Look after your skin

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 29. May 2011, 10:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I've just had an anxious wait for test results for skin cancer. Luckily, having had some moles removed, I'm in the clear. The number of people diagnosed with skin cancer is rising, so I would just like to remind everyone of the advice given by the Sunsmart campaign run by Cancer Research UK. With the holiday season approaching, many people will be going away to sunny countries, and hopefully the sun will shine in this country too, so this is a reminder:

S pend time in the shade between 11 and 3
M ake sure you never burn
A im to cover up with a t-shirt and hat.
R emember to take extra care with children
T hen use a sunscreen (sun cream) with an SPF factor of 15 or higher (The NHS recommends a factor SPF 30 plus for young children, and wear t-shirts & hats.)

Also report mole changes or unusual skin growths promptly to your doctor. People most at risk are those with fair skins, lots of moles or freckles or a family history of skin cancer.

Because I acted promptly, I now don't need any further treatment, so it's important to get checked if you notice any changes or have any concerns about your skin.

There's more information on this link:

http://www.sunsmart.org.uk/skin-cancer-facts/

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    i am so glad for you joan that it was clear you must have been so worriedxxx

im a very pale skinned person and i burn easily so ive always covered up plus from a vanity point sunbathing ages the skin,so as a result im milk bottle white :smile:
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Hi
    I am so pleased for you.....still waiting for my dads results. He hahad a masive section removed on his head and 4 moles taken off his leg. How long before you got the results? I am assuming it is about 2 weeks???
    My dad spent years abroad in spain....and he is fair skin... what more can i say?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I'm glad your worry is over Joan. I still worry about skin cancer as I spent many teen years getting up at 6.30 to sunbathe outside and sitting in front of a lamp to boost my efforts. That hot summer of 76 I was out all the time, brown as a berry and white blonde bleached hair...the things you do when young! I'm hoping I don't get payback for having such fun.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    I am so pleased that you finally got the all clear, I can imagine the relief you felt.

I never sun-bath any more, but do admit like Elizabeth did when a lot younger. And both my girls do not sun-bath so that's good.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • joanlawson
    Hi Kat

You are sensible to cover up, and you are quite right about the sun ageing the skin. When I see young women who lie out for hours on the beaches abroad, I want to tell them that they'll look like shrivelled-up prunes by the time they are older.

Hi Lupin

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, and I do hope he will be OK. You must be very worried, but I'm sure that he is in good hands.

I had to wait over 2 weeks for the results, so it was a bit of an anxious time. In the end, I pestered the consultant's secretary to speed things up for me.

Hi Elizabeth and Karen

In years gone by we weren't aware of the dangers of sunbathing, and I can remember getting very burned on my first trip abroad with school when I was 12. We went to Spain in August, and I don't think the teachers warned us to cover up at all. :roll:

Being out in the sun is good for you in moderation as long as you take care and follow the Sunsmart advice. We need vitamin D from the sun, but must be careful not to burn.

Joan
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Good advice, Joan, glad you got the all clear

Nina XXXXX
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi Joan, I'm so glad you got the all clear. My grandad died of skin cancer many years ago.

Jules x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • joanlawson
    NinaKKang wrote:
    Good advice, Joan, glad you got the all clear

Nina XXXXX

Thanks Nina :grin: I've now had every freckle and every mole thoroughly checked- a little embarrassing, but at least I've got peace of mind :grin:
  • joanlawson
    snowball wrote:
    Hi Joan, I'm so glad you got the all clear. My grandad died of skin cancer many years ago.

Jules x

Thanks Jules, and so sorry to hear that your grandad died of skin cancer. As I said, people weren't aware in those days, rather like the dangers of smoking.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, Joan, that must have been an anxious time for you. My mum had a small patch of cancer removed from the side of her nose, the scar still causes problems as her glasses rest on it. I ma so glad to hear you have had the all-clear and thank you for the tips. I have never been a sun-worshipper but I do fret now as the meth has made me very photo-sensitive. I slather on the factor 50 even on dull days!

There was a report in the paper today that more and more GPs are giving vitamin D injections: as we increasingly retreat from outdoor life health problems associated with the lack of said vitamin are on the increase. It's striking the right balance I guess - as it is with the whole of life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    Hi DD,

It's a nuisance for your Mum that the scar is where her glasses rest. My scars are on my back, so should fade in time. The reason I hadn't noticed that the moles had got larger was because you don't really see your own back unless you look in a mirror. I've also had several moles frozen off with liquid nitrogen, so I've now been thoroughly de-moled :lol:

I read that report about lack of vitamin D, but as you say, it's a case of being sensible in the sun.