tips for 5yr old with arthritic fingers

tegan1108
tegan1108 Member Posts: 4
edited 25. Apr 2011, 14:54 in My child has arthritis
hi, my daughter has finally been diagnosed with arthritis in her fingers - she is left handed and the most obvious joint affected is the index finger of left hand. she has had a steroid inj which didnt work. waiting for another at bristol childrens hospital soon hopefully, if this doesnt work then on to methotrexate we have been told. my most pressing problem is what could make it easier for her when at school and her fingers flare. anyone have advice on finger splints or pencil grips, shape size etc. do they help at all??
my daughter is 5 yrs old and in year one at school. any advice from a concerned mum would be really appreciated.
many thanks
hayles

Comments

• stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there,
    Sorry to bear about the problems!
    I'm 18 & was diagnosed with JIA when I was 4 in all of my joints.
    When I was at school, my mum bough me a pencil which instead of being round, was triangle shaped like the handwriting pens. That helped for a while but after things got worse, my school let me use the computer for my work. Primary schools are normally really good with helping students. I suggest you talk to the teachers and the principle to see what arrangements could be made.
    Good luck & I hope things settle soon.
    Steph x
  • tegan1108
    hi steph.
    thanks for the reply. as a mum it is helpful to know that she is not alone. it is hard to sympathise when she is in pain as i cant feel it. thanks for the advice. i will try to have a look for triangular shaped pencils for her.
    she is only on painkillers at the moment. how is it for you currently?
  • janeb
    janeb Member Posts: 18
    Hi my four year old daughter has arthritis in her index finger and third finger as well , I know what you are going through some days are terrible when you cant help them. I bought triangular pens in morrisons and pencils with spongy grips in tesco they are both much easier to use than standard ones. Hope this helps.
    Janebx
  • tegan1108
    hi,
    thanks for your reply. it is good to know that there is someone else out there who knows what it is like to watch this and not really know how to help. thanks for your tips - i will go looking at both those shops. tegan has had this problem for a while but the drs have just decided in the last couple of months what it is. it is frustrating sometimes having to wait to get help but she is by no means as bad as what some children have to contend with.
  • stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    I'm really good at the moment thanks :)
    There are sayings that Arthrtitis can grow out of kids when they hit puberty. I was off all if my medication when I was 11. I had no visible symptoms and wasn't experiencing pain. Even before they took me off the methotrexate when I was younger I was still doing good. I was remission when I was about 11 until I was 14, I had a fall and it started all the inflammation again! At the moment I'm on Methotrexate and luckily i don't experience any side effects. As I was on it when I was young my parents were happy with me taking it again & are very supportive of the decisions I make myself now about medication and hospital appointments. The only problem I have at the moment is my shoulder (I have tendonitis) and my knee which I think was damaged by the fall but other then that I'm great! I am going to Uni in September and am very greatful and appreciative of the support from my parents. You may not see it now but your little girl will understand as she gets older and appreciate everything you've done. I know it's very hard as you feel helpless to her pain but just being there for her is more helpful then you think.
    Take care :)
    Any questions, please ask!
    X