Too scared to quit

katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
Ive been off work for ages,must be over a year!and yet despite all the threats i have not been sacked on medical grounds yet,i really wanted to go back to work as i missed not only the money but also the social side of it but now i seem to be getting worse my knees are always painful and i find it hard walking,i have to have help getting up and down stairs things like that, i would be better off resigning but im too scared of being without money,will i be able to claim anything?especially as my oh works,im so worried over it all :sad:

Comments

• jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katknapp....iv been of work along time not as long as you ,about three ,mounths i .feel the same as you not able to move forward,and thinking work are bound to get rid of me soon and what will i do for mony.Sorry i cant be any help itsvery scarey ,and reading about benafits ,is even more scarey.I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST,Hopefully someone will come along with the answerse for us both bye from jayne xxxforgive the spelling
  • katknapp
    Thanks janeys,it is really scarey,i just dont know what to do, so worried about it all :sad:
  • katknapp
    im not being paid anymore Del i just seem to be clinging on to a job i cant do anymore,the past few months have been a nightmare without money and i have to do something now,i really enjoyed my job but its quite active and theres no way they are going to allow me to sit at a till for the next 20 years,do i resign or ask them to dismiss me and can i really ask them to dismiss me?what will i benifit from being dismissed rather than resigning?this is all swimming round my head constantly so sorry if its garbled i have just put it down here as it is in my head lol
  • jayneys
    Hi its me again ....i rang the help line on here a few weeks ago and thay gave me anumber to rin g sorry lost the number ,but it was called D.I.L.E.get the number from help line . The chap i talked to was very helpful,and after reading Delboys reply i rememer this chap saying it is better for your boss to get rid off you dew to ill health,and better for you to get on benfits Iwas feeling ill when i rang with very bad side afects from med, head all over the place,hope this helps. Allthe best it will all come right in the end love jayne xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I had six months off work and then went back, as I was feeling so much better ant the pain was nothing much after all the physio and exercises at the gym with a medical trainer.

I was a Care Assisstant and I loved the work very much. For the first few months I was fine, but gradually found that I was getting really tired, and the pain in back and hip was returning, so I reduced my number of shifts to no more than 3 a week. At first that was fine, but then the pain was so bad and I was so tired that my time off was spent resting. So my GP signed me off again.
    My Manager sent me to Occupational Health and went through all the legal warnings and stuff so they could dismiss me. I went on receiving with the ESA I had, by then, been claiming.
    What I'm telling you is that it was all done with good will and understanding on my employers human resources part. They told me that they had to sack me or benefits might not apply.
    Don't give up work, go through the dismisal proceedure, its so much easier for your future benefits. Do get help from DIAL or CAB or the Union, if you have one. I think with all the changes going on with benefits, you do need to be sure do the right thing. You giving in your notice is just classed as making yourself jobless and so its harder to get what you are entitled to. I know how stressful all this is, believe me and I wish I could tell you different. Speak to the Helpline hear, they helped me to feel better about things. Sorry, I've gone on a bit and I hope that you don't feel discouraged by all the whaffle I've written! :shock: The best of good luck.
    Lots of love Sue
  • katknapp
    Thank you sue, your advice is very welcome,i just needed someone to put it clearly for me as you have done,my manager has not been very helpful its been a constant battle but i think they would be more than happy to dismiss me ,the only reason they havent so far is more laziness on their part than concern for me i think,i will go in on monday and discuss it with them,i think also i didnt like the thought of resigning as it made me feel as though i was giving up and the thought of living the rest of my life on benefits makes me feel awful,thank you to janeys too i hope sue and delboys advice has helped you too,i will definatly give dial a ring too hopefully they can help me see which way to go now,ive worked all my life starting at 13 as a babysitter and bottle girl lol(collecting milkbottles from flats for milkie so he could guard his float lol) so its hard to stop now :sad:
  • jayneys
    Thank you Katknapp i feeljust the same as you ,i started working at about thirteen in my mums Band B,AND never realy stoped untill NOW.THANK YOU Delboy and SUE YOU HAVE HELP ME AS WELL .Katknepp things will get better.they allways do ,its the in between that drives me mad all the best love jayne xxx