Blood Tests

JoBee28
JoBee28 Member Posts: 4
I am a 40year old female. I have had a swollen left foot and ankle (pitting edema) for 12 weeks which was a little painful to begin with but I have been pain free for 6 weeks. I had blood tests done Rheumatoid factor >200 Alt>00 plasma viscosity 2.18 Sed 70 IgG positive. I have seen I rheumatologist and there does not appear to be any swelling within my joints so she thought I might be a liver problem. I have had a liver scan which showed that I have a normal liver. I wll be having an MRI done of my foot in a few weeks time. Could I have RA? My liver enzymes have been high for over a month the only medication I take is thyroxine I am not a heavy drinker I have completely stopped whilst my enzymes are high. Also now that I know that my liver is ok would it be save to drink alchol or do I have to wait for my liver enzymes to go down?
My mum had chronic RA

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello JoBee and welcome to the forum.

I am a forum member and not one of the helpline team but I saw your message and thought I would reply to let you know that the helpline is closed over the weekend (until Tuesday I think) but someone from the helpline will respond when they re-open.

As to whether you have RA or not - RA can be very tricky to diagnose. It's good that you have been referred to a rheumatologist and it sounds as if he is doing the right things by sending you for an MRI scan to see what's going on with your foot and ankle. I guess that, once the results of the MRI are back the rheumatologist will see you again and perhaps have a better understanding of what's going on.

It must be a relief to know that all is fine with your liver now and, in terms of whether it is ok to drink again, I would advise you to check with your GP.

Given that the helpline is closed at the moment, you might like to post your message again on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum because most of us look there and I am sure you will get some more replies.

Good luck with it all.

Love Tilly xxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi JoBee

As Tillytop said, glad to hear your Liver is ok and the ankle is less painfull. To be frank it is not possible for us to say whether or not you could have RA. Blood tests are a complicated thing and nothing is black and white. It is probably a good thing that you have cut out the alcohol for a while as it seems your body has enough to cope with at the moment and alcohol just adds to the list of things the body has to process or fight the effects of.

Does your Rheumatologist know your mother has RA? If not, it would be a good idea to make sure they know that it is in the family. If you would like to give us a call to discuss things further please ring the freephone above. Try not to worry and remember we are here and as Tillytop said you will also find a lot of support on the Living with Arthritis forum.

Best wishes

Simona