Scared 27yo with Hip OA

TheRidler
TheRidler Member Posts: 3
edited 5. Jun 2011, 14:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I'm something of a newbie, and I don't think my problems are necessarily particularly severe. I'm a 27 year old male with moderate hip OA following a rather unpleasant injury a few years ago.

The practical issues are not massively problematic - I can walk with some minor pain and discomfort; I won't be running any marathons but that was unlikely anyway...

However, I my self esteem is very low. I am TERRIFIED about the future, my body falling to pieces before its time, not being able to work, being a liability, not being able to take part etc etc. There are things that I could take part in now, but I'm scared to do anything that might cause damage. Basically, I just want to hide and be in denial, and I am forever amazed at people having the guts to really live with much bigger problems than I have.

Sorry, bit of a whinge for my opening post!

Comments

• dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi & Welcome Ridler :smile:

Sorry to hear you have this condition. I have OA too in both Knees & Hips and I'm just 5 days post op of a LTHR at the age of 46 yrs but life has been extremely difficult for some time now.
    First diagnosed at your age. I was able to keep going until I was 35 yrs then needed stronger painkiller, hydrotherapy & physio and that kept me going but with more difficulty than before until a couple yrs ago, then they tried steriod injections but they were no good for me and after many appointments with the consultants to discuss options it was established the only option for me was the THR as the left hip was too far gone.
    If I had complained sooner there would have been more choice. I now wish I had. Once this hip has recovered I shall see if other options will be available with the others,

Have you spoken with a consultant about future options?

Sue x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    now then.. Sorry you are so low, don't worry though, that can be very understandable...
    I'm sorry but I can't type too much at the minute as my eblows (yeah, I spelt it wrong on purpose, lol) wrists & hands are playing up at the minute..
    We are all here to support though so you're not in your own Rkid.
    I've been going through this in one form or another since I was a teenager so I can certainly understand..

This is a great place to be though.. Plenty of support, advice, info etc..

Hope to chat soon..

Be well matey...
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi Ridler,

There are lots of younger people like yourself on this forum, as you will find out. And if you want to have a winge you go ahead we've all done it at times, you need to, and we understand.

I have OA of the lower back, now some fingers and in my thumbs. Did have severe in the hips but I am now 4 weeks post THR.

Are you on any meds at the moment? Yes I can understand you be in denial, I think we all were at first,but thats understandable. You don't know when these things are going to hit and you don't know how it will progress but now you know that you will people you can talk to who are very good people and help where ever they can

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Hi Ridler s orry you are so low at the moment .Its such a shock being told you have OA or any kind of arther ,i my self have OA of hips and knees.I was told this time last year and i am still trying to get my head round it.The people on here are so good they understand ,thay have been such a good help to me Wishing you all the best Jayne....
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Hi Ridler

I can fully sympathise with you. I was diagnosed in February of this year with OA of the lower back and I too felt scared, in denial, and of course the why me?

I found this forum and had my moan. The people on here were always about to cheer me up and to understand exactly how you feel. I am 40 and thought I was too young to have this but then found out about the kids on here. Real Babies. Now they make me realise that I have nothing to moan about. Yes it hurts, yes we feel sorry for ourselves and because you are only in your 20's you think its the end of everything.

Its not- it might slow you down and you might think twice about doing things but why should it stop you. My life choice is dont let it get the better of me because I am going to get the better of it. I am going to show this arthur that I am in control and while I can do most things for myself (I still have to have help with other things) I will make the most of things I can do.

Try something new and prove to people that you arent old because you have got this but you are prepared to give something different a go. It only holds you back if you let arthur and the pain hold you back.

Look after yourself, and remember you are not alone.

WE ARE ALL HERE TO LISTEN AND HELP OR JUST BE THERE FOR YOU
    Jakib0644.gif
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Riddler
    Welcome to the forum......Its normal to be in denial at first....especially at such a young age.
    I have OA in hips, lower spine and ankle.
    I found {even though I'm a lot older} mine came on very slowly. You adapt to doing things differently without even realising it {because it comes on slowly}We are always here to listen and help if we can and also there is the helpline which is confidential if you think that might be better. Its a free phone number at the top of the page.
    Love
    Hileena
  • 80squeen
    80squeen Member Posts: 69
    Hi Riddler and welcome!
    As others have said, it is very common to have feelings of denial and fear at first (and I think, at difficult times even after a few years for some of us!) I can only really echo the others - people on here do understand. For me, I find the more I know and understand about the condition, the more I feel able to be involved in discussions and decisions with doctors, etc, and that helps me to feel more in control of things I suppose, but not everybody feels the same - it's a personal thing and you'll find yourself what works for you with that side of things.
    I've gone on enough for now, but I would say keep posting and working through things as they come to you.
    Regards,
    Josie
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi riddler welcome, i understand where you are coming from but it is your life your body only you know how far you can go and what you can do.
    it is a known fact that exercise helps protect the joint, i do not know what dammage you suffered but am sure you will have seen a physio who gave you exercises to help. you should when ever posible carry on with these as strong muscles do help. if you are unsure see your gp about going to physio for help.
    we all go through the worry about the future but as we are all different so arther will treat us all different but with oa there is always the chance of opperation in the future so please remember it not the end of the world even if it feels that way at the moment we are here for you val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Ridler
    And a very warm welcome to this lovely forum, the others have said it all, but dont apologise for ranting it will do you good to get it off your chest.
    We all always here if you need to talk more.
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Ridler, Welcome to the forum!! Please don't feel low, we here will make you feel better! We are one big family and I'm sure in a few days you will feel much better. Take care and look forward to chating with you soon! :wink::smile: Amanda, (bubbadog).
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, Welcome to the forum and I hope that you will find us a useful source of information and sympathy!

