DLA experiences ??

goonerkatie
goonerkatie Member Posts: 16
edited 1. May 2011, 19:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am newly diagnosed with arthritis, 43 years old and in full-time employment as a Scheme Manger for a Mental Health Scheme. I have worked with the DLA process for a number of years because of my client group, however this is a new domain for me personally

There are lots of changes I now need to make in my life to learn to live with this condition !! I may have to consider my job as I have had serious bouts of illness. This last phase has led me to be off sick for 6 weeks !!! which as a manger is not a good thing at all

I would be grateful if people could let me know of the kind of success/failures they have had with their condition and DLA. I have never claimed anything in my adult life, but I am now thinking that maybe yes I should be considered for DLA

Thank you so much

Katie XX

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katie,

I am sorry your having trouble with the job and the bone thing and hope that your bosses are understanding? As the manager it hard to have time out as well.

The DLA thing is a lottery I think. Some get it and some don;t and have to appeal and then they do get it. I think doctors consultants letter help a lot with a claim but I am sure a lot of the application don;t get read at all and well go for it and with luck you might get it.

Fill your form in as if you were doing it for someone eles and take your worst day=at as well and you do need back up reports from the gp and doctor. My gp was asked to fill in form as well. thankfully she did and she got it right but I have seen her a few times and maybe that helped? Good luck if you go for it and nice to meet you.Cris x
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Katie,
    I agree with cris it is very hit and miss.
    Get as many letters as you can from proffesionals that you see, physio, gp, consultant, OT any they will alsways ask you consultant so if you can include a letter it may speed things up a bit.

Good luck

Tracey
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hiya Katie

You know i think youre better equipped than lots of people on how to fill in DLA applications. As youve said you have done it as part of your job regularly. Its like others say tell it as its your worst day, maybe if youre like me, it feels slightly not right but its the way to do it.
    Be interested to know if you are successful in your claim and I wish you all the very best...

Elainex
    Hi I am newly diagnosed with arthritis, 43 years old and in full-time employment as a Scheme Manger for a Mental Health Scheme. I have worked with the DLA process for a number of years because of my client group, however this is a new domain for me personally

There are lots of changes I now need to make in my life to learn to live with this condition !! I may have to consider my job as I have had serious bouts of illness. This last phase has led me to be off sick for 6 weeks !!! which as a manger is not a good thing at all

I would be grateful if people could let me know of the kind of success/failures they have had with their condition and DLA. I have never claimed anything in my adult life, but I am now thinking that maybe yes I should be considered for DLA

Thank you so much

Katie XX
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Apart from filling in the form and telling them about me and arther and not really knowing what the administrators want, I have only positive things to say about DLA, the real bugbear is affording fuel.

As others say, it's difficult to accept a benefit, especially when you have always worked and provided for yourself and family, our image of ourselves and our ethos doesn't sit neatly with dla, I'm not sure I like the feeling that we could be checked on, something that will happen to all of us.
  • flutterbye
    flutterbye Member Posts: 22
    Hi Katie
    I am new to this forum, this is my first post.....so please bear with me :smile:
    I have received DLA since applying for it two years ago....I should have applied long before that but hated the whole idea of receiving money because I was ill, but the person at the disable shop encouraged me to apply one day I had gone in to hire a scooter. She even came to my house and helped me to fill in the form. She said that there are people trained to fill in these forms and usually you can get help at the Citizens Advice Bureau. She also told me that some of these questions are 'trick' questions and that is where lots of people fall down.....she didn't tell me which ones they were though! I went on to claim DLA and received the Highest award for Mobility but only the lowest for care which I didn't agree with but was just happy to get the help I was getting so did nothing about it. My husband is my unpaid carer and he does sooooo much for me without complaining bless him!
    While we were filling in the form, this lady kept saying that I needed to answer the questions as though it was a really bad day I was having because they didn't want to know how good I could manage on the odd good day!
    Good luck with your form filling!
  • goonerkatie
    goonerkatie Member Posts: 16
    Thanks so much for your informative reply. I think I will complete it and give it a go. I think really it is a case of 'suck it and see'. I do have extensive knowledge around completing the form but it is very very different when it concerns me :-) !!!
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Katie
    I would certainly go for it and see how the land lies. I won't go into great detail, as I have posted many times about the dear DLA. Make sure you keep copies of letters, Dr's letters, etc. Wishing you good luck, hope they see sense and award what is due. XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).