losing weight

angie45
angie45 Member Posts: 30
edited 8. Oct 2011, 02:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
Apologies if this topic has been posted before. I'm really very overweight and waiting for an appointment with the dietician, my GP sent out a referral 11 weeks ago.
I'm at the heaviest I've ever been ,which is definitely not helping where arther's concerned, and so I've been thinking about joining a slimming club or maybe trying one of those diets advertised on telly that provide the ready prepared meals, though if I'm honest I'm less sure about this route. Has anyone used them? Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get my life back and the only way I can do that is to start dealing with the things I have control over, such as my weight. I'm thinking that if I can get my weight down then that'll be a kick in the pants for old arther and his mate itis who have been partying in my body too long and didn't even invite me to the blooming party.
Take Care
Angie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've not used either slimming clubs or diets, Angie, but I think you have a really positive attitude which will take you a long way. I hope the dietician's appointment will come round soon (Sometimes a telephone nudge helps). AC do a booklet on 'Healthy Eating & Arthritis'. (Top of the page - Publications & Resources). Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    I had to lose weight for my THR earlier in the year and I did it through here, we , not me started a diet club on here and I lost about 9pounds before my op. I personal feel that your spending out money, and it can so easily be done at home. See if anyone from here wants to start a diet with you, keeps you company and gives you the incentive.

karen xx
    Karen xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hiya

Ive battled with this and am winning having lost over 1.5 stone and needing to lose just over another half stone....
    I just started eating more veg, no crisps and having things such as fruit with yogurt and mini meringues for deserts.....I look at calories and consume around 1,200 a day was probably consuming nearer to 1,800 a day...Its all about portion sizes and not depriving yourself...
    Also with arfur i do now exercise 6 -8 times a week, twice in gym, started off just arm stuff now its cardio and swimming, walks, weights in the house...Whatever you can do to release the pressure of weight bearing will help you immensely i promise you...
    If I can do it, you can, i was over 17stone....Dont go a Pauline Quirke, its not a long term fix and its not healthy, you can plan your diet yourself and be proud...If you find you get stuck maybe Weight Watchers may help, personally i dont like those sort of group things...

good luck#

Elainex
    angie45 wrote:
    Hi everyone
    Apologies if this topic has been posted before. I'm really very overweight and waiting for an appointment with the dietician, my GP sent out a referral 11 weeks ago.
    I'm at the heaviest I've ever been ,which is definitely not helping where arther's concerned, and so I've been thinking about joining a slimming club or maybe trying one of those diets advertised on telly that provide the ready prepared meals, though if I'm honest I'm less sure about this route. Has anyone used them? Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get my life back and the only way I can do that is to start dealing with the things I have control over, such as my weight. I'm thinking that if I can get my weight down then that'll be a kick in the pants for old arther and his mate itis who have been partying in my body too long and didn't even invite me to the blooming party.
  • angie45
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for the replies.

Stickywicket, I've downloaded the brochure you mentioned thanks for that. Gosh theres an awful lot on this site isn't there? A good few hours reading I would think, which is all good cause while I'm reading I'm not eating. :lol:

Constable, Well done on the weight loss, you must be pretty pleased with yourself I know I would be.

Elainebadknee, Well done you.What a fantastic weight loss. Both you and constable are an inspiration.

Decided to give it a go on my own until I see dietician, and use the money I'd spend on slimming clubs to buy a nice new skinny outfit when I reach a healthy weight.
    Take Care
    Angie
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Hi
    I have just come back from docs this morning with prescription for Xenical. i have tried everything to lose weight clubs, diet books etc can lose about 7 pounds then it all stops. i can't exercise cos of arthur and i'm about 5 stone overweight. Gp will be monitoring me and you can only eat a very low fat diet so hopefully this will work. i am waiting to go to pain clinic,so at present i am unable to prepare meals so use ready meals but cannot afford to try the diet meals to your door as they are way too expensive if you are on benefits.
    If you would like a diet buddy i would be glad to help as iwill need lots of support. i am lucky i have good support from family and friends but i know its only me that can lose weight.
    Good luck Fay :grin:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi I joined WW this month. I waited 2 years trying to lose weight myself cos a fiver a week seemed a lot. For me it is working well and the fiver now seems money well spent. However we are all different and what works for some won't work for others.
    Best of luck

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    From one Angie to another. I'm in a similar boat. I need to lose 2 stone ideally. I've lost half a stone, but that has been from walking an hour six times a week and trying to be good with the diet.

Someone said if you eat pretty well (as in right sorts of foods) don't change your diet, change your plate. Having a smaller dinner plate really does work, and swapping out naughties for fruit etc.

I also found I was drinking loads of tea, each time with sugar in it, and have swapped to sweetners as well now. It's helping, and it slower than some of these others, but it will be better in the long run.

My friend here has been using vibro plates at the gym (the ones that wobble you about for 10 mins). She's lost 1.5 stone in 5 weeks. There is a low carb diet associated with it, but to be honest, it's coming off so quick, it's going to be hard for her keeping it off if she can't keep the programme up. My other friend uses WW, my other friend uses slimming world all with varying degrees of success.

Being in a club works well for some, others prefer not to go to meetings, so there are on-line versions. Worth seeing what the dietician says as well.

Can you swim? I was told this was one of best exercises as your weight in supported and so are your joints but it tones everywhere. Some gyms to a monthly fixed amount for unlimited swims (my leisure centre does an £18 month fee).

