good restaurants- manchester or york

suzyc68
suzyc68 Member Posts: 19
edited 26. Sep 2011, 16:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
Anyone got any recommendations for restaurants in either manchester or york- or somewhere in between. looking for something special- and not fussed about cuisine type- except cant be chinese -makes me ill :(

Comments

• YorkshireLass
    YorkshireLass Member Posts: 60
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Suzy

As a Yorkite, I'd like to think there are plenty in York, but it's more a case of quantity rather than quality and it all depends on what type of cuisine you like. There are a lot of good Italian restaurants in York, La Piazza on Goodramgate has been a favourite of ours for years, the garlic bread starter is to die for, the atmosphere is great and it's situated in an old Tudor property that's looks as though it's going to collapse :lol:

I was going to recommend a Chinese but I won't bother now :sad:
    We tend to go to the village pubs rather than into town though, because they can be quite expensive, although La Piazza is quite reasonable.

If you want any help in checking places out, please ask.

YL
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Suzy
    Hello, 2 of the best I know of in the centre of Manchester are......
    1..Mr Thomas's Chop House, Cross St. ( very central )
    2. Sams Chop House, Chapple Walks ( I think, 50 yards away ).
    Both these are very, very good. Not the cheapest, but great quality. The great L.S. Lowry used to eat in Sams Chop House.

Google both for details, as I'm not sure on the opening times, as I think they are daytime venues.
  • suzyc68
    Hello,

thanks you two. i'm not too fussed about price- its for my fella's birthday in november, so we tend to just go a little crazy (once a year) and have a really good quality meal. i was in york at the weekend, and its such a nice town, i would love to go back and have a nice meal there, but when you dont live in the town its difficult to know of the good places....and the best are usually the random non-chain places up some small street.
    I will google those places and have a look.
    As for manchester- im only 20 mins away- but there are so many places- i tend to go off recommendations.
    cuisine i was thinking either italien, thai, french or maybe like a good steak house. i know he loves thai though... so maybe that.

thanks again- and if you have any others please let me know.

suzanne
  • suzyc68
    now these two i have seen online- i googled for best in manchester, and they came up- so i was thinking of these as possibility, but hadnt heard of anyone who's been. the food looks amazing!!! mouth watering as i write this.
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Suzy
    Vermillion is unbelievable. a fantstic million pound place and the food is very very good.
    The only problem is that it can get very busy at certain times of the week.... top notch though. Alanthemanc