I have OA in my spine and quite a few joints, but I am a 56, a lot older than you. I can understand you feeling scared and upset, but, OA dosn't always get worse and stop you doing things, especially as their are physio's to give you exercises that help strengthen your muscles and keep your joints flexable.
    If you phone the Helpline here, and you will be able to talk to people who understand how you feel and send you a booklet with useful information in it. You can download the booklet too, if you go to publications on this site.
    I hope you soon get over the shock and start to feel better.
    Love Sue
  • TheRidler
    TheRidler Member Posts: 3
    Well it was a fall, so I fractured my neck of femur, and crushed a few vertebrae. I imagine arthritis in the lower back is due in a few years time. I've known about the arthritis for a couple of years, but I've started the process of actually trying to accept it rather than just pretend it's not there.

In terms of exercises, I do pilates once a week, stretch when I'm in pain, and swim fairly regularly. I could do my exercises more often though. I'd like to get my hands on a bike so I can get my heart rate up without putting undue strain on my hip.

In other news, I've just been invited to do the Three Peaks, but I think trying to walk 25 miles is probably a stupid idea and am tempted to throw my phone at the wall...

Thanks for all the positive messages!
  • stralachlan
    stralachlan Member Posts: 40
    I was diagnosed with OA of my knee age 22, my doc told me to go away and come back when I needed pain killers. Which is exactly what I did, and I had an op last year to get my life back after 3 bad years. I'm 37 now.

But - in between 22 and 37 I had some good times when it didnt really hurt much, and some bad times. So you might find like I did it goes in phases. Dont be afraid to go back to the doc and ask for help. But the biggest thing that made a difference to me last year was explaining to friends & work colleagues what I was experiencing. Before then I tried to just get on with it, and sometimes that led to tears as I tried to hide it and got more & more frustrated. And now I dont have to put up with friends suggesting walks cause the weather was nice without ever realising how crap that could make me feel (although I could probably do those walks now post op)

And occaisionally I did do stupid things like 16 mile walks around the Lake District knowing full well how much I'd hurt later. Its all a trade off, and life isnt over yet. Even if your doc tells you bits of you are 60 (I even had a work colleague get my knee a 60th Bday card after I told them about that comment!!!)

Sounds like you've got the right idea with regular gentle exercise. Keep that going. Cycling was excellent for my knee, not so sure about hips.
  • Cez
    Cez Member Posts: 46
    Welcome!

I'm 27 too and have RA in my knees, hip, feet etc! I was so upset when i found out that the pain i'd had wasn't something that was just going to 'go away' it was likely to be a lifelong condition. When i was finally referred and diagnosed i felt only a sense of relief that i knew what it was and could finally start treatment.

I do think about how it will affect me in the future, if it will affect future relationships etc but the one thing i've learnt with this disease is that you can't tell what will happen from one day to the next so that's the approach i'll have to take! It's frustrating when it interferes with your life but i'm certainly not going to waste the good days wondering how many bad days i'll have or what they'll stop me doing. I have good people around me and an excellent rheumatologist so i guess i'm in good hands!

Good luck x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Ridler

good to meet you.

I am sorry that you have had this diagnosis so young :sad: but think knowledge is power and there are things you can do to help such as sensible exercise like you are and looking after your weight.

As for that walk....can you join it part of the way by waiting in a convenient pub....???

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Ridler, my hip OA started in my mid twenties too. Mine was due to having dislocated hips as a child.

It is a case of keeping a balance. I know what you mean about not wearing your hip out, however the worse thing you can do is to not exercise and let your muscles grow weak. Strong muscles will protect your joint and keep it from wearing out sooner.

Who diagnosed you? Was it an ortho? You need an ortho who can monitor your hip with regular x rays so that you dont let it deteriorate too much before you do something about it. You may be a good candidate for a hip resurface, which has lots of benefits if you are suitable. You DO need a surgeon who is experienced in this technique if you do go down this root. Don't leave seeing an ortho too long.

As for not being able to do anything ... not being able to work ... etc etc Rubbish!!! Your hip will deteriorate ... but gradually and you will adjust. OA is operable. I have a left THR (now 14 years old) a right resurface-replacement (superior to the THR and a year old) I look after someone with autism and I work 4 days a week. I can swim and walk and garden. I have periods in my life when pre op I have had pain - and I now wish I had not waited so long to have my ops ...

Speedy

I can't do as much as a fit 44 year
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.