Worth checking out. If you want to start a club on here though, I'd be more than willing to join!

Ange..xx

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • cinders65
    cinders65 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Angie

I have been doing the Slimming World diet for a few weeks now and it is a very generous diet. I don't like the idea any meal replacement diets as I think if you are like me and have a bit to lose you can't keep on them long term.

Slimming World is just a very healthy way of eating that all your family could do as well with just adding little extras for them.

If you can't get to a class there is still a lot of support with on line forums

http://slimmingworldsupport.editboard.com/forum

You can also get a good idea and a 7 day eating plan if you log on to Slimming world web site
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Hi , Angie , I have been dieting too as I'm waiting for my knees and hips to be sorted , ( hopefully next year ) , and my advice would be DO IT ! It is by no means easy , but so pleased I've lost some weight as I really am more mobile and also feel happier in myself . Persevere , I still hope to lose a few more pounds too . Jillyb
  • gizmobabe
    gizmobabe Member Posts: 24
    if you have a smart phone, I can't recommend the "myfitness pal app" highly enough, even my personal trainer is recommending it to his clients now.

you put your current weight in and how much per week you want to lose and it tells you how many daily calories you need to consume per day, every time you eat something you just type in what it is and it works out the calories. it also tells you what you would weigh in 5 weeks time if "every day was like today" which is a good motivator.

best £1.99 i ever spent.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I'm with the Slimming world ones :grin: Got to target on it.....as was said ...it is a very generous diet. Especially in the winter the green days {all comfort food eg pasta potatos etc} is great. Then i smashed my ankle, out of action for ages then a THR and Idecided to get back a few weeks ago...no longer at target so having to pay but I have no appetite and am not eating properly so she has put my membership opn hold until I get my eating sorted out. It was pointless paying the £5 a week and not being able to follow the plan. As soon as they get me sorted and I'm eating properly again I'll be back.

Love
    Hileena
  • angie45
    Hi Everyone
    thank you so much for all the wonderfully helpful replies.

Gizmobabe, I have downloaded the my fitness pal app onto my ipod thanks for that. I think its very clever plus I can use print outs of my daily/weekly foods as my food diary to take to the dietician when i finally get my appointment.
    Take Care
    Angie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    My daughter lost weight "on her own" but then reached a plateau. She was very skeptical of these slimming clubs but joined WW and has never looked back. She reached her target weight and attends every week to be weighed. As long as she keeps to the weight range allocated for her height, which is fairly generous she does not have to pay the £5 each week to attend the club. She has kept it all off for 5 years now. :grin: For the past couple of years,she swims as often as she can in any kind of water and also has a wet suit which she uses every once in a while. She has made a whole new circle of friends who are mad about swimming too. Of course WW do not like her much now as they obtain no money from her :lol: but the rule is she can attend weekly for free as long as she does not put on any more weight than she is allowed.

Good for you, you will do it. It does take determination and willpower but you will get there if you persevere.

I wish you well with that.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • pepperflo
    pepperflo Member Posts: 91
    A few years ago, I joined slimming world, and found it the best diet for me, I lived off stir fries, rice, pasta etc and the muller lite yoghurts as well as plenty of fruit, oh and drink plenty of water.

But at the moment I don't have any appetite, not sure if this is down to my meds, but don't seem to lose any weight. surely if you don't eat you lose weight, but not in my case, I only eat at tea time,and have to force food down me then, and cert not enough to feed a sparrow, my Husband goes mad with me, but I can't help it.

So I'm wondering if because I don't eat is my body storing fat to keep it going or are my meds preventing me losing weight ?

I could do to lose a stone, so maybe I could do to try and eat more fruit in a day, maybe make myself some snacks up to nibble on, but If you do start a slimming club on here, I'm willing to join in.
  • hileena111
    Hi Pepperflo
    I'm the same as you...found slimming world great....especially the green days in the winter...lovely comfort food and mostly free :lol: I like that. :wink:
    I decided to start back again....had been at target weight for ages then with ops and one thing and another had stopped going and put on a few pounds.
    I started, paid my fee, but couldnt stick to the plan because my appetite had gone, and was feeling nauseaus most of the time.No point in paying £5 if I couldnt stick to the plan.....so the leader has witheld my membership and says I can start again as a member without re joining which is good.
    Various consultants said that it was my gallbladder that was making me nauseaus and off food but went to see a consultant yesterday {theres a thread somewhere} and he was no help....so sorry cant help you just sympathise with you and wish we didnt feel the same :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • pepperflo
    Hi Heelina I also loved the green days, like you said we could eat as much as we liked, and I did lose quite a bit of weight, but like you now, it would be a waste of money going back.
    Ive had my gall bladder out years ago, so know mine isn't that.
    I also get very constipated with some of my meds, & I also have IBS so I know there isn't much room for more food if i'm not getting rid of what is there already. Bring on the slimfast :lol:
  • hileena111
    Hi,
    My fridge is never without prune juice.....find thats great for being bunged up with theses stupid tablets we have to take.

Love
    hileena
  • pepperflo
    Yuk prune juice :lol: they are the worst thing ever invented, I'll stick to the lactulose, I would just gag if I had to drink or even eat prunes.
  • hileena111
    Morning,
    I dont usually have tins of prunes just the bottle of juice and when its in the fridge and cold its not bad at all :lol: I mean I dont drink a massive glass full of it :lol:

Love
    Hileena