wrist replacement, fusion or carpectomy, advice needed

lorriewr
lorriewr Member Posts: 5
Hiya, im new to this and have been reading about this topic with much interest!

After a fall 6yrs ago which crushed seven bones; several operations and joint rebuilding has failed. Severe arthritis has set in!
Now, I have to consider either
1 Carpectomy,
2 Resurfacing Capitate Pyrocarbon Implant,
3 fusion
4 a wrist replacement.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone through these procedures. I am 52 yrs old.

many thanks
Lorraine

Comments

• lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lorraine my left wrist is badly damaged with arthritis, the camera could not get in last month and fusion was ruled out as the whole wrist could only be helped by a TWR today I ahd to go back for the dye in the joint for x ray and scans to be done but as she tried to find a gap in the joint she had to pyisically push hard to finally get some dye in, her view was shes never seen it so bad and was amazed I had coped with it so was delighted to find Iris had had her wrist done last week , I've been given lists of side affects including the joint coming apart and will need it redoing and also it might need further work if it works lose and of course infection etc , but i know that I dont have the choices you have and only a TWR could help with the pain, I do at one point remember saying to my Rhumatologist , just cut the damn hand and wrist off to get rid of the pain and I'm sure others can agree with being that low, maybe its easier with no choice but only you can decide what your best choice is, good luck and I'm sure others can help you with that big decision on here,
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Lorraine, I have OA and my experience is of hip ops .. however you learn a lot on this site!! Look at Dorcas threads - do a search or too - for info on fusions and replacements. I would choose a replacement over a fusion if possible - as the former offers movement a fusion means a fixed joint - no pain, but no mobility in wrist either ... haven't heard of the other two procedures, Sorry.

speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    lorriewr wrote:
    Hiya, im new to this and have been reading about this topic with much interest!

After a fall 6yrs ago which crushed seven bones; several operations and joint rebuilding has failed. Severe arthritis has set in!
    Now, I have to consider either
    1 Carpectomy,
    2 Resurfacing Capitate Pyrocarbon Implant,
    3 fusion
    4 a wrist replacement.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone through these procedures. I am 52 yrs old.

many thanks
    Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

What a decision! Unfortunately we do not have any detailed information specific surgical procedures like these, so you would have to discuss them with a doctor, but I suspect it is the post op information you are interested in and as the previous poster said it may be a good idea to look around on the 'Living with Arthritis Forum' for people who have gone through such procedures or just post this on that forum as I am certain people will come forward to share their experiences.

If you wish to discuss your particular concerns about the different procedures please feel free to give us a call and we will do our best. In the mean time this link may help.
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_surgery/hand_and_wrist_surgery.aspx#non

Best wishes

Simona
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Lorraine,

Oh that's a horrible set of choices they have given you. I haven't had writ surgery in fact mine haven't eve been xrays but they are badly restricted in movement, deforming and have quite a bit of swelling and please keep us posted on this one?

If you go over to the LW forum there are people who have had these things done. Iris (Dorcas) has just had a TWR and she also has had fusion. She has got bit of a problem typing just now though.

I have had my feet rebuilt for oa. The choices I had were radical with toes being removed etc etc but in the end I asked the Surgeon what he would do if they were his feet..... He then did a less radical one, no toe removal but a lot few bits of fusing, joint removal and a bit of breaking and resetting and so far its been ok... I think if you trust your surgeon and he knows his stuff ask him whats best, or what he would do if it were his. Sometimes that's a good way to get a decision....

Good luck and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • lorriewr
    edited 16. Jun 2010, 13:49
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Lorraine,

Oh that's a horrible set of choices they have given you. I haven't had writ surgery in fact mine haven't eve been xrays but they are badly restricted in movement, deforming and have quite a bit of swelling and please keep us posted on this one?

If you go over to the LW forum there are people who have had these things done. Iris (Dorcas) has just had a TWR and she also has had fusion. She has got bit of a problem typing just now though.

I have had my feet rebuilt for oa. The choices I had were radical with toes being removed etc etc but in the end I asked the Surgeon what he would do if they were his feet..... He then did a less radical one, no toe removal but a lot few bits of fusing, joint removal and a bit of breaking and resetting and so far its been ok...
    I think if you trust your surgeon and he knows his stuff ask him whats best, or what he would do if it were his. Sometimes that's a good way to get a decision....
    Good luck and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • lorriewr
    Thanks for all your advice. I do trust my surgeon, mr Irwin from Sunderland general, but he cannot adyise me as he says everybody`s needs are different!!, He said he would have one but advise his sister for example to have a different one. The choice of doing nothing is not an option as the metalwork is causing a lot of the present problems! He did also add that the arthritis is so bad that none of them may actually give me any more relief or movement then I have at present...What a choice I must make...Lorraine
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Lorraine,

Flower that really is against the wall decisions. Is there anyone you see at either the hospital or the gp's who can help you to know what to try? Maybe if you posted over on the living with forum someone there will have been where you are and be able to help you more. I really wish I knew what to say was best but I am afraid I just don't know.

What is your gut reaction? Sometimes they are the ones to go with. I really hope you can get some help in deciding and keep us posted and if nothing else we can give you support. Take care Cris x
  • metalmisty
    metalmisty Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I'm hoping I can answer your question. Four years ago I was selected to have total wrist replacements in both hands. I believe they call it the Universal 2 total wrist system. . . At the time I was only one of ten people who had this implanted in the UK. My choices were the same as yours at the time and I chose this as I am a guitar player and needed total movement. I get pain night time mainly because I've pushed myself to much and would you believe when it is raining. I'm on very strong pain killers. The wrists are better then they were, but I was told if I didn't have anything done I would have no bones left. I am glad I chose the system. One thing no one tells you is the rods are hot in the summer and cold in the winter so you need wrist warmers on in the winter and keep them out the sun in the as they will burn. At the time I was in my late 30's. . . The drugs I am now on to slow R.A is Rituximab and pain killers at night. Good luck with your decision. x :grin:
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    well you've answered one of my questions metalmisty, I ahd my TWR last novemeber and had problems healing leaving me with a horrendous scar, its fine now and the range of movement is amazing never having any physio either, but my scar and wrist burn and itch in the heat, I had a total replacment with titanium and some form of plastic,and no cement used, so now know why it heats and itchys,
    I had to have this surgery due to my bones being badly deformed with OA along with all of my joints sooner or later will need replacing, I've just had my big toe joint removed this year so looks like at least one a year being done, so any info we can share is so helpful, I was the first to have my TWR done where I live and my wrist has become somewhat famous becasue of it to many medical staff,