Tips for getting around on holiday?

Options
skinnylizzie
skinnylizzie Member Posts: 37
edited 30. Apr 2011, 16:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello!

I just wondered if anybody might have some tips for getting around on holiday...

I am going to Barcelona in a couple of weeks with my good friend whom I haven't seen for 5 years which is very exciting! I am a bit worried because I am not as mobile as I used to be, and get a lot of pain in my knees and toes and suffer with extreme fatigue and stiffness in most of my joints so I don't want the arthritis to spoil my holiday!!!

I am used to going on holiday every year, but this is the first time I've been away without family (and a rental car!) whilst being this bad, so am a bit anxious.

Would it be worth having some sort of aid to lean on like a crutch whilst I am walking around or should I just try and get around with lots of breaks.
I'd be grateful for anyone else's experience!

Thanks!

Comments

• Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Your mobility problems sound very much like mine. My feet to my hips ache after only an hour of walking even with very good quality walking boots.

I would suggest using a stick/crutch, maybe two depending on how bad you are and how much support you feel you need. I find two are easier as you get into a natural rhythm rather than just leaning on one side only. They are relatively cheap from outdoors shops or mobility centres. I would suggest also getting a pair of leather gloves to pad your palm, because they will get sore if you're not used to it.

Remember it's not giving in, they are an aid. They will help you to enjoy yourself a whole lot more and you may even find you're looked after better by staff because of it!

Make sure you have regular rests as well, even if you're feeling okay, and take plenty of pain medication just in case.

Have a lovely holiday!

Debbie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Lizzie

If I were you I'd make sure your friend knows yhou are not 100% anymore and then add some sticks if you can and if they help agree with Lynn try them out to see if they would actually help!

The ice packs and heat packs that you can take too might be agood idea and of COURSE make packing all medication a number one priority!!

Shoes! Comfy and maybe adjustable/loose fitting? incase you swell on the plane.

Most of all though try not to worry and have a great time!!

Love

Toni xx
  • skinnylizzie
    skinnylizzie Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Great! Thanks for all the great advice everyone.
    I'm definitely going to take some heat/cold packs with me and the folding stick sounds like a good idea too, at least then I can pack it easily if I need it.
    Bus tours also sound like a good idea, thanks Delboy-I do intend to do a lot of sitting in cafes and soaking up the atmosphere :grin:
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi skinnylizzie

Have a lovely holiday....we went to barcelona 2 yrs ago for our 25th wed anniversary......It was brilliant.

juliepf x