pretty sure it was some form of inflammatory arthritis even though I'm quite young, but said it could also be some RA some OA and I'd have to wait for my tests to come back.

The clicking is really distracting! When I walk, it sounds like I'm wearing high heels when actually it's just me knees going 'click clack click clack' lol.

Hope you're having a good day today

x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Best of luck with getting a diagnosis, hopefully some form of treatment will follow too..
    I have both Sero-Negative & Osteo Arthur, my joints clunk click every trip.. Lol
    I sometimes sound like a human beatbox or whatever they are called, my bones make all sorts of noises.. :grin::lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Arthur...

Hope that you are not suffering too much today :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Hey......

I have a form of inflammatory arthritis myself, psoriatic arthritis but it's pretty identical to rheumatoid.

I was diagnosed pretty quickly but didn't really take it seriously at the time (last May) but went for a 2nd opinion early this month because the pains & aches spread. I'm now 3rd week into taking Sulfazine - no improvements as yet but these things take time I'm told (if they work at all!).

Hopefully your diagnosis comes through quickly & you can find something to help......though I imagine the clicky joints shall remain!

:lol:

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi wannabe
    and welcome to the forum. Just want to say I hope you get the diagnosis soon and that you are put on the meds that will help your condition.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • wannabewriter
    Hi

Thanks for your lovely posts!

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how long ago it all started - I've always had 'dodgy knees' which were passed off as 'growing pains' when I was a teenager and then a 'weight issue' as I've always been lardy - which, granted, can't help - and my neck has given me trouble the past couple of years which is put down to 'stress'.

These and pretty much all my other joints click and/or swell now, so I wonder if it's related?

x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi wannabe
    And a very warm welcome to this lovely forum, you will get lots of support and answers.
    I have OA, but my wrist clicks,and my knees, like you say we do wonder when it all started, I was diagnosed 2 years ago, but thinking back to being very young I had lots of rheumatics...it does make you think
    Good luck with the bloods, and dont worry if they are positive I have had this, so they do them again.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Hey wannabe,

Just wanted to say i've had PA (similar to RA) for at least ten years and i am very clicky! Its funny because it wasnt until i read your post that i realised i dont even hear my clicks any more - had to lift my shoulder up and move my wrists about to check for clicks :grin:

Always much easier once you actually have a diagnosis - but your body will tell you how far too push it and what it wants to do, you do get used to the little tell tale signs.

your growing pains could have been related - but there is a possibility you may never know. And bless you! never heard anyone describe themselves as 'lardy' :grin:
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Wannabe

Good to meet you :grin:

The clicking l was told was called something like crepitus...

You can get it with OA and the inflamatory sort. Although mine only started with the inflamatory.

Who was it who said their career as a cat burglar was cut short prematurely by it? :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Hi Wannabe,

I too have clicky joints, I have Gouty Arthur, Psoriatic Arthur and Osteoarthur, my knees, hips, fingers, elbows and jaw click mainly. It can be painful and annoying!!!

Unfortunatly its the joy of being close buddies with Arthur..

Mark
  • Rictina
    Rictina Member Posts: 95
    I have a clicking knee & hip, its embarrassing as people look at me pittyfully but it doesnt actually hurt me.

I hope you get your meds sorted out ASAP as I know how it can make such a big difference to you day to day living.

Take care sweetie. :smile:
    Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there,

I have clicky hip and knee and at times it has happened in my lower back,
    don't we all make a right bunch, could start up an orchestra between us all. :lol:

I do hope that you get your diagnosis soon, then you can get the old meds sorted out.

Keep us informed wont you.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • wannabewriter
    THank you all for taking the time to reply!

I like the idea of a clicky orchestra, that made me chuckle :lol:

Not so bad today, but did crick my neck so loudly on the train this morning I got very strange (and worried, bless em) looks from other passengers...

Hope you're all having a good and click-free (ish) day!

x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Wannabe

Glad to see you!

Still clicking, but ignoring it :wink: Don't you be frightening members of the public :lol:

Love

Toni xx